Author Topic: Corona Pattern  (Read 6156 times)

2022-08-20, 00:46:59

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for that interesting tool!
What would be great now were some ready-made pattern building blocks for instant experimentation.

2022-08-20, 08:43:55
Reply #1

minimaldesign - Blaž

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • minimaldesign
where is this Corona Pattern modifier in C4D? I can't find it in C4D r16 :)
« Last Edit: 2022-08-20, 09:15:35 by minimaldesign - Blaž »

2022-08-22, 06:13:49
Reply #2

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
where is this Corona Pattern modifier in C4D? I can't find it in C4D r16 :)
Yes, sadly: "Support for Cinema 4D R14, R15 and R16 has been removed (These versions are really old and required lot of maintenance time that we can now focus on improving new and existing features)."
Otherwise, you'd find it in Corona menu, right under Corona Hair, there's Corona Pattern.

2022-08-22, 11:12:54
Reply #3

minimaldesign - Blaž

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • minimaldesign
so it remains to buy a new cinema4d where half of our plugins don't work or other render engine....and the price remains the same for old version/the last working one of corona if we don't change render engine.
Disappointment on every point :(

2022-08-22, 11:55:23
Reply #4

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
so it remains to buy a new cinema4d where half of our plugins don't work or other render engine....and the price remains the same for old version/the last working one of corona if we don't change render engine.

Seriously - R16 was released in 2014!

That's a hundred years ago in software terms.
Of course no one wants to be forced to upgrade all the time - but you can't realistically expect software that old to be a viable option in 2022.

2022-08-22, 12:21:28
Reply #5

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Of course no one wants to be forced to upgrade all the time - but you can't realistically expect software that old to be a viable option in 2022.
We are not even forcing anyone to upgrade - older versions of Corona run perfectly fine with R14+. We just cannot provide new features to people who opt in to stay with 10-8 year old host application.

If you want to use R16, you can use any Corona version up to v8. If you want to use the features introduced after v8, you need to update your host application. Same way as you cannot combine 2010 motherboard with 2020 CPU, for example. If the last usable version of your host application is 8 years old, the problem is really somewhere else than Corona cutting support for it...
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2022-08-22, 16:53:29
Reply #6

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would love to see a little video or manual on the new pattern modifier for settings like object space/world space or whole or crop box and xy, zy and xz. It seems all very straight forward though but I am getting all sorts of unpredictable results. An example file with some presets would also do.

Its so busy here at the office that I dare not try new features. The pattern modifier looks great though.

2022-08-22, 16:59:24
Reply #7

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I would love to see a little video or manual on the new pattern modifier for settings like object space/world space or whole or crop box and xy, zy and xz. It seems all very straight forward though but I am getting all sorts of unpredictable results. An example file with some presets would also do.

Its so busy here at the office that I dare not try new features. The pattern modifier looks great though.

There is already a help article for Max, maybe it can be of use for you.
https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/7713194687633-Corona-Pattern-Modifier-3ds-Max

2022-08-22, 17:48:37
Reply #8

minimaldesign - Blaž

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • minimaldesign

It's just because of other plugins that are "must have" at work and speed up the implementation of projects.
And these plugins don't work in the newer version of cinema4d.
that's why we are on old versions of c4d.
we will study what this means for our workflow and what is better...use new base c4d without plugins and drastically slow down the process or change the render software

2022-08-22, 18:52:21
Reply #9

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
*** or change the render software

Good luck finding a recent one that still supports R16!

2022-08-22, 21:07:44
Reply #10

leo3d

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Leo3D
it will a great must have plug !!!
You are in archi viz, i'm curious about your must have

It's just because of other plugins that are "must have" at work and speed up the implementation of projects.
we will study what this means for our workflow and what is better...use new base c4d without plugins and drastically slow down the process or change the render software

2022-08-22, 23:38:07
Reply #11

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@ Cinemike
tx for the tip on the tutorial for Max.

I just remembered I had bought the Arroway textures 3D gravel patterns a long time ago ( https://www.arroway-textures.ch/products/gravel-1/)  that I never used. But with the Corona Pattern feature now they must be fantastic. I can't wait to try those.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-22, 23:45:35 by frv »

2022-08-23, 01:58:50
Reply #12

frv

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Did a quick test with Arroway 3D gravel. Imported the gravel mesh as OBJ and made a corona material with the by Arroway supplied image maps. The UV's where already imported/placed with the Arroway meshes.

The attached render test where done on my MacBook Air m1 with 16Gb. Testrenders only a few minutes.
Amazing these 3D gravel meshes can now be used with Coronarender in such a simple way.

The test render is a Cinema4D landscape of 20x20 m with the 2x2m Arroway mesh tiled at 10 x 10 (U/V). Time to first pixel is actually very fast. But I had to switch the Pattern modifier of to have any kind of viewport speed. With the modifier on I couldn't zoom or pan at all.
« Last Edit: 2022-08-23, 02:05:14 by frv »

2022-08-23, 07:11:20
Reply #13

minimaldesign - Blaž

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • minimaldesign
it will a great must have plug !!!
You are in archi viz, i'm curious about your must have

Parametric Toolkit, Snap pro etc, etc... ;)

2022-08-23, 09:07:12
Reply #14

fabio81

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Did a quick test with Arroway 3D gravel. Imported the gravel mesh as OBJ and made a corona material with the by Arroway supplied image maps. The UV's where already imported/placed with the Arroway meshes.

The attached render test where done on my MacBook Air m1 with 16Gb. Testrenders only a few minutes.
Amazing these 3D gravel meshes can now be used with Coronarender in such a simple way.

The test render is a Cinema4D landscape of 20x20 m with the 2x2m Arroway mesh tiled at 10 x 10 (U/V). Time to first pixel is actually very fast. But I had to switch the Pattern modifier of to have any kind of viewport speed. With the modifier on I couldn't zoom or pan at all.

excellent result! I wonder, however, if in this case perhaps it was better to use Corona scatter