Author Topic: Question - Storage  (Read 3453 times)

2017-06-16, 21:21:45

Alcor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys,

I'm looking to make a little upgrade on my computer (it's an old station) and I wondering what's the most usefull solution about the storage.
It's a station without ssd (yes, it's an old station :)) so I'm looking for 1 or 2 ssd but how are using your drives ?
1 ssd for system only and another one for software and main projects or first one for system and software  and another one for your main projects ?

FYI, I will make a major upgrade (cpu, mb, graphics) in few months but right now I really to get a ssd drive. :)

thks !

2017-06-17, 02:18:47
Reply #1

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
(*) SSS = EVO 850 (256 GB or 512) for Windows + Software

(*) 4TB WD Green (for project and data) + 4TB WD Green for backup

(*) SyncBackPRO as a mirroring 1 to 1 software.

2017-06-17, 17:36:18
Reply #2

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Pretty much what cecofuli said. I keep the Windows + Software on the SSD and most other stuff (project data) on a WD Black drive.

That said, I've recently made another partition on my SSD that contains the texture / HDRI repository. Works great :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2017-06-17, 21:47:47
Reply #3

Alcor

• Active Users
    • View Profile
OK, close to whats I thought.

Thks

2017-06-18, 00:34:51
Reply #4

fkoehler

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would steer away from the Green WD's for project and data. At least Blue if you can't afford the Black ones. I've got WD Green for backup only, they are notoriously slow and go to "sleep" quite fast.

Cheers

2017-06-18, 09:50:05
Reply #5

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I would steer away from the Green WD's for project and data. At least Blue if you can't afford the Black ones. I've got WD Green for backup only, they are notoriously slow and go to "sleep" quite fast.

Cheers

+1

WD Green is slow, 5400 rpm drive. It's OK for NAS (where it exists under banner WD 'RED' not to confuse with 'RED Pro' ) but not much else.

500 GB for System drive is absolute must. With 256 you will constantly fill it with cache (esp. from large files when working with Adobe apps). The price difference is very small, 850 EVO costs 150 +/- euro. No reason not to get one.
I would suggest to use this purely for system drive and not partitioning it.

For those who can't afford pure SSD system for storage, HDD+Optane ( once you upgrade to m.2 equipped PC) is good alternative currently.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2017-06-18, 11:25:18
Reply #6

cebli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Architectural Visualisation & Animation
I usually work on architectural animation projects. My setup is
SSD    : 2 x 1tb samsung evo. 1 for system and wip data. 1 for render output exr files. This way I could work with after effect almost realtime.
HDD   : 4tb seagate sshd for recent finished projects and libraries.
Cloud : 10tb hubic. Hubic is great cloud with great price. Realtime sync my wip data and libraries. Also I backup my old data and delete from hard drives. Only thing is download speed not too fast.

I like this setup. My hard drives was always full before this setup.
« Last Edit: 2017-06-18, 15:33:33 by cebli »