Author Topic: How stable is the current "Daily Build"?  (Read 8388 times)

2016-04-20, 15:15:04

danielhagene

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Really want to test the new denoise-feature, but not if it's very unstable :S

2016-04-20, 16:25:24
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
The problem with daily builds is that we cannot tell you what bugs there are, as we are not yet aware of all of them. :)

You can go here https://corona-renderer.com/bugs/ and see what kinds of bugs are reported.

I would say that it's pretty stable. I didn't experience any serious problems with it. But I can't guarantee anything.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2016-04-20, 16:37:16
Reply #2

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Daily builds are as stable as C-4. Some builds have more bugs than others, some builds tends to crash max. Usually most serious bugs are fixed very fast. Less critical ones may stay for a while. I'm using daily builds constantly for over two years - never lost any data because of that.  Anyway, use it at your own risk ;]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-04-20, 18:13:07
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
To be perfectly safe with daily builds:
  • Backup all your scenes first. It may not be possible to revert from dailies to stable build without resetting scene settings first or doing merge scene
  • Leave yourself enough time reserve on a project so you would be able to make the switch to stable build in the worst case scenario
  • If you deploy it on renderfarm, monitor it closely to make sure it is working. That means check on jobs in progress to make sure the farm is not hung up overnight etc.

I am not saying bad things will happen (they dont happen in 98% of cases); this is for when you want to be 100% sure.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-04-21, 04:18:21
Reply #4

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
Really want to test the new denoise-feature, but not if it's very unstable :S
adaptivity + denoiser is already stable for me. and reminding that dev team now focus on another things like VFB and DR.
last week i lost my scene because of revert my scene to stable 1.3, i need to use DR that time but unfortunately it crashed my max when i hit render, i crashes 2 times and it corrupt the scene :(
what makes me almost punch my monitor is that i didn't do any backup first and no max autobackup. but it's already solved by merging all the objects from the corrupt scene to the fresh new scene.

btw sorry for off-topic here, but ondra, why do i still can't use DR in latest dailybuild while out there everyone is able to have fun with it???

-both computer use the same daily build version
-same max version max 2016 SP3
-same OS win7 SP1

2016-04-21, 11:01:14
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
we have some fixes lined up for the daily build, but it wasnt released yet (yay flu season!)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-04-21, 12:11:52
Reply #6

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
we have some fixes lined up for the daily build, but it wasnt released yet (yay flu season!)
many thanxx ondra :D CHEERS!!

2016-04-21, 18:05:46
Reply #7

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
(...) why do i still can't use DR in latest dailybuild (...)

You are not by accident trying to render a negative frame number there in your screenshot? Unfortunately the current framenumber is nowhere to see and the current frame is still not part of the Corona VFB window title. But this would be a typical cause for that error message you get.

Good Luck!

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2016-04-22, 03:51:49
Reply #8

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
(...) why do i still can't use DR in latest dailybuild (...)

You are not by accident trying to render a negative frame number there in your screenshot? Unfortunately the current framenumber is nowhere to see and the current frame is still not part of the Corona VFB window title. But this would be a typical cause for that error message you get.

Good Luck!

hi frood, long time no see :)
but sorry I don't get it.. where can I find the negative frame number you mean?

2016-04-22, 09:58:33
Reply #9

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
where can I find the negative frame number you mean?

I meant just the current frame number you are rendering. When the timeline is set to -10 to 100 for example and you are trying to render frame -5 you get exactly that error (because it´s still not possible in max to command line render negative frames, thanks to the you-know-who company).

I´m sure this could be evaluated by drserver so that a comprehensive error message could be sent to the master. Maybe I´m going to put this on mantis as a tweak request.

Apparently that was not the case in your scene :)

But you should definitely try a DR rendering and check the last few lines of the DrServer logs (drData\DrLog.txt and drData\MaxLog.txt) to get a hint what´s going wrong.

Good Luck!

2016-04-22, 10:14:36
Reply #10

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
if it really does not work, please report it. But I vaguely remember fixing this exact issue some long time ago...

2016-04-22, 10:54:41
Reply #11

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
It does not work (and has never) because of this part of the spawning parameters:

Code: [Select]
-frames:-5
which 3dsmaxcmd.exe is not able to parse correctly ("error parsing frame list"). You can try quotation marks in every combination like crazy - it just doesn´t work. I think this is because you are able to specify something like '-frames:10-99,5,2' as well.

And .... ahh, found it:

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=7857.0

Gonna mantis a reminder.

Good Luck!

2016-04-22, 11:39:08
Reply #12

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
It does not work (and has never) because of this part of the spawning parameters:

Code: [Select]
-frames:-5
which 3dsmaxcmd.exe is not able to parse correctly ("error parsing frame list"). You can try quotation marks in every combination like crazy - it just doesn´t work. I think this is because you are able to specify something like '-frames:10-99,5,2' as well.

And .... ahh, found it:

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=7857.0

Gonna mantis a reminder.

Good Luck!

hmm, I remember that funny bug one :)

now with the latest dailybuild I still cannot use DR, and the image is now darker when I keep the render running (i'm sure it wasn't darker before this dailybuild version). i'll mantis it asap.

2016-04-22, 11:52:11
Reply #13

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
now with the latest dailybuild I still cannot use DR

:o[

But don´t forget the logfiles when reporting. Have you had a look at them?

Good Luck!

2016-04-22, 12:25:49
Reply #14

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
now with the latest dailybuild I still cannot use DR

:o[

But don´t forget the logfiles when reporting. Have you had a look at them?

Good Luck!

I've just report it. attached log files there too. thanx :)