Author Topic: [PBR Mode] Question about Reflection  (Read 4889 times)

2016-10-01, 10:21:44

Cheesemsmsm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm very new at this. I've read all Dubcat's thread but I'm not sure if I understand correctly.

This is what I understand;
> I don't have to use "Reflection map" anymore (except Falloff for Metal).
> Leave the reflection level as 1 / 255 color for "every" material.
> Use IOR 1.33/1.42/1.5 for most material.
> I can control reflectivity by glossiness map; low glossiness = low reflectivity as well

Am I understand correctly? Please correct me if I am wrong.
« Last Edit: 2016-10-01, 10:25:10 by Cheesemsmsm »

2016-10-01, 11:07:02
Reply #1

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes :- ).

It's that simple, there is nothing else what we expected from that mode. It's not "make art' button, but surely makes one's life easier.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-10-01, 11:41:52
Reply #2

Cheesemsmsm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes :- ).

It's that simple, there is nothing else what we expected from that mode. It's not "make art' button, but surely makes one's life easier.

Thanks, Juraj.

I couldn't agree more. I think I'll have more time to sleep after this :D

2016-10-01, 12:20:48
Reply #3

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I think I'll have more time to sleep after this :D
It's like buying a faster machine and hoping your render times go down.. Nope - they never do, just the quality goes up ;) Same principle applies here :D
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2016-10-01, 15:19:07
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I think I'll have more time to sleep after this :D
It's like buying a faster machine and hoping your render times go down.. Nope - they never do, just the quality goes up ;) Same principle applies here :D

This frustrates me to no end :- ) In 4 years I moved from 6c/12th to 152c/304th and it still's not close to what I would like.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2016-10-01, 16:44:33
Reply #5

Cheesemsmsm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
freaking true story lol

2016-10-01, 17:09:11
Reply #6

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The IOR btw, doesn't need to be stressed over either. It's not important for that number to be precise at all. If someone was to use 1.52 for 99perc. of his (non-metal) materials, OK, no problem at all with that. Water/Liquids/Crystals are pretty much the only things that deviate to lower number ( 1.33 ).
You can use this number creatively to make materials more reflective or less. The plastic looks a bit bland ? Make it 1.6.

Don't stress regarding metals either. Metals with complex fresnel look almost indistinguishable from those with no fresnel at all. If you want to make your life easy, set IOR to 999, and use your reflective color to represent average color you see from metal ( chrome- middle grey, Aluminium- light grey, Gold.... Gold color ;- ) ... ).

With shader that literally takes care of itself, you now have time to make some nice textures instead.

2017-07-28, 12:30:56
Reply #7

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I've followed this rule of thumb too with just controlling the reflection with the glossiness map and leaving the colour as 100% white. However should it not follow that an entirely 100% black shader in the glossiness slot should render as though there is no reflection at all? Like rendering with only the diffuse slot activated? If you see the examples attached the 100% black glossy looks quite washed out compared to no reflection activated. I've been working on a spec map to control the reflection - very dark in the joints and then lighter on the face of the slate and randomised in their shading. But whatever I do the slates become too pale as they are always at some glancing angle generally - here is an extreme case but I think they would look right if I could control the reflection level right down in the black areas and just pick up some highlights on certain slates.

Any ideas or should I resort to using the reflection map channel?

Thanks