Author Topic: Corona Renderer 1.7 Release Candidate 1 for 3ds Max out now!  (Read 37648 times)

2017-09-21, 01:20:03

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Corona Renderer 1.7 RC1 for 3ds Max is out now!

Everyone with an active FairSaaS or Box with Subscription license has access, and the download is in the usual location: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mswauuv1afec8am/AAA5OKrd_QujokDM3mxQ7S40a

A Release Candidate is close to being the final release, but we need your testing and feedback to catch any remaining bugs or other issues from real world testing!

Here's just some of the major new items in 1.7:

- Much faster rendering, in some scenes up to 8 times faster, thanks to the combination of many speedups (new DMC sampler, new adaptive direct light algorithm, faster adaptivity recomputation, and more)
- Memory savings, in particular with render elements
- The Corona MatLib, a collection of over 300 ready to use materials
- Dedicated Hair shader, plus compatibility with 3ds Max native Hair and Fur, Ornatrix and Hair Farm
- Dedicated Skin shader
- New additions to the CoronaMtl: a new SSS mode, and Dispersion
- A dedicated Corona Camera
- UVW Randomizer
- Bump Converter so that any map can be used as a bump map
- The Corona UI displays properly on high DPI monitors
- And of course many other improvements!

Reminder: Scenes saved with 1.7 will not open in 1.6, so you may want to keep separate versions of the scene while testing.

Thanks!
   Tom

« Last Edit: 2018-03-12, 15:20:39 by maru »
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2017-09-21, 09:45:28
Reply #1

Yanosh HRDY

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.hyh.fr
Hello Tom, thank you for the link.
I'm working on 1.6.1 ... and I'm obviously motivated to move to this 1.7 ... however I'm not sure about how to do ... and most of all I'm working on projects for a client ... Is this version stable enough to be able to transfer my work in progress from 1.6.1
other question, in the download link Dropbox, there are a lot of files ... which are useful for the installation of the 1.7. another question, is it possible to have the 1.6.1 and 1.7 install at the same time ... if yes how. (in case too much bug, as I have to make my pictures next week) .. thanks.

Yanosh

2017-09-21, 10:31:30
Reply #2

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
... Is this version stable enough to be able to transfer my work in progress from 1.6.1

Problem this time with dailies/RCs is that you cannot go back easily. I would not do it if you have a deadline ahead.

there are a lot of files ... which are useful for the installation of the 1.7.

You only need "corona-3dsmax-1.7-rc1.exe"

is it possible to have the 1.6.1 and 1.7 install at the same time ... if yes how.

You can have different versions with different max versions only on one box but not for one specific Max installation (there are scripts/workarounds though).

Conclusion: It would be the best to finish your current job and pick the newest RC afterwards :)

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2017-09-21, 10:33:38
Reply #3

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
It's simple, find executable named "corona-3dsmax-1.7-rc1.exe" on dropbox folder, download it, check with your antivirus and launch installer. Simple as that.
Usually daily builds are stable enough for commercial work and RCs are almost as save to use as public releases. But i would not recomend to switch in the middle of important project, as 1.7 is not backward compatible with earlier versions - you will not be able to switch back without loosing your render settings.

As for the different versions in the same 3ds max, yes that should be possible, there's even an official guide how to configure such setup: https://coronarenderer.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/5000577837-how-to-run-different-corona-versions-at-the-same-time-
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2017-09-21, 11:09:49
Reply #4

Yanosh HRDY

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.hyh.fr
Thanks for your quick replies !!
I think it's wiser to wait ... actually.

What is RCs?
Last question, to use my different nodes, I imagine that I have only to installe the .exe on each computer?
thx
Yanosh

2017-09-21, 11:26:54
Reply #5

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks for your quick replies !!
I think it's wiser to wait ... actually.

What is RCs?
Last question, to use my different nodes, I imagine that I have only to installe the .exe on each computer?
thx
Yanosh
RC means Release Candidate. At this stage, the feature set is 'frozen' and only bugs get fixed.

Yes, you only need to run the installer, it takes care of everything.

2017-09-21, 11:30:31
Reply #6

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
RC stands for Release Candidate - at this point no new features are expected and only bug fixing and polishing is going on.
I have no no experience with multiple machines, but as far as i know you have to install same Corona version on all nodes for smooth DR experience.

edit: dang! i feel so slow today...

2017-09-21, 11:41:28
Reply #7

Yanosh HRDY

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.hyh.fr
Thank you for your response in stereo .... :)

I will wait for a more secure version...

Yanosh

2017-09-21, 12:02:01
Reply #8

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
dang!

0:2!

Will turn to a 4:2 at the end of the day, I'm sure :)

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2017-09-21, 12:04:54
Reply #9

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Nah, i feel heavily offended, so i'll stop posting for today :P

2017-09-21, 14:36:34
Reply #10

artofcharly

• Active Users
  • Full-time 3d Outsource
    • View Profile
    • The art of charly

2017-09-21, 14:48:14
Reply #11

tallbox

• Active Users
  • George Nicola
    • View Profile
    • Architectural Visualizations | TALLBOX
As the first bug after installing RC 1.7 MatLib is not working. Can't find the path.
Architectural Visualizations / Deep work practitioner
https://www.tallboxdesign.com

2017-09-21, 14:51:33
Reply #12

Ryuu

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Michal
    • View Profile
As the first bug after installing RC 1.7 MatLib is not working. Can't find the path.

What exactly is the problem? Are the material library files not installed to disk? Are you missing the MatLib option in menu? Do you get any error message when trying to launch MatLib or when dragging & dropping materials?

2017-09-21, 14:58:38
Reply #13

tallbox

• Active Users
  • George Nicola
    • View Profile
    • Architectural Visualizations | TALLBOX
MAX 2016. I had Corona menu at the top of the bar, and everything worked like a charm.
Just before 10 min. I've installed RC 1.7 and Corona menu is missing, then I found it in Customise menu and put it back again, but then I got an empty box.
PS: I have noticed another strange thing. RC is installed but Corona showing the Daily from 15th.
« Last Edit: 2017-09-21, 15:07:54 by tallbox »
Architectural Visualizations / Deep work practitioner
https://www.tallboxdesign.com

2017-09-21, 15:05:05
Reply #14

awa

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi

Big thanks for the RC!

About the Corona Cam, what is the best way to use it. I want to change the f-stop, ISO and shutter speed when rendering, and thought I could do it by changing the cam settings instead of using “simple exposure”,  but it doesn’t seems to work…?

Does it need exposure control in the environment?
What should I thick in the render setup?

August