Author Topic: Primrose Hill - Animation & Stills  (Read 14552 times)

2016-04-04, 12:33:39

alexyork

• Active Users
  • Partner at Recent Spaces
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Hi folks,

Putting adaptivity and denoising to the test, this was rendered entirely using one of the recent daily builds and the render time savings were simply massive. Typically, before these tools, we were looking at around 250-300 passes per frame and approx. 30 mins per frame on our workstations. With A&D enabled this dropped to 50-85 passes per frame and 7-11mins per frame. Massive time-saving and no issues with flickering/weirdness/loss of detail.

For us the main thing that could be improved here would be a simple include/exclude option so we can enable/disable denoising where needed in a shot.

If anyone has any questions about our workflow let us know. Hope you enjoy ;) (Video best viewed with sound up!).

http://www.recentspaces.com/work#/primrose-hill/  to see them larger.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: 2016-05-09, 15:12:58 by alexyork »
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-04-04, 12:43:29
Reply #1

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be

2016-04-04, 13:14:06
Reply #2

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Wow thats really beautiful and really clean! Those times are pretty darn quick even on a dual xeon. Im really struggling on an internal animation at the moment - sadly only on the C4D version so no adaption. Im still quite noisy at 30mins on my workstation at 720p. Any tips for optimizing internal animations? Im using portals which has made a difference but its still quite slow. Im also getting noise in direct light from the spot lights which I find odd and changing the AA/GI balance doesnt seem to help much just makes it longer to render each pass so it looks cleaner but takes longer. I am using some IES lights and sunlight/env is HDRI, I don't know if thats slowing me down. The external shots are pretty quick and need much fewer passes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cant wait for denoising! Thanks. 

2016-04-04, 13:24:06
Reply #3

iainbanks

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Guys, much appreciated.

Rhodesy - Pretty quick indeed, for the animation we stripped out everything that was unnecessary for the shots to speed things up.  Portals are great to help clear up noise.  I'm not familiar with what version of C4D is on but if its an older version of Corona then i know it wasn't the best at clearing up noise from IES lights. Best to just let it render in this case.

We generally use Corona sun and sky for these types of interiors so maybe try switching out your HDRi for the corona sky and see if that improves it a bit.

Also do a Albedo element pass to check that all your materials are behaving correctly and don't have any extreme whites or blacks.

Hope that helps

Iain
Iain Banks
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-04-04, 13:44:41
Reply #4

Rhodesy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for your help Iain, im a big admirer of your work (who isn't!). Yes checked the albedo and all is above board but I might try stripping out the IES for this to see if they are the culprit. I have quite a few lights in the scene to highlight certain areas and also thought that maybe having more light in the scene would help clear up the GI. But perhaps its working against me. Going to take some env switching gymnastics as the outside lighting works really well with the HRDRI. I will try and strip everything back though. Sadly myself and the architect are at odds with the client on camera paths, with them favouring the literal tour of the building which leaves less room to hide unresolved stuff.

The C4D version has the 1.4 core but still missing some key features.

Thanks again, Rob

2016-04-04, 13:55:39
Reply #5

bluebox

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great stuff guys, I'm a big fan of your works, keep posting !

2016-04-04, 16:52:09
Reply #6

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Thanks guys. Appreciate the kind words.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-04-04, 20:11:01
Reply #7

Abderrahmen Ezzine

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Realy nice Work well done !! my questions are
What's your work flow softs and what are the specs of ur work station so i can compare and have a predictible time ?
Thanks alot

2016-04-04, 20:17:02
Reply #8

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Realy nice Work well done !! my questions are
What's your work flow softs and what are the specs of ur work station so i can compare and have a predictible time ?
Thanks alot

Thank you. Nothing unusual at all - just standard max 2016 with corona daily build, post in AE, running on dual xeon E5-2670v3 workstations (12 core at something like 2.3 or 2.6 not sure).

I would run the corona 1.3 benchmark and then compare against our entries (look for Recent Spaces on page 2 I think). That should give you a fair idea for comparison.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-04-04, 21:05:25
Reply #9

JonG

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Nice set of images and video!

One thing distracts me though... The tiling on the ceiling in the first image.

2016-04-04, 23:06:35
Reply #10

guest_guest

@alexyork

what's your Adaptivity / denoiser settings??

2016-04-05, 09:03:17
Reply #11

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
@alexyork

what's your Adaptivity / denoiser settings??

JonG - hah, fair point. Thanks for mentioning!

Guest - Adaptivity is default, Denoiser is set to 0.6 rather than 1.0. Personally I think the default should be 0.6. It seems to be a sweet-spot for best results without causing artifacts.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com

2016-04-05, 10:51:36
Reply #12

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Don't you miss those good old mental ray days? ;D

2016-04-05, 11:47:13
Reply #13

erkuttaner

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Impressive work.Could you show us a frame of animation with and without adaptivity/denoiser at same amount of passes?

2016-04-05, 14:00:18
Reply #14

alexyork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • RECENT SPACES
Don't you miss those good old mental ray days? ;D

At the time I loved MR. Gave talks on it, even. But no, I don't miss it :)

Erkuttaner - many thanks. I don't think we have any frames saved out with no denoising for this project but keep an eye out for an article soon with comparison images just like this.
Alex York
Partner
RECENT SPACES
recentspaces.com