Author Topic: Vray Hybrid rendering  (Read 12859 times)

2017-08-18, 15:13:33
Reply #15

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
From my experience, Vray RT GPU is significantly slower than Vray Adv on CPU of a price and release date similar to the GPU. Even Bertrand feels that way: http://bertrand-benoit.com/blog/not-just-another-coffee-machine/

So you may arrive at a grotesque scenario, where you for example render a scene on GTX1080Ti + Ryzen 1800X on V-Ray GPU, and then realize it renders much faster on Vray Adv on CPU only :)

I would love to see some of your test results, not being a smart ass but just would like to see the other side of a comparison.  I have been using GPU renderers lately and I find them miles faster than CPU,  I have a 1080ti in one system which is $800, I can't imagine there is a cpu out there for that price that can match it.  I am about to get a Threadripper 1950x so I will see how that performs against the 1080ti, but I still don't expect it to beat it and it's a $1,000 cpu.  If it does beat it great! but the thing is that even if it can beat it by say even 5%, unlike the cpu I can put 3-4 more 1080ti's in the one system, the cost of building cpu systems to compare to that is astronomical. But I really am interested in your findings and that CPU vs GPU article.

Also Bertrand says it might be an issue with his system why the GPU was a lot slower, I have a feeling that was exactly the problem.

I am talking specifically about V-Ray GPU vs V-Ray Adv, not random GPU renderer X vs random CPU renderer X. So if you have V-Ray license, then just pick an average interior scene (something non-trivial) and compare let's say GTX 1080Ti to Threadripper 1920x (not 1950x). That should make the prices more or less match. And then see if your scene renders faster on V-Ray Adv (not Vray RT in CPU mode) with the Threadripper or on V-Ray RT GPU with the 1080ti. You will be surprised. GPU renderers tend to render teapots on planes really fast, but as scene complexity increases, scale starts to tilt the other way.

My personal findings are that I have GTX970 and i7 5930k. Both were released at the roughly same time and costed roughly same money, and while my GTX970 tends to render really trivial scenes faster in most of the GPU renderers, as soon as the scene get's at least reasonably complex, 5930k is significantly faster. However, when it comes to specifically V-Ray RT GPU vs V-Ray Adv, I have not yet seen a single case where the RT GPU with GTX970 would beat V-Ray Adv with 5930k, even in those very trivial scenes.
« Last Edit: 2017-08-18, 15:19:15 by Rawalanche »

2017-08-18, 16:58:27
Reply #16

denisgo22

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Based on my experience in work with Vray RT, i really know that GPU do not support many functions, plugins, maps types existing in 3d max and even in Vray itself,
because of this render all scenes containing Tiles map from 3d max/Bercon tiles/Color correct map / i don't talk about random scattering plugins as FP and others//
very problematically and impossible.
Also Vray RT GPU always deceive with correct render textures and maps in preview mode and final production render, are result always not the same:)
In Hybrid mode render this not only does not eliminate, but only adds these problems:))
Because of this, render not so complex standard work,
turns into redoing the whole scene again with systematically crashes and unstable rendering with lot of errors:)
I tried last version 3.6.03 and unfortunately I can not say anything good about this THING:))
But for rendering teapots on plane this may be very useful:))

GTX 1050Ti
i-7 5820K 32gb ddr4-------------------

« Last Edit: 2017-08-18, 17:04:11 by denisgo22 »

2017-08-18, 19:31:58
Reply #17

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Based on my experience in work with Vray RT, i really know that GPU do not support many functions, plugins, maps types existing in 3d max and even in Vray itself,
because of this render all scenes containing Tiles map from 3d max/Bercon tiles/Color correct map / i don't talk about random scattering plugins as FP and others//
very problematically and impossible.
Also Vray RT GPU always deceive with correct render textures and maps in preview mode and final production render, are result always not the same:)
In Hybrid mode render this not only does not eliminate, but only adds these problems:))
Because of this, render not so complex standard work,
turns into redoing the whole scene again with systematically crashes and unstable rendering with lot of errors:)
I tried last version 3.6.03 and unfortunately I can not say anything good about this THING:))
But for rendering teapots on plane this may be very useful:))

GTX 1050Ti
i-7 5820K 32gb ddr4-------------------

Sorry about the problems you found, I haven't found these to be issues.  I've used Vray RT on some large projects and animations, worked like clockwork, never crashed, and was able to produce everything I needed.  If your using that GTX 1050 for GPU rendering then I can see why your having issues. Vray RT has some great support for large plugins also, but you are right that there are some limitations just like any renderer that's being produced, but never found those to stop production.

2017-08-18, 19:40:32
Reply #18

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I want to say I don't really use Corona so not sure if I set anything up wrong but I do get these weird light leaks in edges.  Besides that I want to congratulate the Corona Devs on making a great rendering software, your GI system is awesome and the VFB is really great, I do also like your tone mapping that is automatically applied, gives a good feel.  Here is the comparison that some have asked for, hope this helps if anything. Basic scene with tough interior lighting which Corona excels at. Romullus GPU B might be that FuryBall...Cough...or whatever that new future GPU renderer is...  I did render corona with a 3930k OC to 4.25ghz

2018-06-22, 08:22:10
Reply #19

realspace3d

• Users
    • View Profile
    • Commercial Rendering Service
I like to share as I find it related and will be helpful especially for newbies. Different uses of V-Ray for Architectural Rendering you can read it here and would love to hear your insights as well.

https://www.realspace3d.com/resources/realspace-company-and-technology-news/10-reasons-to-use-vray-for-architectural-rendering/
RealSpace 3D

2018-06-22, 10:16:04
Reply #20

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I like to share as I find it related and will be helpful especially for newbies. Different uses of V-Ray for Architectural Rendering you can read it here and would love to hear your insights as well.

https://www.realspace3d.com/resources/realspace-company-and-technology-news/10-reasons-to-use-vray-for-architectural-rendering/
Are you sure Corona forum is the right place for advertisements like this? Especially in a year-old thread?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us