Author Topic: lighting  (Read 4230 times)

2017-02-01, 22:28:30

vinbarg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello corona users, I want to ask for help with lighting the scene, what am i doing wrong? I working on a interior scene, lighting setup was done according to video on Corona channel on YT. Exposure 0,5, HDRi RGB 10 - with same hdri map from Noemotion. Thx for help.

2017-02-01, 23:08:51
Reply #1

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
NoEmotion's HDRI are designed to be used in conjunction with sun systems, not by themselves.

Since it looks like your backplate is an overcast day in; try plopping a Corona sun in there with a size of 64 and intensity of 0.2 and see how that works for you.

*Edit.

The biggest take away I think you should think about is that lighting setups aren't something that are really transferable from one interior scene to another. What works in one scene may not always work in another. Also, not all HDRI panoramas are created equally, some have wildly different exposure ranges.
« Last Edit: 2017-02-01, 23:21:42 by mferster »

2017-02-01, 23:30:24
Reply #2

vinbarg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
THX for reply, i put Csun in to a scene, but with settings 0,2 for intensity it was to weak, rise it to 10, but scene on exposure 0,5 is allways dark.  I must dooing something wrong, hmm.

2017-02-01, 23:39:39
Reply #3

mferster

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I can't think of a situation where you would ever raise a sun intensity to be more than 1 honestly. If it is looking too dark just increase your exposure.

2017-02-02, 11:07:57
Reply #4

KnightTempalr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I can't think of a situation where you would ever raise a sun intensity to be more than 1 honestly. If it is looking too dark just increase your exposure.

Hi sry for jumping in when you say increase your exposure I take it your referring to the camera. If so and for a scene like above what would you suggest

Simon

2017-02-02, 17:33:04
Reply #5

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
What is the main problem?

If it's noise, then be sure to place portals in windows: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000501660
Also some other tweaks may be needed, such as checking whether the noise is in GI or direct light: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000516731

If it's the difference between the brightness of the interior and the brightness of the interior, then this is correct, and you have few options:
1. Add lights inside
2. Increase exposure - this will make exterior even brighter, so you may need to compensate this by using highlight compression or other post processing tools
3. Use different maps for enviro's direct visibility and lighting - https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000515605

Generally you would end up with brightness difference like this in real life too. Just try shooting a photo with a camera while standing in a dark room when there is sun outside.
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2017-02-02, 22:29:36
Reply #6

vinbarg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thx Maru, for reply, main problem is that in Interior shot exterier is alright but inside of the room is too dark, increaseing the exposure will light up interier but burn exterier. I just ask why in this video is everithing perfect, with Int. and Ext. lighting on exposure 0,5?

2017-02-03, 06:49:33
Reply #7

Cheesemsmsm

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I'm not sure if you mean this video.

As you can see, at first he got almost the same lighting as yours. So, watch it again and looks closely what he did.

Also, If you want interior looks brighter under this light condition, the exterior should be a bit burned. It's normal.
I just took some shots from real life situation.

1. This shot looks very similar to above image and yours. (I focus on the sky)

2. If I focus on the drape inside the room, the room is brighter, outside is burned.

So, don't be scared to increase the exposure :D

2017-02-03, 10:37:35
Reply #8

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Yes, obviously that tutorial requires grasp of some basic concepts, such as exposure. It's funny how sometimes people think, that reproducing exact values 1:1 will give them 1:1 same result in a completely different scenario :) That making good images is just about typing in the right numbers :)

2017-02-03, 10:45:48
Reply #9

vinbarg

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you Cheesemsmsm,  you are right  i mean this video you put a picture on.

- i think my scene is little bit different, i have 3D surroundings /grass, hedges.../ so it can be illuminated different like Hdri space from enviro map.

- i know that exterier must be burn a little bit in interior shot, but i was confused when i saw it in video how Int. and Ext. can be well balanced.

2017-02-03, 17:59:10
Reply #10

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
This is also a case of "cameras/computers see world different than humans". ;)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us