Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 519880 times)

2020-01-22, 19:30:54
Reply #825

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ordering the parts today for my personal rig gonna go with the 3970x. Was going to wait for the 64 core part but I can't wait anymore. Got that itchy feeling in my wallet lol... I am also pretty sure that the 32 core is going to have a better single core turbo max then it's more expensive brethren, and that is what interests me more.

Juraj could you could you give me an advise, thnx! Should I go for the aorus Master or the Strix e gaming? I am asking this because I already ordered the 2xcorsair kits of 2x32gb the 3200mhz ones you got in your 3950x. So I am going for a total of 4x32gb ram. I guess you already did a more thorough research regarding this than me since I am currently checking my custom loop options. I am completely overwhelmed  by it... It's gonna be my first custom loop, wish me luck :).
« Last Edit: 2020-01-22, 19:35:59 by Vuk »

2020-01-22, 19:57:42
Reply #826

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Should I go for the aorus Master or the Strix e gaming?

Since there is no bad board per se it TRX40, I think it's down to sympathy ;- ). But I think the Gigabyte is the better board of these two:

- It's bigger board with better pci-e spacing. So you can do 2x double-slot GPUs + 2 expansion cards. In Asus second GPU will always block one port. Asus does have 3 x16 slots but I still find the Aorus better solution.
- Both have very capable VRM but the Aorus is still ahead with 16+3 Phases vs 16 and passive heatsink vs micro fans.
- The Strix is kind of ugly...gamey looking. Has far less professional look than Aorus and still lacks most ROG features like Dimm.2.
- Aorus has 5GBe vs Strix 2.5GBe. For 500 Euros they could have spent those few euros that Aquantia 10GBit chip costs...but I guess "Market segmentation! Customers need choices!" was on drawing board that day.

I am long term Asus fan, but in my opnion Gigabyte recently did much better job with their products. Both X570 and TRX40 have air of higher-quality product to them whether it's build quality or feature set.

Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-01-22, 20:12:03
Reply #827

Michael Arch-Viz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Should I go for the aorus Master or the Strix e gaming?

I have Aorus Master,
like this board a lot, it has all that I need, the first start was without any problem. But wit aorus is EATX so you need also full tower case, keep this in mind :)

2020-01-22, 22:45:53
Reply #828

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thnx Juraj! Thr problem is that the Aorus Master is the only board besides the Pro of the whole trx40 lineup that I can get in my country and it costs 631 euros ( with 2 or 3 years of warranty ) while the Strix is 589 euro ( 1 year of warranty ) from Hungary.
That is not a big difference the bigger difference is the Aorus Master being E-ATX and my old case being a Lian-Li O11 Air which I really love and would rather not change fits only an ATX :(. Maybe I could even fit it inside but it is going to be a squeeze inside with the pump, reservoir, etc...

2020-01-22, 23:00:10
Reply #829

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
O11 Air does fit E-ATX though, or do you mean because it could slightly collide with side-mounted radiator? Since it's just 2cm difference I think it would fit even then, but I am not guaranteeing it.
Or would it block the bottom fan too?

But neither is bad choice, if Strix fits you better get Strix.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2020-01-23, 15:42:53
Reply #830

Vuk

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am now torn between the Master, Strix and Creator :D Don't really need the 2.5g and the 5g need the 10g but I can get that with an add-in card for 100-120 euro tops from Aquantia...

2020-01-23, 17:11:07
Reply #831

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
All right, upgrade complete.  3970x + Zenith II + 128GB TridentZ 2933 CL14. Corona 1.3 bench 29s . Old vray bench 20s. No oveclock, no PBO.
I`m pleasantly surprised with temps vs all core freq after 1h rendering, stable at 63 degrees at 30% fan speeds on all fans. All cores freq. are 3950Mhz.  Dual 360rad + Heatkiller IV for the win!

I think Zenith II have fu** bios, can`t do anything to fan speeds prior to windows boot. They all run full speed, including pump. On latest bios that is.
Noemotion.net - www.noemotion.net
Peter Sanitra - www.psanitra.com
Noemotionhdrs.net - www.noemotionhdrs.net

2020-01-23, 17:32:05
Reply #832

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Is that temperature shown on the LED display onboard ? Or actual core temperatures from HWiNFO ?

2020-01-23, 18:03:14
Reply #833

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
Is that temperature shown on the LED display onboard ? Or actual core temperatures from HWiNFO ?

HWiNFO

2020-01-24, 09:09:45
Reply #834

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Interestingly, the new Zenith II Alpha seems to have Infineon 90A power stages that were otherwise not possible to buy yet, so it might be a new product.

So for extreme overclocking of the 3990X that poses interesting decision: (If anyone wants to do something irrational like that).

-Alpha has 16x 90A power stages, but teamed with doublers, a solution borne out of necessity long time ago (because no lower temps for board due to rippling prevention was ever shown to be actual thing since X299).
-Aorus has 16x 70A power stages, but with full 16 phases for CPU and 3 more for DRAM.

2020-01-24, 11:17:53
Reply #835

psanitra

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • NeEmotion.net
I was looking at that board yesterday and it seems like the power stages are the only thing they added/changed on top of regular Zenith II? That`s just sad. And they probably going to  slap like 1000USD price tag on it. PCIE layout is still sub optimal, and that 4th slot at the bottom still share the bandwidth with dimm2 slot, leaving it with 4x speed only.  At that pricertag Aorus Exreme seems superior.

2020-01-24, 11:25:35
Reply #836

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
They also keep stressing the PCI 4.0 wiring lot more this time so not sure if they changed how the chipset lanes are wired.

2020-01-27, 23:12:16
Reply #837

Tyron

• Users
    • View Profile
Hi guys, so I recently finished a 3960x build with a Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360 RGB TR4 Edition CPU cooler, the case also has a lot of open space for ventilation.
Now when rendering I'm getting temps of around 90°C i know the max temp is 95°C but I cant help but think that's kinda high. If anyone could shed some light that would be great.
*There is thermal pastes and all fans are working. 

2020-01-28, 10:00:46
Reply #838

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yes it's pretty high.

It's also pretty bad cooler because it's not true TR4 dedicated cooler, the CPU plate was made bigger to cover the full heatspreader of CPU, but it's false because on other side the fins are same size as for smaller sockets and water only ends up cooling the centre of CPU. I would call it half-job, it's better than slapping non-TR4 AIO, but much worse then real TR4 sized coldplate like Enermax or dedicated waterblock for custom loop.

The general suggestion is still to get Noctua UH-14s, risk faulty Enermax (or try to fix it yourself by swapping fluid), or build custom loop.
Everything else can be ignored.

If you look at this picture, the CoolerMaster is basically what you see on left, but actually even lot worse. A proper TR4 coldplate needs to look like on the right.

« Last Edit: 2020-01-28, 10:06:12 by Juraj Talcik »

2020-01-28, 10:34:04
Reply #839

Tyron

• Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Juraj, I appreciate the feedback!
Just to clarify do you think the Noctura UH -14 would be a better solution in the time being until I can build a custom loop setup?

Cheers.