Author Topic: Licensing question  (Read 3848 times)

2022-11-08, 22:39:06
Reply #15

BigAl3D

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Stefan-L Yes, BUT if your connection is out unexpectedly, then you are stuck with using Blender I guess. Even if you can use your phone to edit you settings, your PC won't know you've borrowed anything. In theory, you should be able to use your phone's hotspot (tethering) function so your PC can get to the web that way. I wasn't able to get it working, but in theory...

2022-11-09, 00:28:35
Reply #16

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
as noted, PC can always connect via mobile "hotspot" (is already possible and have been doing it for ages)

btw as I'm aware and have read: every SW EULA resolves dev(s)/program creator(s) and provider(s) from any responsibility in all cases of mishap - there's simply no warranty their stuff works flawlessly on any machine! Fun fact of life. Most one can hope for is "money back" or some sort of compensation for product value, but none for damage(s). Unless it's a criminal act (specifically done w/ intention to cause harm or damage). 

not for kids :D
« Last Edit: 2022-11-09, 00:32:56 by burnin »

2022-11-09, 07:31:19
Reply #17

minimaldesign - Blaž

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • minimaldesign
as noted, PC can always connect via mobile "hotspot" (is already possible and have been doing it for ages)

btw as I'm aware and have read: every SW EULA resolves dev(s)/program creator(s) and provider(s) from any responsibility in all cases of mishap - there's simply no warranty their stuff works flawlessly on any machine! Fun fact of life. Most one can hope for is "money back" or some sort of compensation for product value, but none for damage(s). Unless it's a criminal act (specifically done w/ intention to cause harm or damage). 

not for kids :D

Why should I bother with the license if it's already paid?
And should I need an IT PhD now because of stupidity/paranoia of Chaos? I didn't see this when I bought the licenses ;)
So Chaos have all business partners as potential thieves....there is no other way to explain it

look...if I pay for the license today and the internet goes out tomorrow, what the hell does corona have to check the license until the next expiry date?
If I am without the Internet for a whole month, with the exception of the day of the license renewal payment...and corona doesn't work for a whole month because of stupidity...did you cause me great business damage or not?

Do you understand the nonsense or?

I repeat...if you don't have internet you can't edit the license and also why edit something that is paid for?

If I pay for something it has to work with or without internet.
I have an active license from this to this date, not from this to this minute or after use...end of story
« Last Edit: 2022-11-09, 07:49:55 by minimaldesign - Blaž »

2022-11-09, 16:18:41
Reply #18

Stefan-L

• Active Users
    • View Profile
"@Stefan-L Yes, BUT if your connection is out unexpectedly, then you are stuck"

well if you use that as default lic setup (the internet isnt needed, and if internet fails for some hours or days nothing bad happens. Internet then is only needed every 2 weeks or so i think).

we do it that way at least to be more save.

2022-11-10, 02:15:03
Reply #19

burnin

• Active Users
    • View Profile
@Blaž
Yes, I totally get what you're on about and am also knowledgeable ( about how juridical and administrative systems operate and can interpret acts, clauses, contracts, etc., from my previous career working for gov.).
So, again, short interpretation of case as I observe it:
 "Customer" did pay for license to use "SaaS" for certain time period, which it had also been given access to, but at same time, that same "customer" then failed to either set-up, administer and/or maintain it's own system the way which should and would prevent "SaaS" to fail to operate and could cause damage in case of any unforeseeable accident (such as loss of connectivity or disruption in power grid distribution due to HW/mechanical malfunction as a consequence of natural occurrence like weather storm, earth quake... bla, bla, bla..."

Still, don't take mine or any other word solely for granted. Especially when in doubt and "is first advice perfectly suited for you. Seek more opinions, preferably from experienced and highly skilled professionals.
If you have an option, do consult your legal advisor.

This merely is MHO and hopefully a sound word to get you a bit faster over such unpleasant experience, going on towards brighter & better future.

Keep it up.

2022-11-10, 07:07:46
Reply #20

minimaldesign - Blaž

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • minimaldesign
@Blaž
Yes, I totally get what you're on about and am also knowledgeable ( about how juridical and administrative systems operate and can interpret acts, clauses, contracts, etc., from my previous career working for gov.).
So, again, short interpretation of case as I observe it:
 "Customer" did pay for license to use "SaaS" for certain time period, which it had also been given access to, but at same time, that same "customer" then failed to either set-up, administer and/or maintain it's own system the way which should and would prevent "SaaS" to fail to operate and could cause damage in case of any unforeseeable accident (such as loss of connectivity or disruption in power grid distribution due to HW/mechanical malfunction as a consequence of natural occurrence like weather storm, earth quake... bla, bla, bla..."

Still, don't take mine or any other word solely for granted. Especially when in doubt and "is first advice perfectly suited for you. Seek more opinions, preferably from experienced and highly skilled professionals.
If you have an option, do consult your legal advisor.

This merely is MHO and hopefully a sound word to get you a bit faster over such unpleasant experience, going on towards brighter & better future.

Keep it up.

If I paid for a period of one month.
The software doesn't even work basically to order renderings if it doesn't have internet. The problem is not about some additional things like Cosmos, etc...which I would still somehow understand, because it is online...corona is not online render software. I understand that it doesn't work the specific part..but not the base which is not online and does not make the slightest sense to check the license every F 3min or so ;)
And what's the point of checking the license 24/7 if it's paid for by the end of the month?!?!

In short...it doesn't matter anymore anyway. We have finished this story and we're moving on without corona. Too much damage was done...we just got excuses that make no sense or logic.
I'm a little sorry because it's a good software...but in such way of operation as it's now with a license that we will shake every day whether we will be able to realize the project + these price increase, which are more than 100%. ..you have to be crazy to accept that

I believe that we are a drop in the ocean and I believe that we are not the only ones who have received such nonsense from corona.
Where corona is going now, yes it's great software and all....but it doesn't outweigh this risk, which is worth more than all the licenses. This is about business and business partners, and our delay can represent a couple of €100,000 in damage to the client.
...x client are suing us because we didn't do it on time (because we couldn't use what we paid for) and because they also suffered enormous financial loss from this because of this stupid chaos policy. What about this? + 14days of work will not be paid and all other costs.
And then they tells you, "you have to borrow a license"...oh great! thanks for the advice! ...but we don't have F internet and for borrow the license you need the Internet again...and if we had internet why would you even borrow a license in the first place? Then they tell you "no problem"!..do an It PhD first and you will sort out our nonsense
« Last Edit: 2022-11-10, 08:39:18 by minimaldesign - Blaž »

2022-11-10, 09:35:05
Reply #21

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
@minimaldesign - Blaž, just a thought, if you have internet only one day per month, then maybe software that requires internet to work is not your biggest issue? Did you write angry letters to your ISP as well?
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-11-10, 11:18:24
Reply #22

minimaldesign - Blaž

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • minimaldesign
@minimaldesign - Blaž, just a thought, if you have internet only one day per month, then maybe software that requires internet to work is not your biggest issue? Did you write angry letters to your ISP as well?

"One month without internet was just an extreme case and what are the consequences."
In our case, it was Friday evening and until Tuesday when they came to change the modem.
No one is working over the weekend, they dealt with the problem on Monday and fixed it on Tuesday.
And if you have the project set up, you also have the license paid, you can't make renders over the weekend.
Despite the fact that we didn't need anything with let's say the Cosmos plugin, etc...we didn't need Internet at that time, because the software is not a cloud version or it is?
When you pay for the license, it must work until the expire date...but it is not like that, is it?
Why does it check every 5 minutes or so? For what?
And because of this nonsense, we have a huge financial business loss.
I'm angry because the software is paid and we don't need internet for what we needed at that time ...and it wasn't even the day the license expires...we just had to make renders..one single click on the mouse.
And write that you can "borrow a license"...all well and good...but if you have the internet at that moment to borrow a license...why would you even borrow it if it works?
I don't even know why the restriction and paranoia, if it's paid from this date to this date?
let's say one of the corona team would say, ok, we messed up, it's not right, we'll fix it, I'd still eat somehow, maybe, Because it's not logical and there is nonsense to check like that..what you get is excuses and nonsense.

the biggest tragicomedy of all is that some pirated version would definitely save our project in my case and that the crime saves you and you can use what you paid for
« Last Edit: 2022-11-10, 12:03:40 by minimaldesign - Blaž »

2022-11-10, 11:46:38
Reply #23

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
I've heard the rumours that there are plans to improve how Corona checks for valid licensing. I have no idea when this could happen or if it's true at all, but i agree that it would be nice to hear some statement from devs or support on this matter, since it's quite obvious that there is room for improvement here. One thing is for sure though, spilling anger and frustration here, will help no one.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2022-11-10, 12:10:39
Reply #24

minimaldesign - Blaž

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • minimaldesign
I've heard the rumours that there are plans to improve how Corona checks for valid licensing. I have no idea when this could happen or if it's true at all, but i agree that it would be nice to hear some statement from devs or support on this matter, since it's quite obvious that there is room for improvement here. One thing is for sure though, spilling anger and frustration here, will help no one.

I agree that anger doesn't solve anything...but I'm the one who's paying big time this time for the paranoia for which I don't see any reason or logic