Author Topic: Unreal Engine 4 for ArchViz - Thoughts?  (Read 292299 times)

2016-07-15, 07:37:16
Reply #300

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I strongly suggest you guys to try the Barcelona Pavillion virtual tour. It's a guided tour and free exploration too. I've only tried the standard pc version. Tomorrow I'll try the htc vive version.

It's pretty immersive, well done and some mats are amazing, like the travertine :-O Must see in ultra graphics!!! It has to be the closest thing to the real building!!!

https://ue4arch.com/product-category/virtualplan/

« Last Edit: 2016-07-21, 08:09:57 by philippelamoureux »

2016-10-21, 02:05:24
Reply #301

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
Interesting upcoming release from makers of marmoset toolbag:

Seems like they have added some sort of G.I, animation and baking. This might become a competitor for unreal engine in the long run. It's already shaping up nicely. It's not up to ue4's level for archviz yet but it's interesting to see them adding those features. Seems good for previsualization for animations, products and scenes. Marmoset toolbag is a realtime renderer/viewer for 3d assets and its easier to use and some claim it looks better for realtime asset rendering. Also avoids the whole engine learning hassles if you just want to make realtime stuff.

« Last Edit: 2016-10-21, 02:09:56 by melviso »

2016-10-21, 09:56:13
Reply #302

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Interesting upcoming release from makers of marmoset toolbag:

Seems like they have added some sort of G.I, animation and baking. This might become a competitor for unreal engine in the long run. It's already shaping up nicely. It's not up to ue4's level for archviz yet but it's interesting to see them adding those features. Seems good for previsualization for animations, products and scenes. Marmoset toolbag is a realtime renderer/viewer for 3d assets and its easier to use and some claim it looks better for realtime asset rendering. Also avoids the whole engine learning hassles if you just want to make realtime stuff.

Yeah well, you cannot make interactive virtual tour with marmoset. It's cool though, marmoset was always nice tool for quick previewing and rendering all kinds of assets for games etc...

2016-10-22, 04:52:11
Reply #303

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
That's true. Virtual reality is a really cool feature that comes with game engines and it seems to be taking off quite well. Won't be surprised if clients start making this a requirements for projects. I remember mentioning how game engines will be playing a big role in archviz's future during my postgrad and everyone seemed to just prefer offline renderers..lol.
I can't help wondering what ue5 will be about. :)

2016-10-23, 00:24:46
Reply #304

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
All good and dandy... now consider something about costs and prices:
CGI pipeline & workflow to comply according to AdobeRGB, CMYK, Pantone or other hiQ printing standards ~ regular price * 10!
HiQ VR pipeline, workflow with capacities, abilities and the official service during working hours ~ regular price * 33 (yes, you will also need to employ few extra staff & uphold a sanitary standard for your clients to use the damn helmet)

... all along while clients without a pinch of creative imagination think it all fell from the sky :D

2016-10-29, 02:22:02
Reply #305

melviso

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfoilo
 I do see why some people would prefer to just stick to archviz stills and animations :)

VR workflow, management and delivery will definitely get better as time advances. At some point, even clients would have their own helmets. I think in the future, vr headsets will become relatively cheap, very light and portable, more like the eyeglasses we put on everyday.
VR is still in its early stages while CGI pipeline has been around for a long time and has seen advancements and improvements technology wise.

2016-11-01, 19:37:02
Reply #306

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I don't know if you guys have seen ue4arch lake house scene? But THIS is pushing the limits of ue4 hehe.

Maybe not super practical but pretty cool nonetheless. The shadow casting is pretty dope.

2016-11-01, 21:44:19
Reply #307

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Mightily impressive. Reflection in the door glass in the first shot get screwed though. Looks like vampire :]
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2016-11-01, 22:49:33
Reply #308

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Rafael didn't use the new planar reflection actor on the glass doors I think. Project was made before the feature was available.

2016-11-02, 12:59:13
Reply #309

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Have you guys seen unite 2016 and Otoy's announce?

Starts at 1:18:15

Octane render fully integrated in Unity, for free, able to be used for, amongst other cool things, progressive lightmap baking. The dream!

https://twitter.com/OTOY/status/793585937145933824

and not only that, they're still working on a fully fledged ue4 plugin that should basically do the same in ue4....

https://twitter.com/icelaglace/status/793696804218953728

« Last Edit: 2016-11-02, 13:07:27 by philippelamoureux »

2016-11-02, 13:38:01
Reply #310

moriah

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ehhh Otoy, everytime they announce something i take it with a huge grain of salt..... Maybe they should focus on making octane 3 actually usable in production, and implement the dozens of features they promised.

2016-11-02, 13:49:53
Reply #311

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2016-11-02, 19:17:28
Reply #312

RobSteady

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But they are really good at announcing things, probably the best out there.
What was Octane Render Cloud again? :)

2016-11-03, 02:51:03
Reply #313

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thought they were going on with the Brigade and the whole cloud thing... Octane is to slow for a game engine (unless baked).
Just watched MAX conference (Adobe). One year to full in cloud app servitude, yikes. Trend continues... not much development on the tools themselves.

2016-11-03, 04:38:21
Reply #314

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The point of octane in unity (or unreal) is to have a better renderer within an outstanding all-in-one creation software. Octane will blow unity and unreal renderers out of the water. Ue4 is a thousand time more intuitive and refined than 3ds max when it comes to viewport performance, material editor, content browser, etc.

This is not a real-time G.I solution. It's just a better renderer to bake lightmaps for games, cinematics, vr etc. but it comes with the benefits of progressive renderers, like almost instant fast previews. Right now, in ue4/unity you cannot have a decent preview of what your baked scene will look like with production settings. It will be a game changer within the real-time software world.