Author Topic: New Physical Material Shader and Shadows bug  (Read 2501 times)

2021-02-10, 20:20:06

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
Hi,

I discover something weird a while ago.
I have a scene all made with the new Physical Material shader and when for an object which I need to use as a backplate in my scene I turn off "Produce and Receive shadows" from it's properties menu some weird shadows effect occur! Look at my example I post here. The shadows are produced (which they shouldn't) and part of them are missing.

Make a plane and apply the new Physical shader.
Make a box on it, you can also leave it without material.
Open it's properties and turn off Produce and Receive Shadows.
Put a Sun or HDR and render...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Dionysios -

2021-02-11, 02:33:14
Reply #1

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't get the weird shadows break up of the shadows, maybe best if you upload that scene.

The appearance of the "shadow" seems related to the Roughness and IOR of the Base layer, changing those changes the results, in case that adds to the picture of things. An IOR of 1 gives no shadows. And a Roughness of 0 with max IOR of 3 (this is a non-metal) also gives no shadows.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2021-02-11, 10:37:37
Reply #2

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
I don't get the weird shadows break up of the shadows, maybe best if you upload that scene.

The appearance of the "shadow" seems related to the Roughness and IOR of the Base layer, changing those changes the results, in case that adds to the picture of things. An IOR of 1 gives no shadows. And a Roughness of 0 with max IOR of 3 (this is a non-metal) also gives no shadows.

I figure out that the weird shadows are produced by the Roughness map on the plane material.
So we have a bug at the end here?

Thanks!

2021-02-11, 19:15:18
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
It's again one of the light transport issues described here: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000516180
Is there any difference between using the physical material and the legacy material?
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2021-02-11, 19:30:20
Reply #4

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
It's again one of the light transport issues described here: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000516180
Is there any difference between using the physical material and the legacy material?

Yes, with the legacy material everything works as expected, no issues.

2021-02-12, 17:57:35
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Ok, we will definitely have a close look at this. Thank you.

2021-02-16, 15:35:34
Reply #6

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
@Dionysios so I am getting exactly the same results with the physical and legacy material. Please check my attached render and scene.
My guess is that you simply did not enable glossy reflections for the legacy material in your tests.
This is definitely one of the light transport issues from https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000516180

2021-02-16, 21:07:24
Reply #7

Dionysios.TS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Evolvia Imaging
@Dionysios so I am getting exactly the same results with the physical and legacy material. Please check my attached render and scene.
My guess is that you simply did not enable glossy reflections for the legacy material in your tests.
This is definitely one of the light transport issues from https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000516180

You're right Maru, legacy does the same when glossy reflections are on. My fault and sorry...