Author Topic: Analog photography approach  (Read 1734 times)

2017-08-25, 22:30:11

Przemo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Something bit different. Lots of hyper-realistic stuff around so different approach with this one. Tried to capture some similarities with analog B&W photography. Resolution and sharpness thus is not crazy on purpose.

2017-08-28, 16:16:50
Reply #1

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Feels like they lack too much.

At a first glance it seems to me as if the choice was made because of hiding the flaws rather than to mimic a style. Especially in detail. Missing soft edges, chipped edges, some stuff (sand, dust...) lying around & caught in crevices. No reflections & caustics, needs better pronounced bump/displace with more diversity in albedo/diffuse (16 bit textures) & a bit more pleasing, maybe simpler aesthetics & composition with more contrast (since it's a sunny day). Shadows seem off based on light source in the first one (helps to know descriptive geometry). Also the front VS background gives it off (learn to reproduce the noise/film grain in CG part or how to remove noise/grain in photo)...

Learn or observe from some good old B&W photography before attempting to mimic a style. ie. Ansel Adams, Peter Henry Emerson "His photographs are early examples of promoting photography as an art form."
Note: With such a simple style (lack of colors, proof for less is more) other details, invisible to the naked eye, start to stand out.

;)
Don't feel discouraged, i wish i were told so many things in couple of sentences instead of studying for decades. It's just an opinion and an advice...

2017-08-28, 17:03:05
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The idea is interesting, and I will be looking forward to an updated version!

The biggest flaw which I immediately noticed when I looked at them were the incorrectly mapped, stretched textures. I would also suggest playing around with the VFB post processing options, which are a great way to make an image appear more photographic. There are even few B&W LUTs bundled with the installer.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us