Author Topic: Corona Light Mtl becomes transparent in reflections when "Emit Light" unchecked  (Read 7747 times)

2014-08-22, 08:20:57

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
A7/A7.1/ DB06082014 CoronaConstant (CoronaLight without emmiting) is not reflected.
Conditions:
1. Directly reflect (not through glass(refractions objects)
2. Use Corona Sky in env.slot with default intensity
« Last Edit: 2015-01-19, 15:27:43 by maru »
Corona - the best rendering solution!

2014-08-22, 11:13:25
Reply #1

ecximer

• Active Users
  • Scriptobot
    • View Profile
Why You don't use the self illuminated material?
sorry for my english

2014-10-01, 14:02:52
Reply #2

Coronaut

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I want to confirm this problem, same setup(as you would use LightMtl for backplate(constant)) only on glass with thin(no refraction) option as you would use in windows.
Solution for now(it sound simple but i needed days to figure this out... :D):
It does work(reflect) on normal glass with refraction.
Alpha 7.1

2014-10-01, 19:40:24
Reply #3

isnogud

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Long suffer the same problem.
A7, A7.1

2015-02-02, 23:15:48
Reply #4

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I went over the code, and I found out that this is actually by design. Making the light shadow the background for reflections makes the result worse in the usual use cases with HDR enviro + jpeg backplate. Use the ray switcher material for more powerful solution
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-02-03, 15:08:52
Reply #5

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
The problem is that Keymaster said to use rayswitcher, but did not say how. That's not very helpful honestly. So here's what to do..

For background material do following:

- Create CoronaMTL, and set diffuse level to 0

- Enable self illumination and plug your background picture as self illumination color

- Plug this entire CoronaMTL material into directly visible, reflection and refraction slot of RayswitchMTL. Leave Global illumination slot empty

- Apply this CoronaRaySwitchMTL to your background geometry.

2015-02-05, 16:10:26
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I always thought what Rawalanche said is the correct way of adding bg plates but there is still a small issue. If it's excluded from GI, it won't generate caustics. There should be some easy, dedicated way of adding bg plates.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-02-06, 09:56:20
Reply #7

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I always thought what Rawalanche said is the correct way of adding bg plates but there is still a small issue. If it's excluded from GI, it won't generate caustics. There should be some easy, dedicated way of adding bg plates.

Of course it should not generate caustics! The workflow is meant when you have finished your scene, and you are satisfied with everything lighting-wise. So now you just want to add some city or field behind the window while trying to alter lighting of your scene as little as possible, and trying to not affect scene performance in any way either but still want to get it visible in reflections and refractions, which would not happen if you comped the background in photoshop. That's the entire point. LightMTL with emit light disabled was supposed to do the exact same thing! Caustics are secondary light transport, so if you want that, then you simply use the material without that rayswitcher. Or use LightMTL with emit light enabled. But both of these actions will both change the lighting in your scene, and slow rendering down.

Most of the times, clients in Archviz want scene just the exact same way it is, but with different background behind windows. When i did that, i then faced the problem that BG was not visible in reflections, or refractions of object that were right in the middle between camera and windows. So it looked a bit odd when it was photoshopped. So i adopted the workflow of adding cards, that are visible only directly, in reflections, and in refractions, but not casting shadows, nor GI, not anything else that would change lighting or slow rendering down.

Also caustics are secondary raytracing effect, as is GI, so it's not separable, if you had it affecting caustics, then you would have it affecting GI as well, therefore it would be no different than using material without rayswitcher in the first place.
« Last Edit: 2015-02-06, 10:00:18 by Rawalanche »