Author Topic: Proper Reflection/Specular Render Elements  (Read 6982 times)

2017-01-09, 16:36:05

redstarcg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Poltavskiy
So before I post my request I just want to say I love the program and its fantastic!
This request is just icing on the cake for retouching sense.

My main focus with Corona is Automotive work. Right now I have been struggling with two things when it comes to retouching. Enhancing reflections and adding more metallic to my paint.

Corona has a Reflection pass but it seems that it also bakes the diffuse into it or something, is there a way to get the reflection pass to be pure black and only show elements that are reflecting?
Example : When I try to enhance reflections in the side of the carpaint, it will also want to brighten the carpaint itself, this is not what I want. I just want the reflection to be bumped alone.

The second is the Specular pass. I assume this speaks for itself and everybody who has used Vray or any other render engine knows what this is. Can we plz plz plz get this? I know its fake, I know its not real, but it helps bend reality to make Art Directors and Creative Directors happy, and if they are happy than I am happy lol.

Thanks in advance! And wonderful software as previously mentioned!

2017-01-10, 22:02:15
Reply #1

ihabkal

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think these physically real renders like Corona don't render specular, it is all reflection. I am not a pro in materials but have you tried blend material to make a top layer that is pure reflection and bump up reflections this way?

2017-01-24, 13:44:22
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I would also say that it would be best to create the best material possible first, and then only fine-tune it in post.

"Specular" will most probably never be added to Corona, but who knows, let's keep it as a feature request, and leave the decision to our brave developers.

CEssential_Reflect should only store reflections. Can you show an example of the "diffuse" it also affects, and how you would expect it to work?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-01-24, 16:46:24
Reply #3

Romas Noreika

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • romasnoreika
Speculars are not fake, it would just be a useful to have it for more control after the rendering is finished.

I noticed a lot of people are missing that, but then again maybe they will develop a workaround :)
RN

2018-06-21, 18:02:18
Reply #4

Fallen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Has there been any updates to this? Anything in the pipelline? our studio's retouchers keep asking for the specular pass since transfering from vray.

It really helps in post production aspect. Its fine to say do it in the render and materials, but when your making a lot of kitchens in a week its such a great thing to have.
« Last Edit: 2018-06-22, 10:08:58 by Fallen »

2018-06-21, 20:18:03
Reply #5

Njen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Cyan Eyed
Speculars are not fake, it would just be a useful to have it for more control after the rendering is finished.

As mentioned in another thread I just posted in, specular is fake. It is a fast approximation of actual reflections. In the 'real world' there is no such thing as specular. Energy (of which light is) interacts with a surface in two ways: it is either absorbed or reflected. Modern renderers are now doing the right thing and treating light energy in more of a physical sense to get better realism.