Author Topic: Daily Builds 1.5  (Read 115528 times)

2016-09-08, 11:10:13
Reply #420

sprayer

• Active Users
    • View Profile
sorry to say, but it has been pushed to 1.6 so we can make 1.5 release under 1 month

Will the dark halo effect in PBR Mode materials still be addressed before the proper release of 1.5?
yes, that is our top priority. What we will definitely do before the release:
  • New installer
  • VR warps
  • GGX edges darkening fix
  • Dark highglights fix vs. glossy glass problem
  • LUTs
  • Corona EXR format saving in 3ds Max
Terminator problem?

2016-09-08, 11:16:34
Reply #421

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
unfortunately I cannot promise that one, we tried some approaches and the problem is even more complex than we thought :/ In worst case we will give it another shot in 1.6
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-09-08, 12:02:57
Reply #422

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
And what about determining inside/outside medium? That one is much more important than shadow terminator IMHO. Terminator problem can be simply solved by subdividing mesh in many cases.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-09-08, 12:56:11
Reply #423

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I do not think shadow terminator is that much of an issue either, these days, when we can already afford to render reasonable amount of geometry.

I think what most people complain about is not the fact the terminator issue is there, but the fact that it gets significantly amplified on surfaces with bump mapping. People who complain about getting sharp facets on fabrics and sofas and stuff like that often have strong bump mapping applied on it.

Most of the modern physically based renderers have terminator problem. And even V-Ray, in some of the recent updates about improving physical accuracy and performance started have terminators visible more than before. So I do not have much hopes up when it comes to ultimate solution to the problem, and I think it's simply on of the few drawbacks of modern, more physically based renderers.

2016-09-08, 13:30:59
Reply #424

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I do not think shadow terminator is that much of an issue either, these days, when we can already afford to render reasonable amount of geometry.

I think what most people complain about is not the fact the terminator issue is there, but the fact that it gets significantly amplified on surfaces with bump mapping. People who complain about getting sharp facets on fabrics and sofas and stuff like that often have strong bump mapping applied on it.
I tend to disagree. We often have CAD data or models that we create which are not possible/feasible to create with subdivisions and we are seeing this issue in almost every image we produce, even without strong bump values. Since we also produce lot of high res content it often sticks out and is a pain to remove in post.
If it's technically impossible to fix, we'll have to live with it, but I'd like to see it addressed and worked on if there's a chance to work around the issue.

2016-09-08, 14:20:55
Reply #425

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Ondra, just please don't sacrifice Corona's excellent  bump maps rendering to make terminator appearance less prominent if it comes to that. Vray has less problems with terminator, but it's bump maps are less good too and Mental Ray didn't have terminator problems at all (or i never spotted it), but its bump maps was pathetic.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-09-08, 14:55:34
Reply #426

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
And what about determining inside/outside medium? That one is much more important than shadow terminator IMHO. Terminator problem can be simply solved by subdividing mesh in many cases.
I want to fix this at least for multimaterials/blend materials and for glossy refraction (dark highlights fix). Full switch to normals-based behavior will be probably only later
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-09-08, 17:15:46
Reply #427

antanas

• Active Users
  • Hmm ...
    • View Profile
Something is up with the displacement in 05 09 daily - it seems what it became more ram hungry than in the previous build, it might be something wrong on my end, yet the scene I've tested it on didn't change from the time I've used 02 09 and it seems that where +- 18-19gigs of ram were enough, now it wants 25+ during rendering + jumps way higher than before, during displacement calculation stage - up to 35+gigs

AFAIK - something is not right on my end indeed, last time I've rendered that scene on 02 09 daily it indeed behaved thus as I described, after that windows bsoded during update install bringing itself into a totally unrepairable state - reinstalled it, max, corona and now I'm getting increased ram consumption even with 02 09 daily - I'm at a loss wtf can be causing this, but this surely is no Corona's fault. Ehh, if only corona's Box license could be floating, so I could test it on one of my other\node pc's ....
EDIT 2: probably now it behaves as it should and not on a previous windows installation - it's there where some strangeness was going on not now - as for now, I even don't see any lighmixer's memory overhead for which I complained a few days ago. Still not sure how that is possible ...
« Last Edit: 2016-09-08, 19:42:36 by antanas »

2016-09-08, 17:49:28
Reply #428

j_forrester

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Ondra,

the LightMix button is better now it creates an array from the selected group of lights. Is there any reason why you cant click the "+" button in the RE and it populate the include area with the selected lights. Groups can be quite annoying to keep having to open/close etc. Personally I have never grouped lights, but have been careful to name correctly so they are easily selected. A populate list from selection button would be fantastic!

Many thanks!

2016-09-09, 01:03:49
Reply #429

Noah45

• Active Users
  • press *1
    • View Profile
Yes!, Group LightMix option allows us to use in our current project. 14 cameras in a Retail Store, setup light groups per camera, now that's control. ;]
Retail Illustrator  (for ever' 80's )
3DMax 2020/Corona Version: 6DB

2016-09-11, 10:17:43
Reply #430

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
I recall the future feature of applying denoise to a Corona EXR Dump after render completion. I recently came to realise, that high res 8k+ VR renders simply blow past my RAM capacity while denoising, when the scene eats up about 70% of RAM.

Will it be possible to finish the render, let Corona purge all the scene foliage and displacements and run denoise whilst still getting the same quality? Aka, does Corona EXR retain the passes info needed to properly denoise?

Also: For Vray one thing holds still true: there is a trick to lower RAM usage, in that you use their VFB to set Image size and set the 3dsmax image size to 100x100, so 3dsMax does not create an invisible large framebuffer, that eats RAM. Is the same already true for Corona?
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-09-12, 09:31:31
Reply #431

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
I recall the future feature of applying denoise to a Corona EXR Dump after render completion. I recently came to realise, that high res 8k+ VR renders simply blow past my RAM capacity while denoising, when the scene eats up about 70% of RAM.

Will it be possible to finish the render, let Corona purge all the scene foliage and displacements and run denoise whilst still getting the same quality? Aka, does Corona EXR retain the passes info needed to properly denoise?

Also: For Vray one thing holds still true: there is a trick to lower RAM usage, in that you use their VFB to set Image size and set the 3dsmax image size to 100x100, so 3dsMax does not create an invisible large framebuffer, that eats RAM. Is the same already true for Corona?

This would be brilliant...
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-09-12, 11:01:23
Reply #432

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
Denoising after releasing displacement and other rendering data from memory would require more extensive modifications to the code than what we want to do this close to the next release. It is something I wanted to do anyway, so this will probably happen sometime after 1.5. The main problem will be how to expose this functionality in the UI in some intuitive and usable way without cluttering it even more than it already is.

There will be other (more manual) way which will be implemented in 1.5:
  • In Corona there will be new denoising mode which will just gather the information needed for denoising.
  • We are developing a standalone application (just command line at the moment) which can denoise the dumped EXR (+ perform tone mapping and bloom&glare).

2016-09-12, 11:17:42
Reply #433

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Thank´s for the information Ryuu, and what´s about this question?

Ram issues (primarily VFB related) are the biggest issue for us right now. Searching for any solution/trick/optimization atm.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2016-09-12, 12:23:59
Reply #434

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Thank´s for the information Ryuu, and what´s about this question?

Ram issues (primarily VFB related) are the biggest issue for us right now. Searching for any solution/trick/optimization atm.

Good Luck

I am not sure if that's what you mean, and I am sure you already know that, but you can also disable VFB in Corona (or switch to Max VFB).
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us