Author Topic: Daily builds version 2  (Read 132284 times)

2018-05-22, 10:46:56
Reply #540

faust

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm using daily build May15, the render time is 2 times higher than 1.7, does anyone have same issue?
I think it's OK

2018-05-22, 11:44:59
Reply #541

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I didn't see any asert builds in Corona dropbox folder for a long time, so unless Zray was given install files from Corona Team directly, i don't think it's a valid explanation for slow rendering.

@Zray, i din't notice any speed issues with daily builds. Maybe it's worth to show some comparison pictures and tell your PC specs?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-05-22, 12:46:02
Reply #542

JuliusB

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for adding the corona volume grid and OpenVDB support! Will the OpenVDB render speed improve in corona 2.0? It feels very slow compared to Arnold. - I know it is the first daily build with this feature :)

2018-05-22, 14:01:58
Reply #543

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thanks for adding the corona volume grid and OpenVDB support! Will the OpenVDB render speed improve in corona 2.0? It feels very slow compared to Arnold. - I know it is the first daily build with this feature :)
Try always using the "single bounce only" setting for the volumetric fx, as large step size as possible (until you see raymarching artifacts - kind of bands across the object), and lower your GIvsAA setting in the render setup > performance tab to something like 8 or even 2.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-05-22, 14:16:11
Reply #544

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
And, waiting for Local  Max ray depth (now it's only a global value), try to change Max ray depth to 3-5.
You will have less bounces, but the noise will be less. 

2018-05-22, 14:29:13
Reply #545

artofcharly

• Active Users
  • Full-time 3d Outsource
    • View Profile
    • The art of charly
Hell yeah!! Thank you very much for VDB =)) Just a little test with Houdini clouds =) It works =) yeeeaahh! Thank you!

2018-05-22, 15:23:09
Reply #546

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
If material has show shaded material in viewport enabled and CoronaMix plugged into diffuse, then every operation with that material takes very long to update (up to 10 s) and freezes 3ds max. Native composite map shows itself much better in this regard (~1 s to update). I'm on the latest build, can't say that i noticed it to be such severe issue in earlier versions.
I am getting about 1s freezes with the CoronaMix node, with plugged 3ds Max bitmaps into it. Reported to the devs anyway, as maybe there is some way to optimize this.
What are your texture resolution settings in Viewport Configuration > Display Performance?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-05-22, 16:00:42
Reply #547

JuliusB

• Users
    • View Profile
thanks  @ maru  and cecofuli:  Your optimization tips helped me , but if you load a 100MB  VDB it is still slow. If I use a 15MB VDB it is of course fast, we used 400MB  Cloud VDBs on one job with Arnold and it was not a problem. If i load this into the scene  i would still watch the inital pass calculation :)

2018-05-22, 16:03:22
Reply #548

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I am getting about 1s freezes with the CoronaMix node, with plugged 3ds Max bitmaps into it. Reported to the devs anyway, as maybe there is some way to optimize this.
What are your texture resolution settings in Viewport Configuration > Display Performance?
All those are set to 4096 px, together with highest 8x AA. I'll try to lower those settings and see if that helps, however i never noticed negative impact before and i need high clarity in viewport textures, when i'm modelling something with blueprints.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-05-22, 17:19:07
Reply #549

Zray

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3darcspace studio
I didn't see any asert builds in Corona dropbox folder for a long time, so unless Zray was given install files from Corona Team directly, i don't think it's a valid explanation for slow rendering.

@Zray, i din't notice any speed issues with daily builds. Maybe it's worth to show some comparison pictures and tell your PC specs?
it is difficult for me to show both examples as I made some new proxies and install daily build version for my render nodes as well; therefore, I do not want to downgrade my Crn. My CPU is 2696 v3, as far as I remember, 1.7 render time is 2h20p, 2.0 render time is 5h15p, the image size is 5k.

2018-05-22, 17:38:44
Reply #550

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
"I do not want to downgrade my Crn"

Not sure I understand fully - does this mean that with the newest daily build, the speed loss no longer happens?
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-05-22, 17:49:42
Reply #551

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
1.7 render time is 2h20p, 2.0 render time is 5h15p

What stop conditions (pass limit/noise limit/time limit in Render setup -> Scene) did you use here?

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2018-05-22, 18:25:18
Reply #552

Zray

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • 3darcspace studio
"I do not want to downgrade my Crn"

Not sure I understand fully - does this mean that with the newest daily build, the speed loss no longer happens?
I don't have anything more to compare with the previous version, someone said that 1.7 cannot use 2.0 proxy files, that's why I keep 2.0 version.
1.7 render time is 2h20p, 2.0 render time is 5h15p

What stop conditions (pass limit/noise limit/time limit in Render setup -> Scene) did you use here?
the setting is the same, I just changed some plants and trees + changed building color.

2018-05-22, 18:37:36
Reply #553

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Zray very nice render, but I see one major issue for me. Your tree shadows are very soft and not realistic. Could be you're using a low resolution image for your lighting as it can cause soft shadows in your renders. Only the very thin branches are very soft shadows if you're going for photo-realistic.

2018-05-22, 18:41:56
Reply #554

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
the setting is the same

Yes, but which is it? I'm asking because there may be differences in noise calculation for example. It cannot be judged without further information or seeing the results. So if you have been using noise level, it would be interesting how many passes 1.7 and 2.0 have rendered each :)

If you are able to, I would send the scene via private uploader for investigation and you will get rid of further silly questions :)

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.