Author Topic: Bake maps lacking contrast  (Read 10181 times)

2017-07-06, 15:50:31

mike_kennedy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Everyone, We are baking an interior and the bake maps lack contrast compared to the Vray ones we were doing before.
The Corona renders are looking a little flat in the Web GL engine we use.

The App for reference:

https://playcanv.as/b/Yv6PuECE/

Would anyone have some good recommended settings for baking pure light maps that have good contrast and aren't too over blown ion the lighter parts of the render?

I attached my settings, please let me know if I am off some where, new to baking in Corona :)

2017-07-13, 16:59:00
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Sorry for the lack of response, but could you tell us more about what you are doing?
How exactly are you baking the maps, and what kind of maps?
What results are you getting, and what results you would like to get?

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-07-15, 08:07:42
Reply #2

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
because you are using wrong gamma as you attached in another topic, all errors write to you how to solve them, just read it

2017-07-21, 15:18:35
Reply #3

mike_kennedy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'd would love to use Gamma 2.2, but render to texture doesn't seem to respect it.

Is there a way to fix that, here are the proper Corona settings, the wrong image was attached before. We have the workflow for compenstating for the Gamma switch in Vray, exposure control *.45 and it seems to works well, little to much contrast.

With baking in Corona the contrast seems reduced compared to the renders, migth be user error though :)

Also, even with padding of 32 pixels, there are a lot of seams in Corona bakes compared to Vray:

http://vdcdemo.aareas.com/vdc3d/modelpreview.html?modelname=3975I_Mulbury_WebGL_Cor_BM_LM_073-WEBGL%20&username=mikek&date=7-20-2017&version=V1

(Bakemaps and lightmaps both have the issue)

The bleed seems to go to black a few pixels early, where as in Vray it takes the last light pixels and bleeds them out 32 pixels.

Attached is a light map with the UV's super imposed

We are completely new to baking in Corona so there might be stuff we are missing.

2017-07-21, 15:57:08
Reply #4

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
AFAIK RTT respects gamma settings just fine. Use override settings instead of automatic, if you want to be sure.

As for the bleeding seams. I think it's not paddings fault, but the way you've constructed your geometry. If you made your walls and floors overlapping each other, then obviously there will be completely black regions in your lightmaps, and when mipmapping those areas will bleed. I've attached overpainted one of your screens, where i marked problematic area in red colour. Hope it helps.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-07-21, 16:03:23
Reply #5

mike_kennedy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi There,
It's a problem for sure in terms of baking, but I can't remodel every interior we do and sort of have to live with that modeling setup unfortunately.

I don't have the same issue with Vray, and that's the bake map, a straight Png, not mip mapped yet, seems to be an error in terms of the bake, that's using Corona 1.5

Mike

2017-07-21, 16:05:14
Reply #6

mike_kennedy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
because you are using wrong gamma as you attached in another topic, all errors write to you how to solve them, just read it

Sprayer, could you link me back to that post?
I can't find it in my forum profile.

2017-07-21, 16:27:51
Reply #7

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Can you show problem free lightmap from Vray for comparison?

2017-07-21, 16:52:20
Reply #8

mike_kennedy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here is the Vray lightmap and Corona lightmaps to compare. You can see the Corona Lightmaps are off compared to the Vray in terms of padding.
I attached 2 images.
I can upload the files so you can take a look at the before and after.

2017-07-21, 17:31:29
Reply #9

mike_kennedy

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2017-07-21, 19:12:35
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Here is the Vray lightmap and Corona lightmaps to compare. You can see the Corona Lightmaps are off compared to the Vray in terms of padding.
I attached 2 images.
I can upload the files so you can take a look at the before and after.

As far as i can see, both Corona and Vray gives perfectly good padding. Your problem is not in padding, as i said earlier it's in those black regions that lies inside UV shells in Corona baked map. You can see that in Vray map there are darker regions too, but they aren't completely black and bleeding isn't noticeable. I suspect that this happens because Corona gives very precise GI and if there's overlapping meshes in your model, light simply cannot reach it. If Vray bakes the same model with much lighter overlapping regions, it's probably because your render settings in it are tuned for speed and not for precision and it gives more lousy GI with light bleeding where it shouldn't. I'd say it's not Corona does a bad job, it's Vrays bad GI coincidentally cancels out bad modelling and gives you inacurate, but "seamless" result :]

2017-07-21, 19:19:21
Reply #11

mike_kennedy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That's the intent to a degree :) We can't remodel everything, would there be a setting to get this to happen with Corona?

2017-07-21, 19:29:47
Reply #12

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I don't think so. If you want lousy GI, there's little sense to abandon Vray :]

What you could try, is to colour select completely black areas in photoshop and fill it with surrounding colours. That could help to eliminate seams bleeding.

2017-07-21, 20:08:17
Reply #13

mike_kennedy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I tried a few things to do that, it's a ton of work either way, remodel everything or rework all the seams in Photoshop.
The seamless meshes it does work with, here is a simple room thats seamless in terms of the mesh being tight walls to ceiling

https://playcanv.as/b/Up5C9xPy/

Vray, bit less seams in most areas. But the cheat is a tiny bit obvious.

https://playcanv.as/b/5koJkl6r/

2017-07-24, 09:48:12
Reply #14

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us