Author Topic: AI denoiser - permanent crash & other bugs in V6  (Read 2547 times)

2021-05-06, 21:23:06

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Corona dev. team,

today I finally installed V6. Following major bugs observed:

1. AI-denoising pernmanently crashes.
2. Round edges-bump map does not have any effect.

Any suggestions, how to get it running?

V6 seems to render interiors much faster than V5 - and I do want to benefit from this.

Thanks in advance for tips how to fix those two bugs.
Cheers.

Update: uninstalled & re-installed.
Now getting this damaged images after de-noising with AI denoiser (see attachment).

C4D version: 21.207
OS Catalina 10.15.2
Mac Pro 2019 - 16 cores, 3,2 gHz
« Last Edit: 2021-05-07, 02:08:57 by Designerman77 »

2021-05-07, 10:03:01
Reply #1

mmarcotic

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Hello,

this is the first time seeing this, would it be possible to submit a _BugReport.txt to us? (see how in my footnote).
By v6, I suppose you mean V6 hotfix 2?
For b) - Are you making sure your Bump mapping Strength is at 100%

Thanks,
Jan
Learn how to report bugs for Corona in C4D here.

2021-05-07, 11:32:58
Reply #2

mmarcotic

• Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Additionally, could you try to install the latest V7 Daily Build? We have updated the intel denoiser to the newest version and that might just be the fix for you.

Thanks,
Jan

2021-05-07, 14:19:48
Reply #3

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Jan, thanks a lot for your quick reply.

Round edges indeed show up only if strength is at 100%.
This is new in V6. Has not been like this before in V5 (default was on 10%).

Thanks for this tip! Works.

Regarding the crashes when AI denoiser is used - they still occur on all tests using V6 hotfix 2.
Bug teport .txt is attached here.

Regarding COR hi-q denoiser, it does not crash, but still does not clean up round edges bump - and generally all bump map areas properly.
( Image also attached. )
I had already reported this issue over one year ago. At that time it made Corona basically unusable, until devs came up
with the AI denoiser.

I´m gonna give V7 daily build a try now and report how it behaves.

Alternatively, I will switch C4D from 21 to a newer version.

Generally I see that V6 renders so, so much faster in interior scenes and I can't wait to profit from this!
My yesterday's test showed ca. 20-30% faster rendering and also more pleasant / realistic light calculation in the scenes.

Cheers!

2021-05-07, 14:47:54
Reply #4

mmarcotic

• Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Looking at the scene, could you also attach the hdri?
In V7, I am not getting any intel denoiser crashes and/or weird blue lines in render on MacOS Big Sur.

Regarding jaggy edges, how many passes are you letting pass? If you are using the 30s threshold which is in the .c4d file, it might not be enough; Denoiser is amazing but it's still not the only thing contributing. You can also fiddle around with the denoise amount, if that works for you (.65 is the generally accepted value)

Thanks,
Jan

2021-05-07, 15:01:41
Reply #5

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Jan,

the HDR is attached here.

Regarding the COR HI-q denoiser: I am of course aware, that it's not a surrogate for enough passes. :)
BUT: with the same amount of passes, the AI denoiser has not the same issue - at all.
Pics might still be a bit grainy - but equally grainy, everywhere... and not 3X more on round edges & other bump areas.

In many test I had already done one year ago, the Hi-q denoiser showed jaggy edges, even after very, very many passes.... like hundreds of passes.
And generally, who wants to render every time until 1 % noise? That's not the sense of having a denoiser function. :)

Fact is: the hi-q denoiser does not work properly... to say the least & with all due respect to the complicated work of programming such stuff.

Downloading V7 right now and going to give it a go.

Greetings!

2021-05-07, 20:49:31
Reply #6

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hey Jan,

V7 works without the previously mentioned problems.
( Except for the less clean up on round edges-map & bump maps in general... the old problem. )

And as mentioned before, the same scene is way less noisy in V7 than in V5 - using the same render time.

Let´s hope no other bugs occur.
If it stays like this... great job, developer team !

Cheers!

2021-05-09, 15:04:56
Reply #7

mmarcotic

• Active Users
  • Jan - C4D QA
    • View Profile
Hello,

Good to hear that, I hope you'll like V7 (The daily before last even introduced some bigger speed optimizations, so that should also play in your cards)

Thanks,
Jan