Author Topic: Corona light issues  (Read 3896 times)

2020-03-06, 10:07:13

Evine

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi everyone, I' almost mad at the Corona Light. When I leave the light visible in reflection, the mirror would make an ugly reflection of the light; but when I turned the reflection invisible, the area would become dark and other items in the scene would be darker too. How can I solve this issue?

Advanced thanks.

2020-03-06, 10:39:07
Reply #1

jrgby

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Have you tried unticking 'Occlude other lights' in the light params?

2020-03-06, 10:46:14
Reply #2

Evine

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes I just tried, but there's still a dark area and I don't know why there's reflection on only half of the mirror.

2020-03-06, 10:47:41
Reply #3

Evine

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Have you tried unticking 'Occlude other lights' in the light params?
Yes I just tried, but there's still a dark area and I don't know why there's reflection on only half of the mirror.

2020-03-08, 16:35:30
Reply #4

Evine

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi, is there anybody who can help me with this issue?

2020-03-08, 20:45:05
Reply #5

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hi everyone, I' almost mad at the Corona Light. When I leave the light visible in reflection, the mirror would make an ugly reflection of the light; but when I turned the reflection invisible, the area would become dark and other items in the scene would be darker too. How can I solve this issue?

Advanced thanks.

The reflections aren't ugly, they are just physical :)
In Corona, an area light basically consists of an area and a light. The area is visible like a polygon, either shaped as a square, a circle or whatever you chose. On top of that area there is the light.
So, like in realitiy where lamps don't exist as ethereous creations, there is a physical base and this base emits the light.
If you have all boxes checked, there is a black area (the lamp) that you usually do not see because the light it emits is far brighter.
Switching off "Visible directly", you now see the black area (the lamp), but its light still reflects in the mirror. Black square in the room, bright square in the mirror.
Switching off "Visible in reflections" leaves you with 2 dark areas. Now the light area still emits lights, but you cannot see this light directly or in reflections, only the underlying base area.
Here comes "Occlude other lights", which should, when switched off, only leave the light in the room, but no visible representation in neither the room nor the reflections.
What causes your half-image, I cannot even guess without a scene.

I hope I could help a bit with understanding the area lights at least.
CU
Michael
« Last Edit: 2020-03-08, 20:49:25 by Cinemike »

2020-03-09, 03:00:18
Reply #6

Evine

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Advanced thanks.

The reflections aren't ugly, they are just physical :)
In Corona, an area light basically consists of an area and a light. The area is visible like a polygon, either shaped as a square, a circle or whatever you chose. On top of that area there is the light.
So, like in realitiy where lamps don't exist as ethereous creations, there is a physical base and this base emits the light.
If you have all boxes checked, there is a black area (the lamp) that you usually do not see because the light it emits is far brighter.
Switching off "Visible directly", you now see the black area (the lamp), but its light still reflects in the mirror. Black square in the room, bright square in the mirror.
Switching off "Visible in reflections" leaves you with 2 dark areas. Now the light area still emits lights, but you cannot see this light directly or in reflections, only the underlying base area.
Here comes "Occlude other lights", which should, when switched off, only leave the light in the room, but no visible representation in neither the room nor the reflections.
What causes your half-image, I cannot even guess without a scene.

I hope I could help a bit with understanding the area lights at least.
CU
Michael

Hey Michael, thank you for your excellent reply. I just thought there may be some settings in Corona Light similar to the C4D's light system in which whether a light is reflected by or illuminating an object is set separately. Regretful to know that there isn't such option in Corona.

2020-03-09, 05:33:19
Reply #7

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Michael, thank you for your excellent reply. I just thought there may be some settings in Corona Light similar to the C4D's light system in which whether a light is reflected by or illuminating an object is set separately. Regretful to know that there isn't such option in Corona.

I am not quite sure I understood you here, but you can render a light invisible except for its effects by unchecking "Visible directly" and "Occlude other lights", there's also the Exlude/Include list plus a compositing tag for the affected objects.
As for your issue with "Occlude other lights" (the partly odd image result) there is not much to say without knowing your scene setup.

CU
Michael

2020-03-09, 10:55:50
Reply #8

Evine

• Active Users
    • View Profile

I am not quite sure I understood you here, but you can render a light invisible except for its effects by unchecking "Visible directly" and "Occlude other lights", there's also the Exlude/Include list plus a compositing tag for the affected objects.
As for your issue with "Occlude other lights" (the partly odd image result) there is not much to say without knowing your scene setup.

CU
Michael

Sorry for confusing you. My English is not very good :)
I mean in C4D's default light system, I can decide whether an object is reflected by another particular object. That is to say, in the scene I posted, I can make the mirror reflect all the things except the light. I can't find such setting in the Corona's light system.

2020-03-09, 20:56:29
Reply #9

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry for confusing you. My English is not very good :)
I mean in C4D's default light system, I can decide whether an object is reflected by another particular object. That is to say, in the scene I posted, I can make the mirror reflect all the things except the light. I can't find such setting in the Corona's light system.

Don't worry, it was not your English. Sometimes I just misunderstand a problem.
No, these controls are actually missing with the corona lights.