Author Topic: Proxy causing viewport to freeze for a while  (Read 21435 times)

2019-02-08, 17:21:20

HenrikH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but it has been going on for some time now and that is that my viewport freezes for a while when I have corona porxies in my scene.
It only happens when I switch from perspective view to top view and not vice versa. With one proxy with a 250MB file inside it freezes about 4 seconds. With 8 of those it freezes about 32 seconds. Makes no difference if I use "Cache in RAM" or not, neither what visualisation method. I use a 4 view panel and i switch between them with the F-keys.
So everything goes smooth when proxies are loaded, no problem at all. It's only when I switch from perspective view to top view but that happens quite often unfortunately :(

Thankful for any help!
Best regards
Henrik

2019-02-22, 05:52:01
Reply #1

Gr100

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Got the same problem here.

Hi,

I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but it has been going on for some time now and that is that my viewport freezes for a while when I have corona porxies in my scene.
It only happens when I switch from perspective view to top view and not vice versa. With one proxy with a 250MB file inside it freezes about 4 seconds. With 8 of those it freezes about 32 seconds. Makes no difference if I use "Cache in RAM" or not, neither what visualisation method. I use a 4 view panel and i switch between them with the F-keys.
So everything goes smooth when proxies are loaded, no problem at all. It's only when I switch from perspective view to top view but that happens quite often unfortunately :(

Thankful for any help!
Best regards
Henrik

2019-03-25, 16:55:29
Reply #2

HenrikH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello again!

I finally bought a new computer (mostly because of other reasons :) and was hoping a new fresh install of everything would help in this issue but unfortunately the problem is still there, exactly the same.

The computer i bought was with a Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core processor, 64 GB RAM and a NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060.

Best regards
Henrik

2019-03-30, 20:53:23
Reply #3

HenrikH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Me again

I remembered that i had an old mac book from 2014 and tried it there... no problem at all. Could that mean it has to do with the graphic cards in windows? Mi first computer has a ASUS Geforce GTX 970 STRIX 4GB.

Thanks
Henrik

2019-04-01, 10:51:00
Reply #4

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
It could actually mean that the issue is due to something related to windows. We'll check it out and try to fix it soon!

2019-04-01, 12:08:24
Reply #5

HenrikH

• Active Users
    • View Profile

2019-05-27, 17:35:11
Reply #6

HenrikH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, just wondering if you have done any progress with this issue.
Henrik

2019-05-28, 21:58:16
Reply #7

martonlente

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hello,

I was just about to post this exact same bug report on the forum, when I spotted this thread.

I can confirm the issue is sadly still present in Cinema 4D R20.059 Prime with Corona Renderer version 3 hotfix 2. Let me add some details to the above:

• The viewport freezes on viewport switching, along 100 percent pocessor usage on one thread, when one or more Corona Proxies are present in the scene.
  • The more Corona Proxies there are in the scene, the longer the freeze lasts, when switching viewports. In large scenes with lots of proxies, it practically kills performace, making the scene unusable at a point.
  • The proxies' 'Visualization method' doesn't have an impact on the issue – the problem is always present, when there're just Corona Proxies in the scene.
  • Setting Corona Proxies 'Visible in Editor' to off doesn't have an impact on the issue either.
  • Using Render Instances, or Xrefs as a workaround perfectly works, significantly outperforming Corona Proxies in the viewport. However Corona Proxy has a lot of advantages, it'd be nice to work with that.

The issue would be quite urgent to be fixed, as it not only makes Corona Proxy useless, but causes a 'hard-to-investigate' viewport problem – comically when a user follows Corona best practices for maximum scene optimization.

Thank you for your information in advance!

Kind regards,
Márton Lente

2019-07-11, 21:46:28
Reply #8

mte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.m-te.de
Hi corona Team,

is there any progress in this subject?
I have similar problems with the proxies, when scrubbing the playhead in the timeline.
It looks like corona is reloading the proxy on every frame. I´m not using an animation inside the proxy.

Version:
Full-speed non-debug version
Build timestamp: Jun 17 2019 18:34:35
Version: 4.0 (core 4)
Cinema version: R20.030 CINEMA 4D Studio

2019-07-14, 12:31:55
Reply #9

crazybum2

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi everyone,

I have the same problem here. Description made by Marton Lente is perfect.

I have a scene with maybe around 100 proxies and this is hell to manage, it takes 10 to 30 minutes to refresh a view after a single move of an object. Visualisation method (wire, full mesh or points) is not working at all, all the scene is becoming impossible to modify...

I truly not understand how such a bug is possible...

I use this scene as a xref and its totally destroy my main scene... Production flow is now a production slow. Something easy to made (10 minutes max) need almost an hour to achieve...

My system config : C4D R19, Corona 4,windows 10 pro 64bits, Geforce RTX 2080, direct X 12.0, Nvidia pilot DCH 430.86, IntelCore i9-9900K, 64Go Ram....

Is anybody has an idea about how improve scene with lot of trees ??

2019-08-01, 13:06:07
Reply #10

NOOKTA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.nookta.de
Hello there,

same problem over here. I can either go for a whopping 2,5 GB file-size or rather 50 MB and incredibly slow viewport. This is converting around 15 trees/bushes to proxies.

I only have these 15 proxies in my scene, additionally I (render)-instanced them a few times, but it doesn't help really. I'm afraid if I copy the proxies it'll be even worse.

I hoped for a fix with the latest Corona Release. Is there any news or progress about this? Do you guys need more information from us to figure it out/look further into?

C4D R20.059
Windows 10 Pro 1903
Threadripper 2990WX
64GB DDR4 Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070
Gigabyte X399 Arous Xtreme

Cheers
www.nookta.de — architectural visualization based in germany
https://www.instagram.com/nookta_visualization/

2019-08-30, 23:42:35
Reply #11

HenrikH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there

Just wondering if you guys have noticed any improvements lately?
Everything is still the same for me.

Corona, can you tell anything about why this is happening and what we or you can do about it? Any chances it will be solved with c4d r21 or corona v5?

Cheers

2019-08-31, 15:17:56
Reply #12

mte

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.m-te.de
unfortunately no improvements, as far as I know.

2019-08-31, 15:53:13
Reply #13

houska

• Former Corona Team Member
  • Active Users
  • Cestmir Houska
    • View Profile
Corona, can you tell anything about why this is happening and what we or you can do about it? Any chances it will be solved with c4d r21 or corona v5?

Hi there!

I can confirm that there have been no improvements lately, indeed. But we investigated the situation and have plans on how to make the Corona Proxy behave much better. These plans are quite short-term, so I think you might see improvements in one of the next dailies in the following weeks or months.

2019-08-31, 21:30:06
Reply #14

HenrikH

• Active Users
    • View Profile
That’s really good news!
Thanks for sharing!

Cheers