Author Topic: Daily builds version 2  (Read 129701 times)

2018-05-10, 16:51:50
Reply #495

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Not to ensure the ray from the camera triggers the shader, no. The DistanceMap is used to create the variation in 3D space of the volume, and is still used in the cloud flythrough, but the proboolean is used to ensure the camera is never inside the object (same restriction as the old mode, if the camera is inside the object, then the shader starts calculating when the ray hits the inside surface of the object, but then it doesn't have an opposite side to hit, so results are not as expected). So with old and new mode, you have to have the camera outside of the volumetric object.

(This restriction applies to things like Phoenix FD simulations etc too, btw)
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-05-10, 17:01:58
Reply #496

Nekrobul

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Here, i made it.

I skipped boolean trick XD
---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.blackbellstudio.com/
https://www.behance.net/blackbell3d
CEO at "Blackbell Studio"

2018-05-10, 17:38:30
Reply #497

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I never did have time to try a Global, using various objects and CoronaDistance to try different separated clouds (rather than a cube for the separate cloud) - I wonder how well that works? If anyone gives it a go, I'd be interested to see!
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-05-10, 17:41:51
Reply #498

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I just checked placing a camera inside the medium.
It does not work correctly (or "as expected") either when the camera is inside an object (e.g. placing a camera inside a sphere with the volume mtl), or when the volume mtl is used as the global fog.
What _seems to work_ is placing a sphere around the camera, and connecting it to the distance map. We are then getting pretty much the same thing as when using booleans, but the rendering speed made it unusable.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2018-05-10, 20:31:45
Reply #499

Nekrobul

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Maru is right about global volume material.

I made a couple of more qualitative renders (dont mind noise it self it is a bit messed up) and there is a clear difference between global volume(T1) and box with same volumat(T2).

But something gives me feeling that this might work out for local clouds in the sky (but that require some testing to be done. And i just have the scene for this. This one - https://3ddd.ru/galleries/gallery/mistichieskii_most
---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.blackbellstudio.com/
https://www.behance.net/blackbell3d
CEO at "Blackbell Studio"

2018-05-10, 20:36:39
Reply #500

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I like that word - volumat - this should be an official term for some volume property in Corona ;)

2018-05-11, 00:36:15
Reply #501

Javadevil

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hey Ludvik, How do you get the follow surface Fog working ? Does the material go in the Global Volume Material in render settings ? Or is it applied to an object ? How does it know what surface to follow ?

If referring to the Dev Insights video, the ground fog scenes were ones made by myself and Marcin (mine was Ludvik's scatter scene with the cottage, with the ground fog added, Marcin's was the trees with lovely god rays!). You use CoronaDistance with the Ground as the object to follow. To randomize the distance, you can add some Noise of your choice added to the DistanceScale Texmap. Screengrab of the material attached, though you could build this many different ways :)

I used it in the Global, but you could also use it on an object too (the object could be just a cube in this case, since it doesn't need to have any sort of displacement for it, which would be the old way of having random "thickness" to the volume).

EDIT attaching the grab of the CoronaDistance map, though nothing exciting or unusual about how it is made :)

Fantasic, Tom yes thats it, dev insight video, I saw Ludviks name at the beginning and assumed the next shots were his too.
I'll give this go.
thanks

2018-05-13, 21:57:59
Reply #502

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Some tips on making density mapped bit faster:

1, Lower GI/AA - this seems to help a lot. You can go as low as 2, just not go to 1. There's some bug which causes weirdness when GI/AA is at 1.

2, Enable "single bounce only" whenever possible. This is very important. Multibounce just completely kills performance.

3, If you use "single bounce only", then increase Light Samples Multiplier to 4 or even 6. Since "single bounce only" causes volume to scatter only direct light, not indirect, then LSM is now the main driver of speed/quality balance for noise levels in volumes.

4, Step size actually needs to be increased to speed things up, not decreased. Larger values will make rendering faster, lower values will make rendering slower. Good rule of thumb is to start with really large value. For example if you have 10 meter wide cloud, then start with step size of 1 meter. If you see some raymarching artifacts (sort of sharp slices throughout the volume), start slowly decreasing step size until they are not visible anymore.

2018-05-14, 13:27:38
Reply #503

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looking at latest release notes for the Daily from 14-05:

Added options for preserving certain materials to material override
Material override options are now in a pop-up dialog, accessible from render settings
Override can now be excluded from all glass materials, light materials, portal materials, and/or unsupported materials

I remember there was a request to replace missing materials so they wouldn't render the red illuminating material. Maybe this could be added to the override window - a slot for user material would be best. Probably an easy addition and another request you can mark as done ;)

2018-05-14, 16:39:55
Reply #504

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Override can now be excluded from all glass materials, light materials, portal materials, and/or unsupported materials

Awesome...!!!
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2018-05-14, 17:08:54
Reply #505

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Not as awesome as having finally maxscript access to ETA! ;)

And a quicktest regarding overrides shows: Multisub materials seem to be category "unsupported"? As for me multisub materials are preserved when checking "Preserve unsupported materials" - even when they contain Corona materials.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2018-05-14, 17:21:37
Reply #506

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Awesome...!!!

Yes, nice. But, and this might be a stupid question, what counts as a glass material? Refractive materials?

2018-05-14, 17:29:47
Reply #507

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
what counts as a glass material?

It looks like just every material with refraction > 0.05 is "glass" here. I wonder how that value consolidated.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2018-05-14, 17:47:57
Reply #508

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
This "automatic" way of excluding from override is definitely welcome, but a simple selection-set/list system would be ideal as well I think.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2018-05-14, 17:49:53
Reply #509

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
This "automatic" way of excluding from override is definitely welcome, but a simple selection-set/list system would be ideal as well I think.
ahem, list is there for few years now ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)