Author Topic: Goerlich Apartment  (Read 8257 times)

2020-02-04, 19:44:08

GabrielFP

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi everyone!

Goerlich is personal project I've been working for these past few months. This project started as a place to showcase some models I have done and never have the opportunity to use, but quickly evolved into  something bigger. I'm quite happy with the end result  and I just wanted to share it.

3dsmax, Corona renderer, Affinity photo, Dabarti capture

https://www.behance.net/gallery/91739793/Goerlich-Apartment

2020-02-04, 21:45:36
Reply #1

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Super nice!

Great interior design, color grading, contrasts & lighting.
Pleasing to the eye.

2020-02-04, 22:44:44
Reply #2

Mr.Max

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Very nice work here !
I loved the mood here and the colors
Simply, I love to put pixels together! Sounds easy right : ))
https://www.behance.net/NawrasRyhan

2020-02-05, 11:23:49
Reply #3

vblackrender.

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Very natural looking images. I like the mood a lot u have choosen here.

2020-02-06, 07:29:59
Reply #4

subpixelsk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • johny.mrazko.visualization
Very nice, may I ask you why did you choose Affinity for postproduction and what was your workflow there?

Many thanks

2020-02-06, 19:46:56
Reply #5

prince_jr

• Active Users
    • View Profile
beautiful renders!
how did you get the "broken edges" on the sandstone rock? i try getting this result for a long time. never came close...
i hope you can give some insight? 

2020-02-07, 16:44:21
Reply #6

GabrielFP

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Very nice, may I ask you why did you choose Affinity for postproduction and what was your workflow there?

Many thanks

Hi!
I'm been trying to make affinity photo may main post process program just for the ability to edit 32-bit images and clone in different layers at the same time (If I am honest I'm still more comfortable in photoshop). In this project there is no special need to use affinity. The same can be achived with photoshop as every image is saved from corona as a tiff 16 bits file.
My main workflow is very simple, just adjust highlight and shadows, play with curves and saturation, add some sharpening and vignetting and I am done.  The goal of the postproduction is to highlight the most important element of the image, so you can compare

Here you can see some images taken directly from the corona frame buffer.

2020-02-07, 16:47:29
Reply #7

GabrielFP

• Active Users
    • View Profile
beautiful renders!
how did you get the "broken edges" on the sandstone rock? i try getting this result for a long time. never came close...
i hope you can give some insight?

hi!
Just sculpting in zbrush and the displacement of the base texture did the rest

2020-02-07, 19:56:00
Reply #8

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
May I ask how you get this kind of lighting? Super smooth but nice contrasts, etc.
Corona Sky / Sun or an HDR?

2020-02-11, 15:17:49
Reply #9

GabrielFP

• Active Users
    • View Profile
May I ask how you get this kind of lighting? Super smooth but nice contrasts, etc.

Hi!
I attached a crop of the hdri. As long as you have a similar gradient in the sun you will obtain smooth lighting. The contrast is more post processing than the hdri in itself

2020-02-11, 15:32:25
Reply #10

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi!
I attached a crop of the hdri. As long as you have a similar gradient in the sun you will obtain smooth lighting. The contrast is more post processing than the hdri in itself

Hey Gabriel,

interesting, thanks!
Lately I was experimenting a bit with blurring out the HDRs for similar reasons.
Gives quite nice results.

Makes sense... blurry sun, soft lighting.

Continue your great work! Greetings.

2020-02-12, 23:17:35
Reply #11

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Hi!

Hey Gabriel,

I made a quick test scene (interior) with your "HDR"... First I did not even see that it is a PNG and not even an HDR.
What baffles me: it generates better lighting than the HDRs I normally use.... despite being a simple PNG.
And no, I don't use Corona 5, which works with any pic as a light source (as far as I read). I am still in 4...
Confused now...

P.S. I mostly use HDRs from here: https://hdri-skies.com

What HDR is the one you took? Guthrie or some other well known source?

« Last Edit: 2020-02-12, 23:21:20 by Designerman77 »

2020-02-13, 12:20:10
Reply #12

jms.lwly

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jms.lwly studio
I've never thought about using anything other than an HDR... old habits
« Last Edit: 2020-02-13, 12:26:05 by jms.lwly »

2020-02-13, 14:12:00
Reply #13

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Well me neither. I thought that using a simple bitmap instead of an HDR in Corona 4 would result in a mess...
By mistake I inserted that PNG as a lighting source... and it looks absolutely okay.

Attached, a trivial test scene.
Render time: 30 seconds with some denoising. Can't see any negative difference compared to an HDR.

P.S. Visited your website. Great renders! That red room is crazy cool... among other cool stuff!
« Last Edit: 2020-02-13, 14:32:07 by Designerman77 »

2020-02-15, 12:12:11
Reply #14

GabrielFP

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Well me neither. I thought that using a simple bitmap instead of an HDR in Corona 4 would result in a mess...
By mistake I inserted that PNG as a lighting source... and it looks absolutely okay.

Attached, a trivial test scene.
Render time: 30 seconds with some denoising. Can't see any negative difference compared to an HDR.

P.S. Visited your website. Great renders! That red room is crazy cool... among other cool stuff!

The png. format is because it is a screen capture jajajaja. But if it gets you better result maybe you are behind something here jajajaja.

I use only Hdri. I attached 1k versions of the hdri's so you can see the difference between the original and the painted. As you can see the original is pretty bad. All the highlights burned, no detail whatsoever. I blame my shitty camera and that it was my first and last attempt.

I think when you use a sky with a strong difference in exposure between the sky and the sun you will see the difference between hdr and png.