Author Topic: VRay 3.0 SP1  (Read 37274 times)

2014-12-16, 20:39:32
Reply #45

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Pfff... I hope Corona will not follow the same direction.

I hope too... but it is not easy. There is already SO MUCH friction even when removing single parameter such as gamma ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-12-16, 20:48:10
Reply #46

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Ahaha =) I read it ^___^

PS: Please, Ondra, create zoom inside IR and respect the aspect ratio!!! ))

2014-12-21, 13:51:16
Reply #47

artmaknev

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • about me
Vray Clippers? I never even knew they existed! wow!

2014-12-22, 04:51:49
Reply #48

InTerceptoV

• Users
    • View Profile
I'm not using the Vray forum anymore. So I'm not aware of all these weird threads :D The problem with the vray forum is that a huge amount of people spread a lot of wrong information and no official chaosgroup member is clarifying it (apart from Vlado here and there).
Yes, I spent a lot of time learning how DMC is working but actually the best (and only) ressource you need to understand this whole thing is the "Demystifying DMC" article http://www.interstation3d.com/tutorials/vray_dmc_sampler/demistyfing_dmc.html. If you read it 2 or 3 times and make your tests, it's all relatively easy.
But I second your opinion, it shouldn't be necessary today. And as you can see with Corona, it works well without.

[Edit] Same thing with LWF, a lot of people still don't know how it works. It's actually really easy but since so many people spread so much false information in the vray forum some people didn't even bother to learn it. There were a lot of articles explaining it right and wrong and no one knew which one was the which. So if Vlado just wrote a short article it would have helped a lot back then.

Thank you for pointing to my tutorial. DMC is hard to understand and it is also difficult to control but once you understand philosophy behind it it is very beneficial in production. I agree that from standpoint of amateur Corona could be more attractive that V-Ray, but what some people need to understand is that V-Ray is a robust stable production proven render and was able to render some very very complex scenes while I used it at Blur studio. The main advantage of V-Ray is that I know when I click render on a shot that has hundreds of frames, motion blur, particles, FumeFX, DOF and tons of other effects, when I come in next morning I'll get a whole sequence done without any bugs, weird artifacts or crashes. That trust that is build over years of use is very precious and important. Once you start using render engines in more high end environments things do get more complex and you need to be able to customize render in order to achieve certain quality within short deadlines. V-Ray has exactly the same things Corona does and many more advanced features, you also get great GPU render which we used to render Construct short.
Corona still has a long way to go to get to same level as VRay, but it is nice to see a good competition on horizon.
Argument about simplicity is not objective enough, of course Corona is simple render since it is a new render but just wait a few more years and people making requests that fit their needs. Look what happened to Maxwell, Fryrender etc ... very simple renders to use but they never got a lot of users to migrate from V-Ray.

2014-12-22, 11:50:59
Reply #49

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Thank YOU for making this great article. It helped a lot of people finally understand vrays DMC.
About Vray being stable and production proven: absolutely right. This is what got us moving from fR to Vray in the end. fR (especially R3) happened to explode right in your face if you didn't know exactly what you're doing and used to know pretty much everything that you can know about the renderer. With Vray it's beneficial to know how it works under the hood but you can do a lot more without and still have good results the next morning. We use Vray for pretty much everthing in production and I doubt that will change very soon.
Corona is currently the "cool-render-button" people always wished to have. There is pretty much nothing you have to know but you can render your archviz stills.
I agree that Corona is not yet advanced enough for many types of production - and there will be more clutter and more features in later releases that will make corona less "simple" as it is now. Vray has some old features and settings which they probably will never get rid of, it happens to all kind of software packages - it will happen to corona too. Imho that's how software evolves, you sometimes need a new kid on the block to make a leap forward.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2014-12-22, 12:18:04
Reply #50

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
and there will be more clutter and more features in later releases that will make corona less "simple" as it is now.

I will fight to make this not happen!
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-12-22, 12:33:16
Reply #51

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
No doubt about that, but you can never eliminate it completely. If there is a button (feature) you can press, people will misinterpret it's meaning and it'll make it less "simple" ;)
just 3 examples: - the cg-cookie tutorial with the exposure and highlight compression
- the gamma setting :D
- how bucket rendering used to work until the new daily builds (lots of people used it completely wrong)

Every new feature you will implement has a potential to make things worse, just because people try it and don't understand how it works. I don't think you can really solve that problem. I didn't refer to clutter as a "useless" things just as something you won't use all the time and may confuse people.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2014-12-22, 16:21:58
Reply #52

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
The solution is simple DeadClown: offer an official tutorials (simple tutorial), but clear. So, people are able to understand the correct usage.
 In these last years, in VRay they added so many new tools, button, parameters etc... but often you have to search inside the forum, on internet the explanations (as a gold digger), because no official description by Chaogroup. All this added confusion and misunderstandings.
So, Corona staff, when they recognize that people are going down the wrong path, we must immediately correct the situation, without letting it escalate, as has often happened with VRay.

2014-12-23, 09:45:30
Reply #53

arcvs

What about Arnold?

It's almost as simple as Corona, more rock solid than Vray and probably more widely used for high-end VFX/Movie/Animation.