Author Topic: Corona Light Selects  (Read 7676 times)

2016-01-22, 09:38:39

CASA_MT

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi @ all,

there has already been a topic regarding this, but it has been dead for a long time, so I figured I might start a new one with a little more in-depth-discussion.

I am talking about the LightSelect-renderelements, which a lot of you might know from Vray.
For evereyone who does not know: It is a renderelement, which contains the direct illumination of a light-source (and just the light-source, not all of the lights combined).
It is useful for adding more light in Post-production, without altering the image as a whole.

I realised 3 projects in Corona so far and due to the very nice Interactive Rendering, we managed to set the intensity of the lights already in 3ds max, so that an adding of more illuminance was almost never a real issue.

Still, we will face some projects soon, in which the feature of having light-selects might again come in handy again.

Are there any plannings to implement this feature into Corona in the near future?
I would also like to know how you other guys handle this or if there is a work-around.

2016-01-22, 14:07:07
Reply #1

nauticus25

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1

A light select render element would be great for dialing in the best light levels.  Even with IES files for the selected light fixtures, often times tweaking is needed in post to get the look just right.

My workaround is to do it manually.  Turn off all the lights except one group, render, rinse, repeat for each group of lights.  Save as 32bit EXR and combine the passes in Photoshop using Linear Dodge (Add) blending mode.  Works fine, but is time consuming.
i9-12900K @ 3.2GHz, 64GB RAM, 3090ti
Max 2024, Corona 10

2016-01-22, 14:39:47
Reply #2

CASA_MT

• Active Users
    • View Profile
This was also my apporach and I can live with it, as I often do not need all the lights in the scene, just one or two groups of which I know in advance, that I want to brighten them in Photoshop.

Still, it would be a lot more convenient to have the render-element, so that everything can ne calculated and saved during one renderjob.

I don't suppose that anyone is good enough at scripting to implement this?
There is an automated light select-script for Vray and I looked into its code, hoping to find how to modify it to get it working with Corona. Unfortenately the script just generates automated Vray Light Selects, there is no fancy "get all Lights"-algorythm or something similar.

2016-01-22, 15:04:29
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I don't think that it's something that could be scripted.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-01-22, 23:51:32
Reply #4

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
This is one of those things I never even knew I had in Vray, but I loved to see it being used on Maxwell presentation. (using their 'player' tool).

Very spiffy...would love to see this implemented in some form. I really liked than in Maxwell it didn't require compositing and I could see it in framebuffer already tone-mapped.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2016-01-23, 10:58:04
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I think we are getting to the point of this being implemented in corona...
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2016-01-23, 12:23:54
Reply #6

rambambulli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Great!!

2016-01-23, 12:25:38
Reply #7

Siahpoosh

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Siahpoosh.Net
it would be great if you make a slider control for each light in VFB too. not only render element

2016-01-25, 10:52:10
Reply #8

CASA_MT

• Active Users
    • View Profile
it would be great if you make a slider control for each light in VFB too. not only render element

ok, THAT is genious.
But anyways, really cool, that it will be implemented, thanks Ondra :)

2016-01-25, 11:32:36
Reply #9

seiq

• Active Users
    • View Profile

this is soo good :))
3D Visualiser - London UK

2016-01-26, 14:51:53
Reply #10

genius3

• Active Users
    • View Profile
+1 good idea

2016-01-26, 16:17:41
Reply #11

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
Never thought about this...  Very nice feature
+1 vote!!

2016-02-01, 13:59:18
Reply #12

vkiuru

• Active Users
    • View Profile

ok, THAT is genious.
But anyways, really cool, that it will be implemented, thanks Ondra :)

Actually it's nothing new, it was introduced in either Fryrender or in Maxwell render way back in 2007 or close to that. Nevertheless it's something I would gladly see integrated in to Corona, as it was such a great tool!