Author Topic: Volumetric/SSS rendering playground  (Read 134785 times)

2014-07-28, 21:35:43
Reply #60

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Yep, exactly. Basically, refraction glossiness defines how much rays scatter when they enter the media. In case of orange juice, they probably won't keep their initial direction entirely, as some orange particles will be very close to the edge of the surface, to scatter the rays when entering. So you can very simply just decrease refraction glossiness :)

2014-07-28, 21:45:09
Reply #61

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Correct approach here would be to decrease the attenuation distance to make the medium thicker. The transition between juice and glass is still smooth dielectric, there should be no glossiness involved.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-07-28, 22:27:13
Reply #62

lmikkelb

• Active Users
    • View Profile
quick test.

2014-07-28, 22:31:27
Reply #63

kumodot

• Active Users
  • Corona ADDICTED and Evangelist
    • View Profile
    • Kumodot
   But is this Visually correct ? Or do we need to simulate particles inside the juice to distort/refract the rays ? It doesn't looks correct (visually) to me to not have refraction glossness inside atmosphere. Only if it's a non-liquid atmosphere (Air, gases or smoke looks correct).
    If we just decrease the Attenuation it will not mess with refraction rays direction just it's visibility inside the medium right ?

Thiker /solid/liquid mediums needs low glossness refraction to look correct (to my eyes)... (Visually, not tecnically).

Correct approach here would be to decrease the attenuation distance to make the medium thicker. The transition between juice and glass is still smooth dielectric, there should be no glossiness involved.
Your Portuguese is worse than my english.
--------------------------------------------
3DGeneralist/Vfx Supervisor

2014-07-28, 22:44:00
Reply #64

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
you can always fake it, but that is not what happens in reality. I would try to match it correctly first.
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-07-28, 23:37:09
Reply #65

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
Nice results Chakib ! The Juice looks awesome.

But take a look at the Straw, it's stills sharp even inside the fog. That's what's confusing me about this SSS workflow....

On a Dirt Water/Juice, or something like that, the rays are messed and sort blurred in real life, but inside a FOG or smoke the rays aren't messed too much, so the objects with sharp edges inside the volume looks ok, but it i miss the refraction of thoses rays... Maybe using Refraction Glossness is the way to make it looks right ?

Yes you're right I see that now in another test i did and it's more realistic now ! ;)

2014-07-29, 00:41:05
Reply #66

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
not bad :) thanx Ondra and team!

Polymax, nice render! But can we talk about rendering time? Why is it so high? And the noise is too much IMO.

2014-07-29, 00:48:35
Reply #67

kumodot

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Kumodot
  So it's possible to fake it with glossiness Chakib ? I want to see your new results with the juice. ;)

Nice results Chakib ! The Juice looks awesome.

But take a look at the Straw, it's stills sharp even inside the fog. That's what's confusing me about this SSS workflow....

On a Dirt Water/Juice, or something like that, the rays are messed and sort blurred in real life, but inside a FOG or smoke the rays aren't messed too much, so the objects with sharp edges inside the volume looks ok, but it i miss the refraction of thoses rays... Maybe using Refraction Glossness is the way to make it looks right ?

Yes you're right I see that now in another test i did and it's more realistic now ! ;)

2014-07-29, 08:01:23
Reply #68

Chakib

• Active Users
  • Corona Omnomnomer !
    • View Profile
I've reduced the glossiness to the half and this is the result.

2014-07-29, 17:14:08
Reply #69

kumodot

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Kumodot
    Now You've nailed it Chakib ! :) Very nice !

I've reduced the glossiness to the half and this is the result.

2014-07-29, 17:30:47
Reply #70

Stan_But

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • https://www.behance.net/archdizs

2014-07-29, 18:45:47
Reply #71

Polymax

• Active Users
  • CG Generalist
    • View Profile
    • maxkagirov.com
not bad :) thanx Ondra and team!

Polymax, nice render! But can we talk about rendering time? Why is it so high? And the noise is too much IMO.

Thanx! About render time and noise - i don't know maybe refraction glossy give this result...
Yes, if use translucency instead refraction then speed up to 2 and more times. But this effect sss can not be achieved with trans..
« Last Edit: 2014-07-29, 19:54:58 by Polymax »
Corona - the best rendering solution!

2014-07-30, 06:02:36
Reply #72

Deivs

• Active Users
  • Deivs CG
    • View Profile
first test...

2014-07-30, 07:01:06
Reply #73

d-3

• Active Users
    • View Profile
The CORONA Age of Characters has Begin!! :D

Hulk Test! the maps don´t help!

« Last Edit: 2014-07-30, 07:04:32 by d-3 »

2014-07-30, 08:19:37
Reply #74

d-3

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok Need some maps to help the SSS i Will try to do this tomorow! But I´m think this Shit are getting Serius!!! :D