Author Topic: Mental ray discontinued  (Read 2112 times)

2017-11-17, 20:28:46

blank...

• Active Users
    • View Profile
NVIDIA will no longer offer new subscriptions to the NVIDIA ® Mental Ray ® plugins for Maya and 3ds Max, as well as Mental Ray standalone from November 20 th , 2017 onward.
To bring AI and further GPU acceleration to graphics, NVIDIA continues to significantly focus on developing SDKs and technologies for software development partners who create professional ray tracing products.
With this focus, we have discontinued development of plugins and new features for Mental Ray.

Haven't used it for several years, still sad to see it die like this, not with a bang but a whimper.

http://images.nvidia.com/content/newsletters/email/pdf/Mental-Ray-FAQ-201.pdf?mkt_tok=eyJpIjoiWVRNME5qbG1ZekF6TkRJMCIsInQiOiJKV3FqYlwvYkVSUlcxN0V5NXdxcjRvYSt3SkpmXC96cW9JamRKU0Nmc0QrTnFHXC9DQjJLQ3VDVXB5ZlVjRUdZZUJ1NklSRDNzVUpjd01oYWRXUURTMnh4OEQ2cytpaDB5MTJRaEYxQUNRM1dXbFpEWTM0bGNCb2hOWXRSRUlpZHpnKyJ9

2017-11-27, 22:15:15
Reply #1

steyin

• Active Users
  • BALLS
    • View Profile
    • Instagram Page
Good riddance I say. The headaches I endured using it were plentiful. I was a big fan of it when it was first integrated into MAX, but after a few years I grew sick of it. I can count on one hand the number of people I know who still use it.