Author Topic: Quick question about displacement equivalent feature  (Read 3313 times)

2016-12-27, 16:38:17

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there,

I was wondering if now a days there's anything better than displacement.
Maybe a feature I'm not aware of...
Specifically I need to create wood siding in a house.
Like for example this: https://www.google.com/search?q=wood+siding&espv=2&biw=1920&bih=960&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi6h6vj2ZTRAhUC0IMKHcqZCt4Q_AUIBygC#imgrc=o6BZ60S-SlP1pM%3A

Thanks.

2017-01-01, 13:48:12
Reply #1

Jens

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Ikonoform
Not that I'm aware of.

Depending on how often you'll need to do this and how complex your facades are, I would use iToo's railclone tool: https://www.itoosoft.com/railclone.php it works like a charm and the support on their forum is spot on.

You could probably do it with the new Max Creation Graph found in max 2016 and up, but I have no experience with it.

My small 3D model shop: www.ikonoform.com/shop
My arch viz blog: www.ikonoform.com/blog

2017-01-01, 18:45:51
Reply #2

fellazb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I often use splines and a sweep modifier for these operations. Extremely flexible. Just add\remove extra vertices to delete window and door openings and work your way up.

2017-01-03, 16:16:25
Reply #3

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes. The splines sounds good.
I'm not in the mood to learn a new plugin :)

Thanks to both.

2017-01-04, 08:03:40
Reply #4

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
For wooden sidings I've found a free photoscanned asset with texture. It's kinda high poly (expected) but it looks very good. You can always detach the 4 planks like I did and scatter them around to make it less repetitive. I used it with corona and unreal and it looks pretty nice. www.remnantstudios.com/scans/pick-a-siding I ended making my own texture though because this one isn't very flexible. By the way there are a lot of free photoscanned assets on the site, worth bookmarking!

Actual 3d asset :

On a side note,

I've used parallax occlusion mapping a few times but with real-time engines. I Wonder if that technique would work (or would be beneficial) with offline renderers. I know parallax does not introduce new geometry, it's all in the shader. But it can look pretty damn good imo.

This travertine use this technique : (not my project)

« Last Edit: 2017-01-04, 12:26:38 by philippelamoureux »