Author Topic: Corona Material/Lights Converter (legacy)  (Read 1088452 times)

2014-01-27, 15:15:45
Reply #165

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio
I think I'll simply add an instruction how to modify the file yourself :)

It would be great, looking forward for your instruction.

2014-02-07, 03:50:00
Reply #166

arturso

• Users
    • View Profile
it would be very nice if converter could convert material librarys. i have pretty big vray mat. library to recreate all of the, in corona wouldn't be fun :D

2014-02-10, 06:42:57
Reply #167

xt13r

• Active Users
  • Viva la Corona!
    • View Profile
    • my portfolio
Hi, DeadClown! build 0.15 of your script is working really fine with latest corona's builds, but i have a suggestion.
As we know from oficial FAQs in corona it is recommended to make albedo between 0,7-0,8 (depends on type and colour of material,of course), so may be that would be a good idea to make this function directly in script, so it not required to make it in all converted materials by hands. for example, make some additional parameter, where we can write value of albedo, tick it on and this number will apply as albedo number in all converted materials.

anyway, thank you for this very useful script!

2014-02-10, 18:14:25
Reply #168

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
it would be very nice if converter could convert material librarys. i have pretty big vray mat. library to recreate all of the, in corona wouldn't be fun :D
I'll think about it, but scripting that feature costs time too (my time ;-) ). I've no idea how good or bad mat libs are accessible by maxscript, I'll check that.

Hi, DeadClown! build 0.15 of your script is working really fine with latest corona's builds, but i have a suggestion.
As we know from oficial FAQs in corona it is recommended to make albedo between 0,7-0,8 (depends on type and colour of material,of course), so may be that would be a good idea to make this function directly in script, so it not required to make it in all converted materials by hands. for example, make some additional parameter, where we can write value of albedo, tick it on and this number will apply as albedo number in all converted materials.

Glad to here it works good :)
I've discussed the same thing with another tester via PM ... I personally don't think it's useful for anything. Sure, you can "fix" pure white materials by one click but this doesn't lead to good materials - it just makes the ones that were totally wrong a bit less wrong and the ones that were quite right more wrong. Sure, it can be done with very little scripting (and I did that already, PM me if you're interested) but I'll not implement it into the converter. It will just make everyone use 0.8 diffuse multiplier for everything "just to be sure" - and that's not what I want people to do.
Any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature.

2014-02-11, 19:07:22
Reply #169

cecofuli

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • www.francescolegrenzi.com
Suggestion:

(*) add a macro (so we can add a button or shortcut).
(*) add un-show map in view port button (useful for fast viewport).

2014-02-12, 15:35:45
Reply #170

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
(*) add a macro (so we can add a button or shortcut).
(*) add un-show map in view port button (useful for fast viewport).

Done, + some more dirt map features and a proper VrayOverrideMtl conversion. Just uncomment the first 2 lines and you have a macroscript ready to be installed.
Every v0.15 tester can grab the new version via the originally supplied link.

[Edit] Updated the file another time with scene statistics feature
« Last Edit: 2014-02-12, 21:38:35 by DeadClown »

2014-02-13, 00:15:43
Reply #171

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
DeadClown, if I mind asking, is your username by any chance "Recon442" on Chaos forum ? Guy does sound remotely similar to you :- D But I might be wrong heh. If I am not wrong, it's interresting to see your discussion with GrantWarwick. He seems quite knowledgeable, to point I am thinking of giving those few bucks for his training but god...his attitude...

I am also shocked (in humorous way) how many people now suddenly consider themselves "professionals who understand it" with Vray yet produce shitty pictures with incredibly long render times, how is that logically possible...
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models
Behance  Probably best updated portfolio of my work
lysfaere.com Please check the new stuff!

2014-02-13, 00:31:59
Reply #172

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Nope, I'm not ;) I'm not active in the chaosgroup forums but I have the same nickname there as I have here. But I'd like to see the discussion between those two, so if you want to drop me a link.. ;)

One reason why I'm not active there is the exact thing you are mentioning: too many "professionals" doing tutorials and """pro-""" tips containing total nonsense. There are a bunch of good ones out there but I've seen too many people people talking about fast render settings and then proclaiming that it would be a great idea to set the "number of passes" parameter in LC to 4 -_-

Btw, I tried to reach you via PM but it seems you have blocked PMs here on the forum. Wanted to ask if you were interested to test the A6-ready converter version with some of your scenes. Just some quick tests if everything works so far.

2014-02-13, 00:35:42
Reply #173

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Sorry about that... there were too many people sending me private messages, and I get hundreds of them monthly on FB, Behance, everywhere...I just can't use that form anymore. Everyone asks the same thing over and over and over.
I am not testing the dailies though, so I am not sure if I could be useful, not much time and I am always bit afraid. Maybe I should try it.

Heh well, then I was wrong :- ) Maybe it's Rawalanche then? Must be someone from here :- D Since he mention influencing Corona's UI. Here's the thread:

http://forums.chaosgroup.com/showthread.php?76203-Ideas-on-making-V-Ray-s-sampling-UI-more-intuitive
Please follow my new Instagram for latest projects, tips&tricks, short video tutorials and free models

2014-02-13, 00:44:38
Reply #174

racoonart

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • racoon-artworks
Haha, well, that's the good thing if you're the scripting monkey :D No one asks questions as long as the software works ;)
No problem, I thought you would be using the dailies but I can understand that you're preferring to use one stable build (especially for commercial work).

Thanks for the link, looks entertaining - especially in relation to 3.0's new interface which is such a pain in the a**.

2014-02-13, 01:00:02
Reply #175

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
nice read, again with the mentality "i became somehow proficient with it, so stop improving it, it must be good enough now" ;)

edit: nice one:
Recon442, just out of interest - what is ridiculous or complex on the dome light workflow?
more easy i almost cant image?
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2014-02-13, 01:11:17
Reply #176

Juraj

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • studio website
Yeah I am really tired of the dissmisive attitude that if you dislike something it must be because you're beginner obviously. But it's the fanboys though.. the Chaos team is often very reasonable, almost submissive :- ). If there's one thing you and Vlado have similar, it's you both seems to have too much time to spend on forum instead of coding :- D just kidding..no ban please

2014-02-13, 09:00:57
Reply #177

Ludvik Koutny

• VIP
  • Active Users
  • Just another user
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Yeah, Recon442 is me...  old nickname that i used way before i came up with the new one. I created that account ages ago, and got it activated to all sections once i started to use Vray at work.

2014-02-14, 10:47:20
Reply #178

astudio

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • A-Studio

2014-02-18, 14:25:15
Reply #179

Alexp

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Is this normal? I'm using the last build of corona ( Feb 17 2014 )

Thanks