Author Topic: Cubemap VR format  (Read 4529 times)

2016-05-04, 09:21:50

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
60%+ of the latlong format renders floor and ceiling, which are the rarest looked at and take up most of the image.
Converting to Cubemaps via converter is an option, but sampling the ceiling and floor so much only to crush it away in a converter is painful.

Cubemaps became a standard now for VR.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-05-04, 14:53:40
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Just a note: this was requested many times, also in our support portal. So I guess we should at least consider adding this feature at some point.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-05-04, 17:08:24
Reply #2

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
What am I missing here? Is this about those 6 images stitched together (while there are enough different conventions to do so to get crazy)?

This?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cube_mapping#/media/File:Panorama_cube_map.png

What would be the difference to placing some animated camera and render out 6 frames (+ stitch if necessary)? Or is this about comfort only? Or a special handling of UHD cache to avoid seams?

Just curious,
Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2016-05-04, 17:25:17
Reply #3

FrostKiwi

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
Just a note: this was requested many times, also in our support portal. So I guess we should at least consider adding this feature at some point.
I forum searched a request post, maybe I missed it.

What am I missing here?
Basically you got it all right.
90° Stereocube maps with Proper implementation for eye distance, the 8cm neck offset, eye conversion distance... Etc.
Sure you can do camera rotation via script, but you lack the control you are used to otherwise.
UHD is the smallest of problems... Denoise will create major seams, no matter how well or clean it is handled.
I'm 🐥 not 🥝, pls don't eat me ( ;  ;   )

2016-08-02, 11:22:24
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
implemented
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-09-15, 14:43:41
Reply #5

mathos

• Active Users
    • View Profile
May I have a possibly stupid question? According to this: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/12000012853-cubemap-camera-is-designed-for-images-with-aspect-ratio-6x1-12x1-in-case-of-vr-camera-different-as
 the cubemaps are in deed implemented - but I cant find a way how to enable this feature in corona - is it only in the daily build?

2016-09-15, 14:57:38
Reply #6

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
yep, 1.5 daily builds have them
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)