Author Topic: Corona Pattern - inter linking like puzzle pieces  (Read 1195 times)

2024-01-10, 16:32:27

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi.
Please, see the image attached.
Currently with Corona Pattern it's only possible to use a square prism to define the geometry for the pattern.
This doesn't allow for overlapping of useful parts that fit like a puzzle.

Thank you.

2024-01-10, 18:47:51
Reply #1

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I am not sure I clearly understand what you are trying to do.

If you want to tile these pieces, you just need to tile the geometry like it is supposed to be in the pattern, then define the bounding box of the pattern.
It should just work. I don't see why it shouldn't.

Pattern will NOT give overlapping geometry, because it works based on the UVs.
For having more custom control, including overlapping geometry, you should use scatter instead.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2024-01-10, 21:43:34
Reply #2

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

If you want to tile these pieces, you just need to tile the geometry like it is supposed to be in the pattern, then define the bounding box of the pattern.
It should just work. I don't see why it shouldn't.

I may be wrong, but the bounding box that is used by the corona pattern modifier either clips the geometry or leaves the gaps in between. What I'm looking to do is what you can do with the new 3Ds Max's Array modifier, which allows you to get patterns like these together without clipping anything.

2024-01-11, 08:39:49
Reply #3

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Hi Aram,

Have a look at id=1078410170, hoped that it would be possible with render time generated geometry internally, but obviously not.

Good Luck

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2024-01-11, 09:06:30
Reply #4

d4l1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Don't know if it will help, but I had a somewhat similar question and got a nice workaround for my problem.

https://forum.corona-renderer.com/index.php?topic=41647.0

2024-01-11, 09:26:04
Reply #5

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH

Yes, thanks, seen it, working of course but it's cumbersome (especially if you have two directions to match/shift, not only one).

Good Luck

2024-01-11, 13:20:43
Reply #6

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

Yes, thanks, seen it, working of course but it's cumbersome (especially if you have two directions to match/shift, not only one).

Good Luck

Yes, what was shown in this article is what I would try, I assumed OP was aware of "how to push the pattern to not have gaps".
I am afraid it won't be implemented, at least for now. Thankfully, there is some workaround.

2024-01-11, 13:26:02
Reply #7

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Thankfully, there is some workaround.

Actually there is another, using multiple surface references and multiple CoronaPatterns. But it's horrible to create :)

Good Luck

2024-01-11, 14:11:51
Reply #8

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Ok, let's make a few things clear.

If it is about ONLY making the pattern overlap, then it is of course possible - you need to manually create the tile (copy a few to the right-left and up-down), then define the pattern's bounding box.
And "overlapping" will be absolutely possible. You just need to find the actual "tile" that repeats, and I think this is the artist(ic) part that you should take care of (at least).

If its about having RANDOMIZATION per pattern geometry island, then it is another talk, and can be an actual feature request.
More specifically - Mutimap should have "Pattern" mode, or "Pattern" for "Mesh element" mode, or the same setting in PatternModifier. Or simply make "Mesh element" mode work based on generated pattern islands (check for non-zero welding maybe?). I will report this surely.

(Internal ID=1280786659)

2024-01-11, 14:31:13
Reply #9

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Hi Aram,

If its about having RANDOMIZATION per pattern geometry island

Yes, this. And those two options already have been discussed: 1: move geometry internally -> technically not possible. 2: having another MultiMap mode -> not sure if declined, but I was almost sure that it's not possible (or expensive) to track geometry correctly in this case.

Good Luck

2024-01-11, 15:42:38
Reply #10

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

Yes, what was shown in this article is what I would try, I assumed OP was aware of "how to push the pattern to not have gaps".
I am afraid it won't be implemented, at least for now. Thankfully, there is some workaround.

Yes. I've used this technique with material ID before for roof tiles.
I just thought asking for this as a feature in case it was possible.
This and displacement in pattern would be a huge deal. Those two things combined would save me a day of work, if not more.

2024-01-11, 16:18:44
Reply #11

lupaz

• Active Users
    • View Profile

If its about having RANDOMIZATION per pattern geometry island, then it is another talk, and can be an actual feature request.
More specifically - Mutimap should have "Pattern" mode, or "Pattern" for "Mesh element" mode, or the same setting in PatternModifier. Or simply make "Mesh element" mode work based on generated pattern islands (check for non-zero welding maybe?). I will report this surely.

(Internal ID=1280786659)
Yes. It has to do with randomization and how one element that should have the same texture is split into two. Material ID works. But it would be better to be able to overlap them like with array modifier. I know it's two different animals though

2024-01-11, 16:32:39
Reply #12

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models

But why UVs should be show stopper? We can overlap materials and maps with Corona layered material and Corona mapping randomizer respectively, why the same can't be done with geometry? Corona could automatically grab a mask from pattern tile and use it for correct blending of overlapped tiles. I think overlapping tiles are more intuitive and easier to work than workarounds demonstrated by you and me and unless i'm missing something, the proposed pattern randomizing mode would not solve this problem anyway.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2024-01-11, 16:57:25
Reply #13

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

But why UVs should be show stopper? We can overlap materials and maps with Corona layered material and Corona mapping randomizer respectively, why the same can't be done with geometry? Corona could automatically grab a mask from pattern tile and use it for correct blending of overlapped tiles. I think overlapping tiles are more intuitive and easier to work than workarounds demonstrated by you and me and unless i'm missing something, the proposed pattern randomizing mode would not solve this problem anyway.

We are diving to the code-level related question I think. It depends on how much it depends on the UVs, and how much it can be independent. Of course nothing shall be a show stopper, but everything should be considered carefully to be amended to the current version. If it will take almost a complete overhaul of pattern to have this functionality (given that there are workaround and also Max native tools for this) and also take 2 month, then personally I don't like it.
My bright note on this is that VRayEnmesh actually supports overlapping geometry and works a bit more like scatter than CoronaPattern. So maybe there is a quick fix for this, I am not quite sure.

For the problem - if it is overlapping, then I believe it is possible and it is shown how. It just takes time and artistic control. For full randomization support, that is missing and that is something that can be fixed without much change and new stuff I think.

2024-01-11, 19:25:14
Reply #14

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
We are diving to the code-level related question I think. It depends on how much it depends on the UVs, and how much it can be independent. Of course nothing shall be a show stopper, but everything should be considered carefully to be amended to the current version. If it will take almost a complete overhaul of pattern to have this functionality (given that there are workaround and also Max native tools for this) and also take 2 month, then personally I don't like it.

I fully agree with you on this. In fact apart from few initial tests, i don't think i used Corona pattern even once, so it's really not in my interests that devs would spend their precious time on the feature that is already working good enough.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures