Author Topic: Quick question - your thoughts on ArchiCAD integration  (Read 10811 times)

2018-07-17, 22:19:55
Reply #15

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
VRay has Revit
Corona takes Archicad (part of Nemetschek group same as Cinema4D is, also some software parts coincide)
globally, both are main BIM apps

looking from a business standpoint, as a long term plan for investment, i think it's a sound choice for the company as a whole - complement each other and, if the need appears, as things can change later on, the talent pool is already at disposal (less risk, less time to transit, more knowledge as time passes and experience grows)

2018-08-08, 14:13:27
Reply #16

Squall_tmo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm an ARCHICAD user/trainer and I think that a lot of users should be grateful for a Corona Renderer Add-on!
I really hope it will be developed!

2018-08-09, 03:42:00
Reply #17

roderick

• Users
    • View Profile
As a longtime user of Archicad I would jump at the possibility of working with a quality rendered such as Corona.  I recently made a significant investment in working with Cinema4D which was very discouraging.  After investing significant time and money, Cinema proved to be very unreliable (the team render function would constantly disconnect, so we would be rendering with maybe 3 computers (if lucky) out of 10 all the time.

Also, when trying to render images in at least 4K pixel size (we needed to have images for full-size letter paper prints @300 dpi for magazine printing) the computers in the team render would constantly (apparently) run out of RAM and simply hang completely.

For many years we have worked with Artlantis with good results and with the recent addition of the Team Render function has given us the ability to generate large amounts of large images very efficiently, but definitely looking for something that can give us higher image quality than what Artlantis can provide. 

My one concern would be that if this would be a plugin from within Archicad, then how would adding trees, heavy foliage, bushes, etc., work?  Entourage is half of the story behind a great rendering, and this sort of things should not be added within a BIM model which already has so much more complexity and information and should not be overloaded with heavy poligons of this type of elements?

Does this force us into 3DStudio to be able to handle this sort of thing?

2018-08-13, 10:58:45
Reply #18

greysheep5

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • cy architecture
Hi all!

You may remember in our last blog post we mentioned testing integration with some CAD software - here at Total Chaos we just showed the first results of testing integrating Corona into ArchiCAD (can't share the video here, but it was very rudimentary initial testing so you aren't missing out on much ;) ).

So now we would welcome your comments and thoughts:

*Is it software you'd be interested in seeing Corona integrated into?
*What features of Corona would you like to see there?
*Do you have other CAD software that you think would be a better fit or has more need of Corona?

Everything is just early testing, so don't get excited one way or the other :)
But we would like to hear your thoughts before we do anything more than these early tests.

Thanks!

Tom

+1 for an Archicad Integration. This would be awesome. As an Archicad User since Version 5.0 (22 now) and longtime Max/Vray/Corona user this opens up new possibilities. Would be interesting though in what manner you could integrate a proper light and material system, if that is even possible or how the integration would work in general?

As architects that also visualize we would really love to have this integration, at least for simple everyday work images without to much hassle of dealing with multiple programs. As the workflow from Archicad to Max is a bit painful and material replacement too, i also second the wish for a cool import/export/translation tool. Marc Lorenz's plugin helped for that, but it is all nowhere near the integration Archicad has for example to Rhino or Cinema 4d (it reads an writes those file formats native).

Cheers,

Chris.

2018-08-16, 10:44:37
Reply #19

rozky

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi I am archicad user. For archviz  I use combo C4D-vray (I think I will replace vray in near future).
Without tools to create enviroment (corona scatter, variation shader, instances, maybe instance resolver, import proxy geometry) it does not make sense to me.
If it is possible integrate it to AC corona it will be awesome.
Archicad 8-23CZE, Corona Renderer for Archicad Alpha 5

2018-08-16, 22:17:24
Reply #20

SAFS

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I give a huge LIKE IT to Corona in Archicad.
Give it also Corona Proxy and Corona Camera and I'll be in heaven.
I'd love to test it.

2018-08-17, 05:44:31
Reply #21

spr0ckets

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As a longtime user of Archicad I would jump at the possibility of working with a quality rendered such as Corona.  I recently made a significant investment in working with Cinema4D which was very discouraging.  After investing significant time and money, Cinema proved to be very unreliable (the team render function would constantly disconnect, so we would be rendering with maybe 3 computers (if lucky) out of 10 all the time.

Also, when trying to render images in at least 4K pixel size (we needed to have images for full-size letter paper prints @300 dpi for magazine printing) the computers in the team render would constantly (apparently) run out of RAM and simply hang completely.

For many years we have worked with Artlantis with good results and with the recent addition of the Team Render function has given us the ability to generate large amounts of large images very efficiently, but definitely looking for something that can give us higher image quality than what Artlantis can provide. 

My one concern would be that if this would be a plugin from within Archicad, then how would adding trees, heavy foliage, bushes, etc., work?  Entourage is half of the story behind a great rendering, and this sort of things should not be added within a BIM model which already has so much more complexity and information and should not be overloaded with heavy poligons of this type of elements?

Does this force us into 3DStudio to be able to handle this sort of thing?

I don't believe this would be necessary, assuming the plugin or addon were done right.

You could and can already do this sort thing with Maxwell render's ArchiCAD plugin which allows you to add proxy objects in the ArchiCAD environment by using simple geometry (cubes and planes) which reference the proxy files loading the trees and entourage and whatnot only at rendertime.
Even the interactive renderer which works concurrent with the ArchiCAD program open loads the proxies just fine and you work normally in ArchiCAD without suffering any polycount issues.

They also had a scatter function which allowed you to create forests all withing the ArchiCAD interface without hogging all your memory and polycount.

And I could do this years ago which is when I last used ArchiCAD with that plugin (i've since moved on from Maxwell since, despite the beautiful light quality of their renders and simple interface,  it's unbearably slow (especially for interiors) and also a memory hog itself.). So I can only imagine what you can do now with an improved plugin and/or a better render engine algorithm like Corona has.

Even an interface for creating and editing materials is possible (like Maxwell had) which allows you to create or load materials with Corona-specific properties.

2018-08-27, 03:27:29
Reply #22

furtonb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't know, how I missed this thread so far...

A very big +1 from me to develop Corona for ARCHICAD as well!
As others mentioned before, I would be curious to see how scattering could be solved.

At the moment a sufficiently working pipeline consists of Rhino+Grasshopper (via the very handy AC-GH connection addon) / ARCHICAD / C4D+Corona for rendering – it would interesting to see, if C4D could be left out of the workflow...

2018-09-22, 16:46:31
Reply #23

prd444

• Users
    • View Profile
GREAT idea!!! But...for this "lazy bastards" :) has to be V E R Y intuitive like TWINMOTION is ( only sliders :)...or just say "render it"), lot of free materials, and lot of tutorials has to be made...support for Unity or UE4.....