Author Topic: Metals in viewport  (Read 2041 times)

2017-09-27, 01:38:03

Jpjapers

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

Im probably being stupid but is there a way to get materials with high IOR to display in the viewport? Currently they just display black.

2017-09-27, 11:18:19
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Only by using shell material and replacing viewport submaterial with something that has non zero diffuse.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-09-27, 12:42:10
Reply #2

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Lot easier actually, I use this workaround also in V-Ray where refraction at 1.0 makes glass invisible.

Just plug for example CoronaColor set to complete black, or Output map with RGB Level at 0, or Multiply map with both slots set to black (pretty much anything that outputs just plain black color and is not slow) into diffuse slot of your material. You will then have correct black diffuse for metals in render. Now you can simply change your diffuse color swatch in your CoronaMTL to bright gray, to represent metal, but rendering will still use the map in the diffuse slot, and diffuse color swatch in CoronaMTL will be ignored, so everything will work right :)

2017-09-27, 15:52:41
Reply #3

davemahi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • iamstatic
Lot easier actually, I use this workaround also in V-Ray where refraction at 1.0 makes glass invisible.

Just plug for example CoronaColor set to complete black, or Output map with RGB Level at 0, or Multiply map with both slots set to black (pretty much anything that outputs just plain black color and is not slow) into diffuse slot of your material. You will then have correct black diffuse for metals in render. Now you can simply change your diffuse color swatch in your CoronaMTL to bright gray, to represent metal, but rendering will still use the map in the diffuse slot, and diffuse color swatch in CoronaMTL will be ignored, so everything will work right :)

Exactly. This is a nice little trick to solve that problem. Thanks for sharing it.