Chaos Corona for 3ds Max > [Max] Corona Goodies - User Contributions

Adjustment To Curve

(1/8) > >>

dubcat:
I've been playing around with this amazing PSD made by Edmon Amiraghyan.

But there were a few things about this PSD that bugged me.
- The gradient has a pixel aspect ratio of 2.34, not pixel perfect.
- The grid does not match the fine grid in Photoshop, this made it harder to recreate LUTs.

Here is the new version where these problems are fixed.
I want to thank Edmon Amiraghyan for sharing the original PSD. All credit goes to him.

This is how you change to the fine grid in Photoshop
Or you can hold down ALT and click in the curve editor.

Remember to resize the curve editor

Here is the PSD in action.

maru:
Sorry for the dumb question, but what practical use could there be for this? I understand this is a great aid for understanding "what is going on" with the image when using different adjustment layers. You mentioned creating LUTs - can you shed some more light?

dubcat:
Here's a little guide on how I'm using it.

A LUT could be made of a gazillion layer blends, a curve, maybe a little sprinkle of Channel Mixer. Or maybe it was made in DaVinci Resolve or Nuke.
But in the end, everything can be recreated with one single curve.
You are kinda stuck with what you get when you are using a LUT, but if you can recreate the LUT, there is no limit.

This is how I do it.

I'm using AI42 004 from Evermotion as an example image.

This is how it looks like with a LUT.
In this case I'm using "Valencia" from Instagram, because it has a nice RGB spread for this guide.

After applying the Valencia LUT to the PSD I posted, you get this curve.

I find it easier to just draw the curve with this tool.

Then I smooth the curve with this tool.

You end up with this.
Now you can add more points and fine tune it.

When I have done this to R G and B, it looks like this.

And here is the final result.
Of course the more time you spend on recreating the curve, the more accurate it will become.

When you are done with your modifications you can export it as a LUT again.
This way you can preview "the final result" in in Frame-buffer.

vkiuru:
Dubcat, you are sharing a great deal of really useful tips and interesting information, even though some of it is way too specialized or technically advanced for me to understand :) Thanks!

dubcat:
Thank you, glad you liked it :)

I did a fun experiment today.
There is a dirty technique for creating albedo textures from shitty diffuse textures. You duplicate the texture, invert it, change blend mode to "Soft Light" and boost the vibrance.
I have made a LUT that does all this for me, but I wanted to see if I could get the same result from one single curve adjustment, and guess what.

The curve is not perfect, so there are some differences. Like the LUT has some RGB splitting here and there. But I didn't want to spend more time on it.
The curve is set to "Luminosity" blend mode, since I didn't split the RGB values.
Like, who would have guessed that this curve = duplicate the texture, invert it, change blend mode to "Soft Light" and boost the vibrance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version