Author Topic: Creating "clouds" of objects (leaves, insects etc)?  (Read 2617 times)

2018-04-04, 17:16:19

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi. Like the title says, what's the fastest and easiest way to create clouds of objects? I've tried the pcloud object in Max, but it's very slow and seems buggy, it slows down/freezes max. Also, I couldn't get it to use several meshes randomly. I have access to max/corona scatter/forest pack.

2018-04-04, 17:26:28
Reply #1

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
  • Let's move this topic, shall we?
    • View Profile
    • My Models
For static shots any scatterer would do - Corona, forest, etc. For animations i would use pflow instead of obsolete max particle systems.
I'm not Corona Team member. Everything i say, is my personal opinion only.
My Models | My Videos | My Pictures

2018-04-04, 18:00:50
Reply #2

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
But how do you scatter in the air? I tried using particle systems as scatter "surfaces", but nothing worked in corona scatter or forest pack. I also tried mesh particles, but no luck.

2018-04-04, 18:11:33
Reply #3

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Change Corona Scatter from "2D - on surfaces" to "3D - in bounding box" (edit and then scatter on something that isn't a plane, of course :) )
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-04-04, 18:29:42
Reply #4

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Change Corona Scatter from "2D - on surfaces" to "3D - in bounding box" (edit and then scatter on something that isn't a plane, of course :) )

Of course. So RTFM, basically, should have been able to figure that out. Thanks.

2018-04-04, 18:40:11
Reply #5

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Another problem though. Corona scatter doesn't work with motion blur? (Trying to do blowing leaves)

2018-04-04, 18:51:37
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Correct (from a quick test just now), you'd likely have to bake the scatter to geometry and then animate.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2018-04-04, 19:02:34
Reply #7

Monkeybrother

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Correct (from a quick test just now), you'd likely have to bake the scatter to geometry and then animate.

Ok, thanks. PFlow was easy enough to figure out once I knew it existed, so I'll go with that for now.

2018-04-04, 19:19:33
Reply #8

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
You can't go wrong with pflow... almost :] It has some issues with Corona, but it's so much more powerful tool than simple scatterer.

Since 3D method uses only distribution object's bounding box, i prefer to use 2D (on surface) plus translation in z direction - that way i maintain full control in x and y directions. I wish 3D method would use true volume of distribution object instead of bounding box.

2018-04-04, 19:21:39
Reply #9

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Good news, we will do the tight 3D distribution in foreseeable future ;)
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)

2018-04-04, 19:28:17
Reply #10

romullus

• Global Moderator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
    • My Models
Haha, brilliant! Any small improvement in CScatter, is very welcomed! :]