Author Topic: CoronaCameraMod - Pass control, Displacement etc.  (Read 10061 times)

2015-11-06, 11:07:49

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Not sure if this is possible, but I hope so...

Could we please get CoronaCameraMod controls for specifying max render passes/max time and perhaps other features like displacement override, MB override etc.?

Edit: forgot to mention - the other super important one would be the GI v AA balance value, per cameramod. Could be very useful!

This would be enormously useful when you have multiple cameras per max file and need different passes for some, some shots might not need displacement while some do etc. This would do away with needing to split out into loads of max files as separate shots. Scene States are horrible and unreliable to use.
« Last Edit: 2015-11-06, 11:12:29 by atelieryork »
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk
max 2016 sp1, corona 1.3 final, win 8.1. pro

2015-11-06, 11:21:34
Reply #1

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Another thing that would be really nice to have per camera is render output size (and thereby ratio). This way it would be possible to render i.e. both 360 pano cams and "normal" cams without constantly manually change output settings :)

2015-11-06, 11:24:50
Reply #2

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
I don´t think it´s a good idea to put everything in CameraMod though at the moment it seems the only reasonable location.

Since max exists I would like to have the render settings (even those in the Common tab) to be just keyable. But I don´t know if it´s even possibe to implement. It would be another approach to handle different settings in that (very common) scenario you described. In your case you would join the cams into a single one and simply animate settings along timeline.

Scene States are horrible and unreliable to use.

Exactly.

Good Luck
Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2015-11-06, 11:36:45
Reply #3

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
I would like to have the render settings (even those in the Common tab) to be just keyable.
I already had it implemented, but it caused some trouble so I had to disable it. I will revisit it at some point
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2015-11-06, 12:16:28
Reply #4

Frood

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Rakete GmbH
Even though being extremly curious I will not ask which trouble but instead hope...

I will revisit it at some point

... this will come true. It would provide a completely different (and simpler) approach for many situations indeed.

Good Luck!

Never underestimate the power of a well placed level one spell.

2015-11-07, 23:03:49
Reply #5

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Key-able render settings would give some possibilities, but would not always be use-able (i.e. when working with animated objects). Another way to do it, could be to make an optional render preset selection in the Camera mod.

2015-11-08, 16:32:53
Reply #6

peterguthrie

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Peter Guthrie Visualisation

2015-11-09, 03:43:32
Reply #7

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
+1!
but it will looks messy if I see complete render setup in coronacammod. but i remember that i have a scene that has indoor view, outdoor view , different ratio&resolution per view, motionblur, different GIvsAA. then, if it is implemented i will never experience tired of making render presets, and furstated if i make a mistake by load the wrong renderpresets on a cam view.
i believe everyone really need it.

2015-11-09, 17:58:26
Reply #8

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
I did a very quick and crappy mock-up of what this could maybe look like:

"Overrides" should probably be renamed "Render Settings Overrides" or similar.

The wording and ordering is not good, but the idea is there. The mod is basically already there purely for overrides to your main render setup settings, so I don't see any reason why it can't contain more overrides than it already has (for cleanliness reasons I mean).

It could be separated into sections:

Section 1 - Lens-based Overrides (e.g. the top stuff like iso, SS, aperture etc.)
Section 2 - Exposure & Toning Overrides
Section 3 - Render overrides (e.g. dof/mb/passes/msi etc.).
Section 4 - Projection Type
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2015-11-10, 02:44:20
Reply #9

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
nice suggestion atelieryork, but maybe to keep the simplicity of modifiers dev.team can add an option "associated and load renderpreset/rendersetting" on coronacammod, and on the render setup there is an option "save preset/setting to coronacammod". hope this will help.

2015-11-10, 03:24:25
Reply #10

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Yes, nice suggestion.

But.... seeing this I couldn't stop thinking about a "cleaner" way to do it, without having the whole render setting panel duplicated several times in different locations.

Why not simply use the panel that's already there (in the renderer) and then just select what camera/s to affect with which settings/set up. A sort of internal Corona presets. Since all adjustment goes on in the renderer, this would possibly also make realtime adjustment possible.

I know it's a totally different approach, and I don't know if it's possible to do. But in my head it would be much more logical and "clean".

2015-11-10, 10:10:46
Reply #11

atelieryork

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Atelier York
Yes, nice suggestion.

But.... seeing this I couldn't stop thinking about a "cleaner" way to do it, without having the whole render setting panel duplicated several times in different locations.

Why not simply use the panel that's already there (in the renderer) and then just select what camera/s to affect with which settings/set up. A sort of internal Corona presets. Since all adjustment goes on in the renderer, this would possibly also make realtime adjustment possible.

I know it's a totally different approach, and I don't know if it's possible to do. But in my head it would be much more logical and "clean".

This is interesting but it means that you couldn't merge cameras between scenes without losing the override settings. The elegance of having all of this per-camera is that you can do just that. This would open things up nicely, and would also minimise the risk of incorrect render settings for particular shots.

I also disagree that these settings are duplicates across the UI. These settings are only really accessible currently in the render settings dialog. I think they should be enabled as overrides in the cameramod and then kept in the render settings but only take affect if no cameramod is being used, as is currently the case. Currently, if you have no cameramod then it takes the exposure settings etc. from your RS dialog. If you do have a cameramod then that takes over. It's quite a nice, clean solution already in place that could just be expanded upon, IMO.

I like Noel's idea of having presets as well, why not.
Alex York
Atelier York
www.atelieryork.co.uk

2015-11-10, 10:28:31
Reply #12

PROH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi atelieyork. I can see that I didn't explaine it vell enough, and unfortunately I haven't got the time to do it right now. But one thing: You should always be able to transfer render override settings via saved presets.

BTW - No matter how its done, it'll still be nice to have this functionallity.

2015-11-10, 10:36:14
Reply #13

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I like PROH idea about render settings presets with include/exclude cameras list. To cram everything in camMod - no, please NO!
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2015-11-10, 11:35:25
Reply #14

Christa Noel

• Active Users
  • God bless us everyone
    • View Profile
    • dionch.studio
I like PROH idea about render settings presets with include/exclude cameras list. To cram everything in camMod - no, please NO!
Big agree, i'm with romullus and PROH ;)