Author Topic: Which V-Ray feature should we bring to Corona?  (Read 61988 times)

2017-08-29, 11:28:22
Reply #45

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
From the blogpost :)

Very soon we will introduce compatibility between each other’s assets. You will be able to use V-Ray proxies, materials and lights in Corona, and vice versa. Our goal is to remove or greatly reduce the need for converters, so that you will be able to switch between engines based on your needs with respect to the project you are working on.

2017-08-29, 11:34:24
Reply #46

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I never understand why there isn't universal standard proxy? Why each renderer has to introduce its own proprietary proxy? It's just a geometry storage. Isn't it?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-08-29, 11:55:54
Reply #47

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
because proxy is really something that should be handled by the 3ds Max, but they never stepped up and made it happen, so each renderer made its own. Of course there could be also a separate plugin made by non-renderer developer, but I am guessing you are not willing to pay extra for it...
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-08-29, 12:00:25
Reply #48

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
.. should be handled by the 3ds Max, but they never stepped up and made it happen...
autodesk again .. :|

2017-08-29, 12:52:06
Reply #49

fraxinorum

• Users
    • View Profile
I would love to see Phoenix fire and water sim incorporated in Corona. Get rid of all Chaos' chaos and introduce some Corona user-friendlyness to it.

2017-08-29, 14:19:31
Reply #50

tolgahan

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Architectural visualization & Graphic design
Interactive render with DR.If it is so good by itself How perfect is it with the dr.
Imagination is more important than knowlege

2017-08-29, 16:16:14
Reply #51

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
about DomeLight, I don't have longer experience with vray but what I understand is it is a feature which gives user a room to store custom lighting options, am I right?
if ondra doesn't want it because of it could hurts corona's simplicity but in other hands users really need custom lighting options (including me sometimes).
then .. what about integrate custom lighting inside the CoronaCamera? :)

DomeLight's primary use in V-Ray is not to store different custom lighting options, but just to make image based lighting work in the first place. Without it, HDRI illumination does not work correctly.

There's nothing that V-Ray's DomeLight can store that environment map in environment slot can not.

Multiplier of DomeLight is equal to RGB Level value of Bitmap or CoronaBitmap in the environment slot, rotation of the DomeLight is equal to U offset in Bitmap or horizontal rotation in CoronaBitmap, Visibility, and reflection/refraction multipliers are equal of using environment overrides in Corona.

In general, switching multiple environments with DomeLights is not faster or slower than doing so in the environment slot.

2017-08-29, 18:02:31
Reply #52

iancamarillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile

There's nothing that V-Ray's DomeLight can store that environment map in environment slot can not.

copy your dome light and chose a different hdr. now your scene has two hdrs that you can turn on and off for different renders. how do you replicate this workflow in corona? assign the hdr to a non renderings object? save different max files just for different hdr's? you cant? Please let me know!
« Last Edit: 2017-08-29, 18:06:55 by iancamarillo »

2017-08-29, 18:07:21
Reply #53

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

copy your dome light and chose a different hdr. now your scene has two hdrs that you can turn on and off for different renders. how do you replicate this workflow in corona? assign the hdr to a non renderings object? save different max files just for different hdr's? you cant? Please let me know!

Eh... Just drag and drop another map into environment slot...?

2017-08-29, 18:09:24
Reply #54

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
because proxy is really something that should be handled by the 3ds Max, but they never stepped up and made it happen, so each renderer made its own. Of course there could be also a separate plugin made by non-renderer developer, but I am guessing you are not willing to pay extra for it...

Have you spoken with the SiNi Software guys? They already developed their own one called ProxSI. Not used it here since we only ever use Corona Proxy, but maybe now's a good time to look into that with them.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2017-08-29, 18:40:28
Reply #55

iancamarillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Quote from: Rawalanche link=topic=17249.msg108232#msg108232

yes i do that now. but when you have a max file with 30 cameras, you need to rotate or completely change the hdr based on that view. it would be SUPER DOOPER cool if somehow we didn't need to reassign those custom settings every time you switch cameras. Know what i mean?

2017-08-29, 19:43:39
Reply #56

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Quote from: Rawalanche link=topic=17249.msg108232#msg108232

yes i do that now. but when you have a max file with 30 cameras, you need to rotate or completely change the hdr based on that view. it would be SUPER DOOPER cool if somehow we didn't need to reassign those custom settings every time you switch cameras. Know what i mean?

Yes, but I mean DomeLight does not do that either.

If you switch Camera and want to change environment with it, then in V-Ray, you have to disable current DomeLight and enable another one, and in Corona, you have to replace current environment map with another one. It's about the same amount of clicks.

2017-08-29, 20:04:27
Reply #57

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
I think it´s about automating things and not assigning stuff by hand every time. I'm a big fan of this, that's why I'm always try to use one keyed/animated cam (+CameraMod with all post processing settings) for all shots if possible. So maybe the key here is just to key the env map(s). I would try to do it like this:

Using CoronaMultimap as scene environment map, setting it to "Material", plug the Hdris (as corona bitmap) you need in the slots, key all "Frequency" to zero at frame 0, key slot 1 frequency (for camera 1) to 1.0 at frame 1, key slot 2 (for camera 2) to 1.0 at frame 2 and the rest to zero and so on for every shot which needs a different HDRI. You then have just to render the apropriate frame for the chosen camera without having to change anything manually over and over again.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2017-08-29, 20:59:24
Reply #58

iancamarillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yes that works but what about motion blurred stills?

2017-08-29, 21:01:27
Reply #59

iancamarillo

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Yes, but I mean DomeLight does not do that either.

If you switch Camera and want to change environment with it, then in V-Ray, you have to disable current DomeLight and enable another one, and in Corona, you have to replace current environment map with another one. It's about the same amount of clicks.

I uncheck render hidden lights in the render panel. Then I name the layers based on the cameras. That way I can turn on and off the lighting rigs with layers, which are recorded in state sets eventually