Author Topic: The predictable out of ram usage message  (Read 1376 times)

2022-05-17, 16:19:20

Armand Rudy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A Creative Agency
Hi, once I again I ask for help on this forum to try to understand how much Ram corona needs, I have found people with more powerful workstations having the same issue.

My setup
Ryzen 7 3700x
32gb ram
rtx 3060 (irrelevant for corona I know)
Cinema 4D S24, Corona 7

I am rendering a simple house, no interior furniture, Grass only visible in the area covered by the camera
500 trees spreadwith surfacespread which is a lot for such a small house but somehow 100 trees don't seem to cover the surrounding of the house, 120 000 grass paches, some plants and flowers (all vegetations are proxied)
Render resolution 5237 x 2500

I receive an out of ram message when rendering, I deactivated all displacements from materials, I unticked keep in memory from all proxies.
But still the ram message, no other application is running during the render.
Because I found no real answer from the previous posts, I assume this issue isn't getting solved any time soon?
Is this issue solved with Corona 8? I hate switching during projects, I encountered some issues in the past...

Is there a way to limit corona ram usage?

2022-05-17, 16:27:00
Reply #1

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just curious: How much RAM does the scene take in C4D before you render and could you put some "green backdrop" behind the trees to use less than 500 specimen and still have full coverage?
And are you using a lot of very hires textures?
Did you try closing the scene as soon as you had hit render? This should also free quite some RAM.

2022-05-17, 16:34:36
Reply #2

Armand Rudy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A Creative Agency
What do you mean by green backdrop a photo?

My textures are 4k and only I only have 14 materials with loaded 4k textures,.
Edit :  trees and plants also have 4k textures.

How do I see the ram c4d takes before I render?

Edit : just figure something out about surfacespread clone count, I used to spread on a plane with a specific selection for the trees and grasses, but that plane was also the same plane used for my other lanscaping, like pool modeling, road curb etc.... I just split the trees and grasses on their own plane, and now surfacespread clone count matches the max count, before it didn't match....
before If I input 100 max count, the clone count used to be like 14 only hence the increase to 500 trees for a simple house like this...
« Last Edit: 2022-05-17, 16:45:57 by Armand Rudy »

2022-05-17, 20:43:04
Reply #3

Cinemike

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Green backdrop photo: When I have gaps in my tree coverage that aren't too big but still should not be there, I put a plane behind the trees and map a "forest photo" on them. It usually works fine and saves me from adding more actual 3D stuff.

4K textures can suck up RAM pretty quickly. I have "only" 32 GB of RAM, too, and it can become tight fast.

For seeing how much RAM a scene actually takes, I use the Windows Task Manager. If the RAM is filled up before rendering already, chances are it won't work well.

Closing the scene after starting the renderer often helps with my RAM issues. No need to keep it in the RAM twice.

2022-05-19, 16:32:30
Reply #4

Armand Rudy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A Creative Agency
Thank you, for the help, will try the tricks you mentionned, Corona Ram Management is very messy. After dealing with this project, will try and see vray gpu or vantage can be faster or better in memory management, thank you taking the time to address my issue.

2022-05-19, 23:16:02
Reply #5

davetwo

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I dont know where you get your texture maps. But places like Poliigon will supply multiple resolution versions of the same texture. Most likely 4k is overkill unless you are showing elements in close-up. 2k is often fine, and will help out hugely with memory issues

2022-05-19, 23:49:31
Reply #6

Armand Rudy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A Creative Agency
I got textures from megascans, I guess I didn't think about using textures for closeup and fareaway objects, isn't there an option like in vray to resize textures by ticking a button before rendering?
I will cope with the issue as it is, guess I can't do anything about it, I have read in the forums people with 120gb ram running out of ram, so corona must also learn to manage the ram and textures.