Author Topic: non-relevant alpha needed...  (Read 4054 times)

2017-03-27, 19:21:37

Naxos

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello there,

Corona has alpha forced to black, or forced to white, but how can we set alpha ignored for an object ?

I mean, sometimes we need an object to be alpha-seen regardless of the alpha of another object.
For that Vray has alpha going from -1 to 1 :
-1 : forced black
0 : ignored
1 forced to white

Regards

2017-04-01, 23:14:47
Reply #1

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
does making the object invisible to masks (in coronamtl advanced properties) help?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2017-04-03, 09:13:16
Reply #2

Naxos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Exactly, many thanks...

Last need with alpha is to get alpha in reflexions / refractions (request alreay posted somewhere)...

Regards

2017-04-03, 11:18:17
Reply #3

hodryc

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The only problem I see with "visible in masks" option is that if there is an object behind it visible to alpha, the option doesn't override it. What I mean is that would be great if we could have a way to remove it from alpha channel even if there is another objecto on the background covering it.

2017-04-03, 13:41:21
Reply #4

Naxos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The only problem I see with "visible in masks" option is that if there is an object behind it visible to alpha, the option doesn't override it. What I mean is that would be great if we could have a way to remove it from alpha channel even if there is another objecto on the background covering it.

I guess this is the "always black" option, isn't it ?

2017-04-24, 20:02:27
Reply #5

tony_morev

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"always black" = -1

i gotta say after using Corona for a while i still think V-ray had this set up better
object properties were a lot easier to set up for proper alpha than materials

2017-04-25, 09:23:10
Reply #6

Naxos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"always black" = -1

i gotta say after using Corona for a while i still think V-ray had this set up better
object properties were a lot easier to set up for proper alpha than materials

Setting this within a material can help in some cases : you can have 2 materials with different settings put into a multi-sub material, and animate a material modifyer... i use that all the time...

2017-04-25, 18:49:27
Reply #7

tony_morev

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i suppose
everyone has their own workflow
for us it's mostly masking objects, and being able to do that with object selection takes a lot less effort

2017-04-26, 09:47:48
Reply #8

Naxos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In my last large project (billards configurator), i had to render out more than 150 000 png files... so all was set as a large animation for a specific model...
Animating the ObjectID is not easy, animating a material ID modifyer is simple... this is the reason why.

2017-04-26, 09:49:21
Reply #9

Naxos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The topic stills needed : alpha to be ignored, so not "always black", nor "always white"...
something like "alpha ignored"...

2017-06-09, 19:50:39
Reply #10

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)