Author Topic: Ryzen 9 3950X build  (Read 13486 times)

2019-12-30, 10:11:52
Reply #15

Jochen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here is my build I finished today. 3950X/Strix-E/4x32GB Corsair 3200 CL16

Quick question, Juraj: where did you find actual 32GB sticks?? Have searched quite a bit, but can't seem to find them anywhere.. However, I do seem to find 32GB sticks that are DDR4-3000, but not the 3200 version. Thanks!

2020-01-02, 15:56:31
Reply #17

Jochen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
https://geizhals.de/?cat=ramddr3&xf=1454_32768~15903_DDR4~15903_keinSO~5015_3200
Thanks a lot! Found what I was looking for.

All parts and pieces are either already delivered, or on their way. I'm so excited!! :D
Will post photo of the finished build..

2020-01-06, 12:37:26
Reply #18

Maybejensen

• Active Users
  • MaybeJensen - Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Maybejensen
Don't want to hijack the thread but also didn't want to post a new one just to show off my build
I finally got my 3950x during the Christmas break and spend a good chunk of time getting it setup.
I'm sort of disappointed that it doesn't run at the 4.7Ghz listed, not even on a single core. I saw it turbo up to 4.4Ghz once, that's about it.
So far it runs at 4.1-4.3Ghz when rendering at 65-70C. The only problem is that my GPU is now super noisy in this tiny case :( Not enough airflow i guess compared to my old one. I think i shouldn't have opted for a "quiet case" and instead for something with high airflow.
The specs are :
• CPU : Ryzen 9 3950X w Noctua NH-D15 Ryzen edition
• GPU : RTX 2080 Super
• G.Skill Neo 32GB 3200 MHz
• Motherboard : Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero
• Case : Fractal Design Refine R6 USB-C
• PSU : Corsair AX860i - 860W PSU
https://imgur.com/7IwL6sG
https://imgur.com/F3PuqWi

MAYBEJENSEN I Working on something I  Ryzen 3950x / RTX 3080

2020-01-06, 15:15:52
Reply #19

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
R6 is tiny case :- ) ? It's the best mid-tower case on market, it has fantastic airflow, you can even look up benchmarks for it (on GamerNexus, no one else does that kind of stuff). You can put 3 fans in front (2 front one bottom front) and open up the moduvent on top (opening up both slots helps with GPU, but hurts the CPU, opening only the second one helps both). Or you can keep the front open, or take out the dust filter.

The actual problem is more related to high-clocked RTX-Super cards and fans ramping up to 2000+ RPM very easily. You can only solve this by lowering the power limit so the card stay cooler at expense of some performance. It's not airflow starved.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-super-turing-ray-tracing,6243-5.html

My 3950X also boosts mostly to 4.5/4.55 but that is kind of expected as it's marketed as "up to" and those are just spikes basically, for few seconds, it's not sustained boost. Some people are annoyed by this marketing but Intel now does it as well with "Velocity Boost clocks".
4.1-4.3Ghz all-core boost on other hand is more than advertised and just great.

There is one aspect to Zen architecture and that's stress on memory controller being inverse to CPU. So high-clocked memory will inadvertly take down a bit of single-core boost. It's possible to stay at lower memory frequency but with faster timings to get around this. But it all makes absolutely no difference in the end, none of it is perceptible difference in performance.

For higher performance, there are Threadrippers.
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2020-01-07, 08:33:08
Reply #20

Maybejensen

• Active Users
  • MaybeJensen - Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Maybejensen
R6 is tiny case :- ) ? It's the best mid-tower case on market, it has fantastic airflow, you can even look up benchmarks for it (on GamerNexus, no one else does that kind of stuff). You can put 3 fans in front (2 front one bottom front) and open up the moduvent on top (opening up both slots helps with GPU, but hurts the CPU, opening only the second one helps both). Or you can keep the front open, or take out the dust filter.

The actual problem is more related to high-clocked RTX-Super cards and fans ramping up to 2000+ RPM very easily. You can only solve this by lowering the power limit so the card stay cooler at expense of some performance. It's not airflow starved.
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-rtx-2080-super-turing-ray-tracing,6243-5.html

My 3950X also boosts mostly to 4.5/4.55 but that is kind of expected as it's marketed as "up to" and those are just spikes basically, for few seconds, it's not sustained boost. Some people are annoyed by this marketing but Intel now does it as well with "Velocity Boost clocks".
4.1-4.3Ghz all-core boost on other hand is more than advertised and just great.

There is one aspect to Zen architecture and that's stress on memory controller being inverse to CPU. So high-clocked memory will inadvertly take down a bit of single-core boost. It's possible to stay at lower memory frequency but with faster timings to get around this. But it all makes absolutely no difference in the end, none of it is perceptible difference in performance.

For higher performance, there are Threadrippers.

Oh the R6 was absolutely a joy to work in! Best case for cable management.
I will get some Noctua fans and do exactly as you mentioned to see if that helps with airflow. Downclocking the GPU is a good idea, i'll tweak it once i get home.
What do you mean by " and open up the moduvent on top (opening up both slots helps with GPU, but hurts the CPU, opening only the second one helps both)"?

2020-01-07, 08:57:00
Reply #21

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Fractal calls 'moduvent' (I guess it's modular venting) the top panel, it's layered feature that lets you open the top of the case to help hot air escape (or mount water cooling radiator).

But completely opening the top will take away airflow away from CPU which will loose the static pressure from front fans (it's good to remove all the cages and keep harddrives mounted in back mostly).
So a good compromise is to open up the top and mount fan only to the furthest part in back (possibly to cover the remaining holes, maybe I will take picture of how I have this done in this case in one of my builds).
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2020-01-07, 12:19:05
Reply #22

Jochen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
maybe I will take picture of how I have this done in this case in one of my builds).
Yes please!! :D

2020-01-07, 14:46:34
Reply #23

Maybejensen

• Active Users
  • MaybeJensen - Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Maybejensen
maybe I will take picture of how I have this done in this case in one of my builds).
Yes please!! :D
Also can you note which ones are intake and which ones are exhaust?
That would be much appreciated

2020-01-07, 16:08:31
Reply #24

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
In the end it doesn't really matter that much which ones are intake or exhaust but the platonic ideal is intake from front to back, more positive pressure (more intake fans than exhaust fans, 3vs 1, or 3vs 2..).

2020-01-08, 10:06:48
Reply #25

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
@Juraj, based on your recommendations I also chose some parts for a system (not built yet).
2 questions though:

a) as far as I understand it, ram speed doesn't make all that much difference between 3200 and 3600 mhz, both Cl16. 3600 would be slightly more "ideal" but in the end it doesn't really appear to differ that much, at least in rendering. Is that correct?

b) I chose a define R6 case because I also own an R5 and am very happy with it. How do you control your case fans? The R5 had a little switch on the front but the R6 doesn't. Is it temperature controlled on the board? How much worse are the shipped case fans in comparison to the noctua ones you use, in terms of noise and overall performance?
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2020-01-08, 11:44:44
Reply #26

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
There is almost zero difference in performance after 3000 MHz, even in Corona. And also it's impossible to get more than 3200 stable if you'll go with 128GB (even 4x16=64 setup could be questionable). Those 4400(OC) numbers are for people who will run dual 8GB sticks only.

Fractal indeed get rid of those controllers, I liked them as well :- ). Now you have to either buy such module and place it inside (or into that top 5.25 slot), or control them from motherboard. These are fixed 1000 rpm 3-pin fans, but you can control those via uefi with 'DC' mode (voltage control). Works just like PWM almost.
The current fans are pretty good I would say, not sure I could quantify the difference with Noctua. The sound profile is less pleasant but they're pretty low-rpm so it's not like they will be too noisy.

2020-01-08, 11:54:05
Reply #27

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Thanks Juraj, that helps :) . Will have to try it out and see how the fans perform and decide based on that. The fans of the R5 sure could be better but did the job so we'll see.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2020-01-15, 23:41:37
Reply #28

Jochen

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Sooo... It's finally going down on Saturday! So excited! A friend of mine will come over and help me with the build. Bit nervous though, since it will be my first ever go at something like this. Luckily he has experiene! :D

Just a quick question though, regarding thermal paste... Should I buy some, and if so what's the preferred? Or is the paste that's delivered with my CPU cooler (Noctua NH-D15 chromax black) more than good enough? I believe it's called NT-H1. Just checking to be sure :) Thanks!

2020-01-16, 09:41:04
Reply #29

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
The ones that comes with from Noctua is perfect and very easy to use.