Author Topic: Animations - VFB-curves switch off  (Read 3084 times)

2020-07-15, 18:55:48

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi there,

does anyone know why in animations, curves in the VFB are deactivated every time a new frame is calculated?

If switched on after the animation finishes, the curves neither do seem to apply to the whole movie / all renders.

Of course one can add curves in post but I'd like them to stay active during the animation in Corona.

Thanks in advance for any tip.

2020-07-16, 00:54:50
Reply #1

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Which versions?
Do you render directly to PV or via VFB?
What are your settings?
Or better, do you have an example to share?

Tested with latest daily on S22 - works fine, Curves stay on.

2020-07-20, 16:44:59
Reply #2

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Which versions?
Do you render directly to PV or via VFB?
What are your settings?
Or better, do you have an example to share?

Tested with latest daily on S22 - works fine, Curves stay on.

Hey burnin, thanks for your reply.
I am on C4D R21. Corona 5 version.

Not eager to mess up my daily work with bugs from the V6 before it is officially released.

I had rendered to PV.
You think that could be the reason? Gonna make a short animation test render in the VFB.

2020-07-20, 16:47:30
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
As a note, prior to Corona 6, the PV uses a Cinema 4D native color space, which differs from the Corona VFB color space. You can only save animations from the PV, which means you get things saved with the C4D color space (meaning it can look a little different from what you see in the VFB).

In Corona 6, it's now possible to make the VFB use the C4D color space (it's a new default, even), which means anything saved from the PV will be the same as you saw in the VFB. This could be something to do with what you are seeing here - may not be that the curves are disabled, could just be that the color space is different.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-07-20, 17:37:05
Reply #4

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
As a note, prior to Corona 6, the PV uses a Cinema 4D native color space, which differs from the Corona VFB color space. You can only save animations from the PV, which means you get things saved with the C4D color space (meaning it can look a little different from what you see in the VFB).

In Corona 6, it's now possible to make the VFB use the C4D color space (it's a new default, even), which means anything saved from the PV will be the same as you saw in the VFB. This could be something to do with what you are seeing here - may not be that the curves are disabled, could just be that the color space is different.

Hey Tom, thanks for your tip.

Did a short test again - and yes, I can confirm that curves do not show effect in the C4D-PV, only in the VFB.
Also: if curves are switched on BEFORE hitting render on the animation, curves will also not show in the VFB either. You need to switch on the curves after animation is done.

However, seems like the effect of curves is not getting saved from the PV.

2020-07-20, 18:37:32
Reply #5

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you send in a scene? It's working as expected for me with the latest daily build (from the 16th). Here's frame 30 from an animation, the curves greatly exagerrated to make sure they couldn't be missed :) The other version is turning curves off and saving from the VFB.

We'd also need to know your C4D version, OS, Corona version you tested on, etc.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2020-07-20, 19:43:06
Reply #6

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Can you send in a scene? It's working as expected for me with the latest daily build (from the 16th). Here's frame 30 from an animation, the curves greatly exagerrated to make sure they couldn't be missed :) The other version is turning curves off and saving from the VFB.

We'd also need to know your C4D version, OS, Corona version you tested on, etc.

Hi Tom,

I am not on the daily build, since I don't want to deal with eventual bugs in it, right now during a big customer project.
Working with Corona V5 at the moment.

My software versions ( & hardware ): C4D R21, Corona V5, OS X 10.15.2, Mac pro 2019 - 16 core

Attached you find the C4D scene.
Thanks in advance!

2020-07-21, 17:10:13
Reply #7

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In a file you shared, there's no curve set at all.
Still, it works as it should.
Once a custom curve is defined, it renders straight to PV w/o any problems. And doesn't reset even after restart.
W10, R18, CRN 5.2 here, so maybe it's just Mac...

example: Curve On vs Curve OFF

Modified scene w/ results attached.

//
& Damn, now I wish I could animate curves and all postFX, passes, lights... with/in Corona VFB. The team should really oughta make a standalone Studio Compositor version :p

2020-07-21, 19:57:19
Reply #8

Designerman77

• Active Users
    • View Profile
In a file you shared, there's no curve set at all.
Still, it works as it should.
Once a custom curve is defined, it renders straight to PV w/o any problems. And doesn't reset even after restart.
W10, R18, CRN 5.2 here, so maybe it's just Mac...

example: Curve On vs Curve OFF

Modified scene w/ results attached.

//
& Damn, now I wish I could animate curves and all postFX, passes, lights... with/in Corona VFB. The team should really oughta make a standalone Studio Compositor version :p

Hey burnin,

thanks for taking the time to test & reply.

So, it seems to be an issue just on there Corona Mac-Version.

I had not attached curve settings into the C4D-scene, since I thought you would anyway apply your own curves. :)
« Last Edit: 2020-07-21, 20:01:23 by Designerman77 »