Author Topic: Unreal Engine 4 for ArchViz - Thoughts?  (Read 292806 times)

2015-03-03, 00:33:33
Reply #75

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Since Autodesk was mentioned.... this has surfaced recently:

LOLZ
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2015-03-03, 00:42:03
Reply #76

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Once again, a very "interesting" move by autodesk. Doing a shitty teaser which doesn't say anything , doesn't show anything and looks like a 13 year old got an after effects copy into his hands.

*rolleyes*
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2015-03-03, 00:57:02
Reply #77

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
almost look like those fake teasers for half life 3 ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-03-03, 03:37:23
Reply #78

borisquezadaa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
At least half life 3 has more chance than this. XD. (I hope)
What i do with Corona My Corona post of random stuff rendering
WARNING: English.dll still loading...

2015-03-03, 05:45:11
Reply #79

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Epic is Epic! So now it's absolutely free for everything arch viz. :-)

2015-03-03, 10:36:54
Reply #80

lacilaci

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2015-03-03, 13:26:32
Reply #81

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I bet they're going to sell that 4000$ for a box licence lol.

2015-03-03, 14:09:48
Reply #82

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Epic finished their 1st map for the new unreal tournament. not arch viz but it's impressive what their artists can do with ue4.

2015-03-03, 14:18:16
Reply #83

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
I had to watch it twice when I saw it earlier today. I am lazy to download it, but how is that waterfall made ? It's amazing all-around.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2015-03-03, 14:37:31
Reply #84

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
*screaming like a little girl in disney land* I'm more amazed by the fact that we'll get a new UT than by getting a great engine for free :D A new fast arena shooter with up-to-date graphics!
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2015-03-03, 14:39:57
Reply #85

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
It's amazing how a good lighting makes a huge difference. I don't know for the water fall but since it's all open-source, I'm sure it won't be hard to find :-)

Mark Rein just re-confirmed what we already knew, but still important to know. https://twitter.com/MarkRein/status/572736393677565952 Ue4 is still royalty-free for arch-viz!

2015-03-03, 15:11:53
Reply #86

blank...

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I never used any game engine, i don't even play games, so i excuse noob questions :)

Could i please get a ELI5 (explain like i'm five) workflow with UE.

If i got it correctly you model and unwrap in max (or other) then import that in UE and set up materials and lighting there . Right?
Another question, all this talk about unwrapping, if i'm satisfied with how something looks with a box mapping in max, why wouldn't it look the same in UE? Does UE work differently with UVW mapping, why is it necessary to unwrap everything in UE that you didn't unwrap in max?
Last question, a lot of talk about low poly models. Is the engine actually capable of handling scenes with tons of foliage and high res maps. Is creating archviz exterior stills with UE possible?
(Also, would there be any reason to do so?)

Thanks in advance!

2015-03-03, 15:26:24
Reply #87

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
UE is perfectly capable of high-poly scenes, and using high-poly meshes. It doesn't even have the 60k poly limit that used to be norm for most engines per mesh. Your only limit is capacity of video card memory, just like in gp-gpu rendering. You buy an 6-8gb card,
and you're on good path to create scenes just as complicated as your regular raytraced offline ones.

You can use box-mapping (or any other over-lapping UV technique) perfectly fine for texture mapping, but lighting needs unwrapped mesh because each part of mesh will get 'unique' light baked-in. Obviously the mesh part in shadow can't share UV-island with part that will be hit with light. Therefore the unwrapping needs to be decently strict to avoid issues, coupled with fact the GI baking is done using very crude Final Gathering (Irradiance map)/Photon combo. So not only overlapping, but also seams placement is important.
You can use different UV mapping for your channels. Keep box for Channel 0 used for textures, and unique unwrap for Channel 1 used to light-baking.
That is perfectly fine for all these super-simple apartment demos that are popping up, but really, do this for serious commercial project with set deadline, with tons of unique meshes and small props.
It can be decently automated up to point though, with lot of cave-eats here and there.

The reason is whether you need interaction, and if it can be somehow useful for your clients. Imho, in 95perc. it would be more than counter-productive. Not everything that is fascinating, is also useful and helpful towards every goal.

I love real-time and UE a lot, and did so for past 5 years. But I still chuckle at the naive/kiddish fascination if this is the next big thing that will revolution everything. Of course not.

2015-03-03, 18:58:11
Reply #88

blank...

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Your only limit is capacity of video card memory, just like in gp-gpu rendering. You buy an 6-8gb card...

Interest lost :D

Thanks!

2015-03-03, 19:39:38
Reply #89

philippelamoureux

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I received my gtx 980 superclocked...it's only 4gb but I don't want to wait another 6 months before they release a 8gb version. Too bad! Can't wait to test it! Unreal engine doesn't perform better with nvidia vs amd so I guess there are some radeons with 8gb out already! good stuff