Author Topic: Threadripper & Ryzen only builds (3rd Gen starts on page 50)  (Read 542799 times)

2023-11-27, 11:19:44
Reply #1455

Nejc Kilar

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My personal website
Hey Nejc - i thinkj we h ave the same machine (5995xw).  Are you thinking of upgrading?  id love to but what to do with the existing beast?

Indeed, I guess we needed Intel for AMD to do something :)

Maybe just to clarify my post there, TR5-SP6 is the socket for both PRO and HEDT parts. TRX50 is the chipset for HEDT and WRX90 is the chipset for PRO.
PRO TRs do work with TRX50 motherboards.

Yes sir, same machine with the same performance and the same hole in the wallet too! :)

Hm hm, I have just recently assembled another dual Epyc node for myself (2x 7B13, 256 threads, used of course :) ) so I honestly don't see the need to upgrade to anything at the moment. The 7980x seems mighty fine but ultimately if I cut down my IR times from 10s to 7s I don't really think it would be worth it for me right now given that I have 4 machines that can render 24/7.

If I didn't have a small render farm in my office then yes, I think I'd definitely invest in a 7980x (and the 5995wx would be an amazing render node) but for me right now the only gain would be the 30-50% IR speed up - the actual final renders are done plenty fast on the other machines.

Don't get me wrong, I am very tempted about the IR speed up but realistically, dropping another ~7000€ is a) too expensive for me right now and b) I'd more or less be paying that much money for the IR speed gains only.

So yeah, that is my situation and it is kinda specific. The 7980x, 7970x and 7960x all look really great to me and my thinking is that if you could use a 5995wx render node then splurging on a next gen Threadripper is gonna be great for you :) If you do that then please report back on how fine it all is :))
Nejc Kilar | chaos-corona.com
Educational Content Creator | contact us

2023-12-03, 21:28:44
Reply #1456

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
I am looking for a upgrade to my 3990x's for rendering. I need something at least 3 times faster than a single 3990x.  Been looking at the new 7980x to try to figure out the difference between that and a 3990x. But since benchmarks don't give you results in seconds it's kind of hard to tell.  Is it twice as fast? less? I'm looking at a 7995wx ultimately since this will be the fastest.  What do you guys think between the 3990x and the 7980x? That will maybe give me a good indicator of that the 7995wx is capable of.

2023-12-04, 17:06:01
Reply #1457

danio1011

• Active Users
    • View Profile
If you look at the corona benchmark database you can compare ray/s which should correlate pretty well to render time.  The 7980x cranks about 33 million, whereas the fastest 3990x is 26 million....so closer to 25% faster rather than 300%.  I don't see any 7995x results yet but it certainly won't get you 3x the speed, I'd guess. 

Just my two cents, I'm sure others who are more knowledgeable\better at math will chime in.

2023-12-04, 18:13:19
Reply #1458

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
If you want something that massively speeds up workflow (like Interactive Rendering for example), then I wouldn't even necessarily recommend the 96 Core model, the cores & I/O will compete quite a lot for their power budget (even if you overclock it to like 800 Watts, which is feasible with water loop), we can already see this in existing 64-core models. In theory Windows Scheduling should high-clock few select cores that maintain smoothness for single-core operations while the rest are in lower clock doing the parallel work of rendering but in practice this falls out of window (lol) and maybe not just on OS level with scheduler, but perhaps the I/O of the CPU itself.

The 32-core models always offered smoother workflow regardless of what is actually behind the behavior. So I would stay with the 32/48/64c models for workstation.

But if you want more performance to get images and animations rendered faster, then no amount of powerful workstation will ever suffice, this is where render-farm (home or cloud service) comes in.

Of course, there is always argument for "the best out of best".

Not wanting to discourage anyone from 7995X, I am sure some crazy builds will pop-up soon :- ).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2023-12-04, 20:14:28
Reply #1459

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks juraj for that informative post. I guess I should have been more specific. The system would be for final renders of animations. For what we would use this system for it would be feasible to render animations solely on it if it was three times faster than a 3990X. So this is why I'm trying to find a single system with hopefully that performance or more. Like I said from the benchmarks it's really hard to tell what the performances compared to a 3990x. So that's why I'm asking here.

2023-12-07, 16:32:45
Reply #1460

rubensabou

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi Guys,

I have a workstation with a Threadripper 5995wx CPU.
I have 128 GB RAM (32gb x 4) running at 3200 MHZ.
I did the Corona Benchmark in the morning (benchmark 1.3 and the new benchmark) and I got some good scores: first one 17 seconds, and the new benchmark 22 843 900 rays/s.
I've got a Cooler Master ML360 TR4, and the temps are 65 under full load.

I've installed AMD Chipset drivers, and now I get really bad scores (33 seconds, and 15 897 916 rays/s)
I have uninstalled all the AMD drivers, even restore the windows (to the point of having nothing, just right after I've installed the windows), and still getting these bad scores.

Even my other 3990X gets ~ 21 000 000 rays/sec.

I've attached the screenshots, on the left are the first results, and on the right the one that i have now.

I don't know what I am missing but maybe you have some advice.

« Last Edit: 2023-12-07, 16:39:11 by rubensabou »

2023-12-07, 23:07:10
Reply #1461

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Have you also checked use of resources prior VS after, and observed what 'BB Windows is tasking behind your back'?

2024-01-25, 05:56:28
Reply #1462

andrew1988

• Active Users
    • View Profile

same here with dual xeon 8480+
coronabench 1.3 is ok   but coronabench 10  got a very bad performance score

Hi Guys,

I have a workstation with a Threadripper 5995wx CPU.
I have 128 GB RAM (32gb x 4) running at 3200 MHZ.
I did the Corona Benchmark in the morning (benchmark 1.3 and the new benchmark) and I got some good scores: first one 17 seconds, and the new benchmark 22 843 900 rays/s.
I've got a Cooler Master ML360 TR4, and the temps are 65 under full load.

I've installed AMD Chipset drivers, and now I get really bad scores (33 seconds, and 15 897 916 rays/s)
I have uninstalled all the AMD drivers, even restore the windows (to the point of having nothing, just right after I've installed the windows), and still getting these bad scores.

Even my other 3990X gets ~ 21 000 000 rays/sec.

I've attached the screenshots, on the left are the first results, and on the right the one that i have now.

I don't know what I am missing but maybe you have some advice.

2024-01-25, 11:09:25
Reply #1463

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Is the dual Xeon 8480 ES, QS or Retail stepping? My older dual 8280s are extremely consistent in performance with my 3990X Threadripper for example.

It's been long time since I've used ES/QS builds, but a lot of shenanigans can happen between Windows Scheduler, Board microcode, Chipset drivers that non-retail steppings can be very sensitive to (unless manufacturers are using some more precautions, but the fault can be with motherboards as well).

What can be done to bypass these limitations is the old trick Vlado from Vray suggested almost 10 years ago, is to run multiple rendering sessions at same time. I've never personally done it, so not sure what is the best way today, I personally would try ProcessLasso, but experimentation is needed.

Of course, highly sub-optimal for single-renders, but doable solution for animations. And of course super-bad solution for workstation, but then dual-builds, even retail are generally poor workstations today.

Should we start ES/QS build thread btw :- ) ? Looks like golden age for this is upon us again lol! Lot more complicated situation with motherboards, but so many Epycs and Xeons and memory is very reasonable priced. Sadly I no longer need render-farm for my studio needs but I always loved building them.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2024-01-25, 16:05:57
Reply #1464

andrew1988

• Active Users
    • View Profile
yes  it is the es E0 stepping,    I  have tested several render benchmark tools such as CinemaBench R23, Blender and Vraybenchmark,  all performed well except the Coronabenchmark v 10
I have returned these cpu and ordered retail version xeon 8470
i will test it in further

Is the dual Xeon 8480 ES, QS or Retail stepping? My older dual 8280s are extremely consistent in performance with my 3990X Threadripper for example.

It's been long time since I've used ES/QS builds, but a lot of shenanigans can happen between Windows Scheduler, Board microcode, Chipset drivers that non-retail steppings can be very sensitive to (unless manufacturers are using some more precautions, but the fault can be with motherboards as well).

What can be done to bypass these limitations is the old trick Vlado from Vray suggested almost 10 years ago, is to run multiple rendering sessions at same time. I've never personally done it, so not sure what is the best way today, I personally would try ProcessLasso, but experimentation is needed.

Of course, highly sub-optimal for single-renders, but doable solution for animations. And of course super-bad solution for workstation, but then dual-builds, even retail are generally poor workstations today.

Should we start ES/QS build thread btw :- ) ? Looks like golden age for this is upon us again lol! Lot more complicated situation with motherboards, but so many Epycs and Xeons and memory is very reasonable priced. Sadly I no longer need render-farm for my studio needs but I always loved building them.

2024-02-04, 18:25:23
Reply #1465

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Has anyone built a 7980x yet? I'm thinking of building one, but I would like to use non-ECC RAM. I've used non ECC RAM for years now and never had an issue, also saved a ton of money. I was wondering if you think this ram would work with the Asus TRX50 "G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 96GB (2 x 48GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6400 (PC5 51200) Desktop Memory Model F5-6400J3239F48GX2-TZ5RK". I would get 2x for 192GB. What's your thoughts?

2024-02-04, 18:58:02
Reply #1466

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Wrong advice from me ;- ) Ignore.

G.Skill Trident Z5 series uses Samsung chips, and is among probably the most high-end kits on market right now. I can't imagine it not working :- ) If these wouldn't, none would.

That doesn't mean it will run at their XMPP/DOCP settings, and G.Skill validated those numbers for Intel Alder-Lake desktops. So you will be on your own to figure out the best stable configuration.
« Last Edit: 2024-02-04, 19:39:24 by Juraj »

2024-02-04, 19:10:31
Reply #1467

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
G.Skill Trident Z5 series uses Samsung chips, and is among probably the most high-end kits on market right now. I can't imagine it not working :- ) If these wouldn't, none would.

That doesn't mean it will run at their XMPP/DOCP settings, and G.Skill validated those numbers for Intel Alder-Lake desktops. So you will be on your own to figure out the best stable configuration.
Thanks for the quick reply Juraj. I was thinking there shouldn't be a issue. Out of curiosity, what RAM would you go with? The difference is $680 versus ECC $1,600.

2024-02-04, 19:39:00
Reply #1468

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Damn, I need to update my RDIMM knowledge before I confuse people :- ) Super sorry about this.
Anyway, looks like Threadrippers 7xxx even non-pro require RDIMM memory, so for G.Skill, that would be their Zeta R-series, not the Z5 series.

And yup, that's the https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-192gb/p/N82E16820374533?item=N82E16820374533&source=region

1600 USD you quoted above, uff.

You can always go for generic stuff like https://www.newegg.com/nemix-ram-256gb/p/1X5-003Z-01FM5 (1000 USD for 256GB DDR5 RDIMM 5600)
But I would probably buy the G.Skill for those Samsung ICs if I was building state-of-art workstation.
« Last Edit: 2024-02-04, 19:45:19 by Juraj »

2024-02-04, 20:04:07
Reply #1469

dfcorona

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Damn, I need to update my RDIMM knowledge before I confuse people :- ) Super sorry about this.
Anyway, looks like Threadrippers 7xxx even non-pro require RDIMM memory, so for G.Skill, that would be their Zeta R-series, not the Z5 series.

And yup, that's the https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-192gb/p/N82E16820374533?item=N82E16820374533&source=region

1600 USD you quoted above, uff.

You can always go for generic stuff like https://www.newegg.com/nemix-ram-256gb/p/1X5-003Z-01FM5 (1000 USD for 256GB DDR5 RDIMM 5600)
But I would probably buy the G.Skill for those Samsung ICs if I was building state-of-art workstation.
Good catch on the RDIMM, I myself didn't look that far into it. I would definitely go for the G.Skill then.