Author Topic: OCIO and ACES workflows  (Read 1508 times)

2023-11-22, 18:41:55

Börje

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm interested in implementing OCIO and/or ACES color workflow(s) in my work.

Up to now I had mainly used the linear output when rendering and converted the results into one of the standard RGB profiles, when rendering animations.
I wonder what an exemplary workflow would look like using C4D and Corona.

I mainly use Aftereffects (for motion graphics) and PS (for stills) on Win & Mac.

Are there already any experiences someone would/could share?

2023-11-23, 10:31:25
Reply #1

Philw

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I think its very early days for anyone (including me!) to have looked into this closely. Whereas Redshift etc has had true OCIO/ACES for a while and integration into the C4D document color management improvements from C4D 2023 onwards - Corona's ACES has been purely a tonemapping thing.

I definitely need to take some time when I get a break to see how the new Corona changes integrate.

2024-02-08, 13:32:00
Reply #2

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile

2024-02-15, 10:18:19
Reply #3

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
the info says cronona will render adobe wide RGB internally, but in fact we can change this internal color space  to acis in the experimental settings. does that make sense to use?

2024-02-15, 12:30:10
Reply #4

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
the info says cronona will render adobe wide RGB internally, but in fact we can change this internal color space  to acis in the experimental settings. does that make sense to use?

From my understanding that wide RGB space will get converted to work with the OCIO settings you have set - so if your OCIO is set to ACES then the wide RGB space will get converted over to ACES. That said you will technically still be dealing with whatever colors are available in the wide RGB space itself, so it is more of a compatibility conversion.

If you set the internal color space to ACEScg then you'll, from my understanding at the moment, get the full ACES workflow (if your OCIO is set to ACES as well). So rendering in ACEScg and then converting via OCIO to sRGB / whatever so you can view it on your screen.

That said the internal ACEScg color space is still in the experimental settings because it is a bit... experimental. At the moment it doesn't work via TR (when sharing main C4D as TR client) and it doesn't work properly with batch rendering (render queue).

From my quick testing there is very little if any visual difference between the wide color space and ACEScg. That said if you need it for pipeline reasons... We are working on it :)
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2024-03-02, 14:23:02
Reply #5

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"From my quick testing there is very little if any visual difference between the wide color space and ACEScg"

in my recent test the acis color space looks in some renders quite different, but actually wrong(very blueish tint), in vray it looks right.

so i stick with the default adobe wide for now. good to hear a real acis pipeline will come:)

2024-03-11, 22:00:16
Reply #6

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
i have a lot of crashes when i have a scene open with new Ocia/aces,and open another old non ocia scene in addition. first i gte a message about wrong ocio config, then soemtimes it opens, sometimes c4d crashes.

if it opens i see the old scene uses ocio color setting on(why?) instead the default srgb in project settings.
not sure of this is a c4d issue or corona related.

anybody else has this?