Author Topic: Recent Spaces - Cameron Design House - Parts I and II  (Read 6841 times)

2017-09-26, 16:08:16

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Hi all,

We are thrilled to publish a large and unique body of work for Cameron Design House - a London-based luminaire design and manufacturing studio. We were given more or less free-reign to design and adapt all of these spaces for these beautiful lights to be displayed and we hope you'll enjoy this first set, with more to be published over the coming months.

PART I
http://www.recentspaces.com/cameron-design-house-part-one

PART II
http://www.recentspaces.com/cameron-design-house-part-two

And a few preview images:

Many many more here: http://www.recentspaces.com/cameron-design-house-part-one

Cheers and see you in Venice in a week!
« Last Edit: 2017-09-26, 16:38:59 by alexyork »
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-09-26, 17:46:14
Reply #1

fraine7

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2017-09-26, 17:49:23
Reply #2

iainbanks

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Fraine7!
Iain Banks
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-09-26, 18:41:54
Reply #3

plusvisual

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Holy hell guys, incredible work! I really appreciate the camera work - too often do I see people trying to replicate a hand-held camera and an extreme over-use of DOF and changing focus... this was simple, subtle, and beautiful - almost as if you had someone who knows how to use a camera ;)

Really guys, kudos. Wondering what the render time per frame for the animation was? Must have been quite a bit of power to push that through.

2017-09-26, 19:00:00
Reply #4

iainbanks

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Holy hell guys, incredible work! I really appreciate the camera work - too often do I see people trying to replicate a hand-held camera and an extreme over-use of DOF and changing focus... this was simple, subtle, and beautiful - almost as if you had someone who knows how to use a camera ;)

Really guys, kudos. Wondering what the render time per frame for the animation was? Must have been quite a bit of power to push that through.

Thanks plusvisual, We usually do approach each project with a photographers frame of mind as much as possible.  Render times varied between 15mins to 1 hour per frame on a dual xeon 64cores systems.

Iain
Iain Banks
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-09-26, 19:32:20
Reply #5

hkezer

• Active Users
  • kezerco
    • View Profile
Thank for sharing great project.
I myself into a little bit animation these days and I wonder

- what is the program you compose it? I was using after effects, but I got tons of errors, and people mostly suggest nuke
- About dof, is it real time or post process? I cannot decide with one is more efficient, since rendering real dof takes tons of time
- at around 00:19 image looks like skipping, I know you use 25fps as its europian standart for tv, but why do this happen? and do you know how to solve it?
- and just out of curiosity, 1 image for 1 hour! it means like 1 second is like a day, how do you manage to do that? When I have similar job, I automatically send it to rebus. Otherwise its impossible for me to finish it.

Thank again for sharing :)
http://kezer.co

co-founder @ ivaBOX

2017-09-26, 20:25:09
Reply #6

iainbanks

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank for sharing great project.
I myself into a little bit animation these days and I wonder

- what is the program you compose it? I was using after effects, but I got tons of errors, and people mostly suggest nuke
- About dof, is it real time or post process? I cannot decide with one is more efficient, since rendering real dof takes tons of time
- at around 00:19 image looks like skipping, I know you use 25fps as its europian standart for tv, but why do this happen? and do you know how to solve it?
- and just out of curiosity, 1 image for 1 hour! it means like 1 second is like a day, how do you manage to do that? When I have similar job, I automatically send it to rebus. Otherwise its impossible for me to finish it.

Thank again for sharing :)

Hi hkezer, to compose the animation we primarily used Premiere Pro, with a little of after effects for 1 of the shots where we had to comp some layers together with a little more control.

The reason we used premiere pro mostly and not After effects was because all of the DOF was done in render on this.  Other wise we would use something like the frischluft plugin to create the DOF with zdepth passes.  In the past we have done it like this but figured it might not work as well with the chandelier so close to the camera.

That's true, some of the shots look a little like they were juttering but i think this is just a side effect of a lower frame rate and fairly fast moving objects across the image.  Ways to improve would be higher frame rate or some sort of frame blending perhaps.

Yeah there was quite a bit of rendering going on in the studio over a few weeks, but not all shots were 1 hour a frame. 

Cheers

Iain
Iain Banks
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-09-26, 22:18:18
Reply #7

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
There are 3 factors that contribute to movement judder:

1, 25FPS plays really poorly with 60hz screens (majority of them)
2, Sharp filters, or absence of softening (real cameras do not capture pixel perfect imagery, so CG sharp image filters are especially visible as strobbing on digital TVs)
3, Lack of motion blur. For some reason, almost every archviz animation misses motion blur, even the high end ones ;)

2017-09-27, 09:05:22
Reply #8

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be

2, Sharp filters, or absence of softening (real cameras do not capture pixel perfect imagery, so CG sharp image filters are especially visible as strobbing on digital TVs)
3, Lack of motion blur. For some reason, almost every archviz animation misses motion blur, even the high end ones ;)

Ludvik,

Which frame rate would you use to diminish the judder?

2017-09-27, 09:46:52
Reply #9

Image Box Studios

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • IMAGE BOX STUDIOS
Wow...Amazing animation. Good contrast . Congratulations for a great work.

2017-09-27, 10:30:24
Reply #10

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Ludvik,

Which frame rate would you use to diminish the judder?

Any, which will give you whole number when you use it to divide your screen refresh rate. For example 30 FPS:
60Hz/30FPS=2
120Hz/30FPS=4 (Means it would look nice on 120Hz TVs)

That's why you often see movies at 24FPS, to play nicely with TVs:
120Hz/24FPS=5
144Hz/24FPS=6

25FPS was standard for European TVs, because PAL standard (old European CRT TVs) Had 25Hz refresh rate (and ran on 50Hz interlaced/fields rate). US TVs, however, had NTSC standard, which ran at 29.97Hz (Which rounded well to 30hz (And again, it ran in interlaced mode = 59.94hz). And since most of the computer hardware originated in the US, US standards influenced mainstream refresh rates of today's computers screens (hence the 60hz mainstream), and since we are now in a digital age, and most of the TV content is now both made and broadcasted digitally, then even TVs these days adapt mostly US/Computer standards.

So in a nutshell:
24FPS will look good on most TVs, and won't look much worse than 25FPS on computer screens
25FPS will not look good on almost any computer screen, and may look good on some older TVs, and possibly on some new TVs too, due some smart adaptive mechanisms.
30FPS will look great on pretty much anything these days.

However, 30FPS is 16.7% more frames than 25FPS, so rendertimes/rendering resources are significant consideration.

Also, still, keep in mind that not using sharp CG image filtering for animation and -always, no matter what- using motion blur is equally as important to avoid judder.

2017-09-27, 10:54:53
Reply #11

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be

2017-09-28, 11:58:35
Reply #12

iainbanks

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks guys for the comments, and thanks Ludvik for the FPS tips.  The screen refresh rate wasn't something that we had considered when putting this thing together.

However, we've had a fresh look at this and luckily there were enough extra frames to recompose the thing at 30fps.  The Vimeo link is now updated and should look a good bit smoother.

Thanks again guys!

Iain
Iain Banks
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-09-30, 13:38:43
Reply #13

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Thanks guys for the comments, and thanks Ludvik for the FPS tips.  The screen refresh rate wasn't something that we had considered when putting this thing together.

However, we've had a fresh look at this and luckily there were enough extra frames to recompose the thing at 30fps.  The Vimeo link is now updated and should look a good bit smoother.

Thanks again guys!

Iain

There's still some strobbing on the edges perpendicular to camera movement due to the lack of motion blur, but the 30FPS framerate is a night and day difference on my monitor, looks awesome now! :)