Author Topic: Corona Material Converter info  (Read 11787 times)

2014-09-01, 16:46:41

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Does anyone know how to use the Material Converter to change VrayMtl to CoronaMtl?

Can someone direct me to a video or something.... in basic terms.
Also, please direct me to tutorials on how to get the best rendering options within Corona.

Thanks.

2014-09-01, 18:19:52
Reply #1

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
For the material converter: click on "Start conversion" (everything else is optional)
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2014-09-01, 21:37:22
Reply #2

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
???

« Last Edit: 2014-09-02, 09:47:16 by K u r a i »

2014-09-02, 12:56:17
Reply #3

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
What exactly is the problem here? If there's any problem with a specific feature ask that, but I seriously have no idea what needs further explanation?

P.S.: another thread (asking the exact same thing) won't do it either, I deleted the other one.

2014-09-02, 13:53:06
Reply #4

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Does anyone know how to use the Material Converter to change VrayMtl to CoronaMtl?

Can someone direct me to a video or something.... in basic terms.
Also, please direct me to tutorials on how to get the best rendering options within Corona.

Thanks.

Kurai,

1st. - Download the script if you have some older Corona version, or if you have installed the latest A7.1, or even A6 the script will be installed for you already.
2nd - If you had to download, copy "coronaConverter_v0.20.ms" or any other version to your C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max XXXX\scripts\ directory. Start 3dstudio max. If you have latest Corona version skip this step to the "Start 3dstudio max" part.
3rd - Once inside max, open up your v-ray scene and change the render engine to Corona (you can do that with the script also but since it is not ticked by default I have mentioned it here)
4th - Go to the "MAXscript" toolbar, press "Run Script..."
5th - It should immediately point you to the scripts directory, if it doesn't then search for it (should be somewhere in your C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max XXXX\scripts\
6th - Choose "coronaConverter_v0.20.ms" or any other version that you might have (but shouldn't :D - update!)
7th - You will get a little window with Corona Material Converter
8th - Press START CONVERSION
9th - Enjoy :)
My 3d stock portfolio - http://3docean.net/user/tomislavn

2014-09-02, 15:00:54
Reply #5

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Tomislavn,

I did that and when I press 'start convertion' nothing happens. Maybe I am missing something.

Hey, DeadClown. Courtesy costs nothing. If you want people to become loyal to your product you have to cater to peoples needs without attitude.
If I don't understand something it's not my fault.

What am I converting? Materials in the Max viewport or specific files on my HD?
Why is there no clear instructions? The buck stops with you. Case closed.

2014-09-02, 15:11:30
Reply #6

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Thanks Tomislavn,

I did that and when I press 'start convertion' nothing happens. Maybe I am missing something.

...What am I converting? Materials in the Max viewport or specific files on my HD?...

You are welcome. Anyway, that is a bit weird. Have you checked with scripts listener in the left bottom part of the screen? It should say "DONE" when the process is over. Usually it takes a while if you have more then 1-2 materials. You can also notice that the process is over when all of your objects become grey in the viewport.

You are converting only the materials in max. Files on the hdd remain the same.

2014-09-02, 15:24:46
Reply #7

johan belmans

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • belly.be
Hi Kurai

Your opinion about Deadclown is incorrect.
Perhaps you should thick "switch renderer to Corona".

2014-09-02, 15:41:44
Reply #8

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Perhaps you should thick "switch renderer to Corona".

Yeah that might be it also, but then again in the steps above I have mentioned that he has to switch to Corona renderer before running the script so if he followed my steps this should be obsolete :/ ...then again you never know =D

2014-09-02, 15:59:49
Reply #9

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks Tomislavn,

I will try again later. Hopefully the Corona Mat Library will expand with time. I have a huge collection of VrayMtl and VRmats.
I really need to convert: Porcelain. I use it for my kitchen doors.

Don't want them to go to waste cos I have just spent the last two months compiling them. In fact, in the last few months I have gone
from Sketchup + Vray2 to 3Ds Max + Vray3. But I am going to give everything up for Max + Corona. The colour mapping is the best I've seen.

I ONLY JOINED YESTERDAY....SO APOLOGIES TO DEADCLOWN :))) I AM NEW TO 3DS MAX, VRAY + CORONA. I AM NEW TO CG FULLSTOP.

So any support, however small, goes a long way....

2014-09-02, 16:45:36
Reply #10

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Okay, I got it to work. It says "Done" in the Maxscript as you mentioned (in the bottom left) and the Material Editor has now changed from Standard to CoronaMtl.

But, is it possible to save this as a CoronaMtl file on my HD so I can apply it to other objects in other projects?
And build up a library of converted materials?

Thanks

2014-09-02, 17:07:36
Reply #11

tomislavn

• Active Users
  • Lightbringer
    • View Profile
    • My 3docean Portolio
Okay, I got it to work. It says "Done" in the Maxscript as you mentioned (in the bottom left) and the Material Editor has now changed from Standard to CoronaMtl.

But, is it possible to save this as a CoronaMtl file on my HD so I can apply it to other objects in other projects?
And build up a library of converted materials?

Thanks

Great! Glad that you got it sorted out :) Now you can go on and submit some nice renders!
I haven't tried actually, but I don't see why would it be a problem to make a material library out of Corona materials. Go on and try it :) it should work as usual.

2014-09-02, 17:25:53
Reply #12

K u r a i

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks...

But, what I am asking is.... HOW to save a converted file... so I can store it for other projects
I don't know how to save it.

2014-09-02, 19:14:07
Reply #13

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Make new material library or open existing one, put your materials in it and save it to hdd. Simple as that.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2014-09-02, 19:14:44
Reply #14

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
I won't address everything that has been said here now but...
1) we (at least me) normally expect a certain amount of basic max knowledge when some questions are asked. I do not know how much or how few you know about max. So when you ask "how to use the converter" I could ...
a) explain how to load scripts, what a material is and how it is structured and how to save material libraries and so on
b) assume you know how to use max and just need help with a specific feature (that's what I asked for).

2) I'm not in any way associated with the product (Corona renderer). I'm only the developer of the converter script, so if if you think I behave to harsh, it's just me, not the corona team ;-)

3) Corona does not have to be the active renderer to use the converter, just as a note, it works nontheless.

4) again about courtesy and support. I do that (you can have a look in the converter thread), I just don't have the time to answer questions that have been put in a very general way. If you need help, make clear what you need. I don't mean anyone any harm (...and everyone may have a bad mood once in a while) ;-)