Author Topic: 3DSMax 2025 ACES and Corona Render  (Read 1388 times)

2024-03-29, 13:03:11

Salvatore CDA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • CDA3DLive
Hi, maybe this question has been posted already but I didn't find an answer. Now ACES Colorspace is the defauld  on in 3DSMax 2025 So when I use Corona Render and the ACES OT is on by default as well, should I still use the Color settings from Max to Standard Gama 2,2, or can I turn the 3DSMax ACES Colorspace on ? what will happen? Will the ACES colorspace applied twice? Thanks for making it clear
« Last Edit: 2024-03-29, 13:51:59 by Salvatore CDA »

2024-03-29, 14:04:31
Reply #1

Salvatore CDA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • CDA3DLive
Ok Maybe Im wrong but example:

In Cinema 4D and Redshift, when I turn on the Color Management OCIO in C4D, the Redshift OCIO turns off. When C4D is set to Linear, the Redshift Color OCIO turns on. all good

C4D/ and or Max and Corona Render, the Question from above stay. I think that Corona Render doesn't support ACES Color Space native. Is that correct? Is Corona Render still Gama 2.2 Linear Space?

2024-03-29, 14:43:53
Reply #2

Salvatore CDA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • CDA3DLive
OK, I get it.

If the DCC manages the Colorspace OCIO, don't use the Corona ACES OT. If you like to use the Corona ACES OT, which is on by default leave the DCC at Linear Colorspace

How do you work these days, With OCIO managed by DCC or with the Linear Colorspace and Corona ACES OT?

2024-03-29, 16:10:25
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Here is the short answer:

This applies to both 3ds Max 2024 and 2025 with Corona 11 Hotfix 1:

- When using the legacy gamma 2.2 workflow - everything is straightforward. You can add the ACES OT operator to your tone mapping stack if you wish, pretty much like a LUT. It will make your image appear more "photographic". You can also remove the ACES OT operator. You do not have to add or remove any specific operators.

- When using the OCIO/ACES workflow - You need to add the new gamma correction operator to your tone mapping stack as the last operator. This is because we currently do not support displaying the image in the VFB correctly when using the 3ds Max OCIO/ACES workflow. If you don't apply the gamma correction operator, your image will appear with linear gamma in the VFB (it will look to dark). You can apply the ACES OT operator just like a LUT - it will make your image appear more "photographic".

Please note that the below is not yet fully decided, so I cannot provide you with very specific details:
We will soon release a Corona 11 Hotfix 2 which will support 3ds Max 2025 and will assume the ACES/OCIO workflow as the new default with some kind of automated or semi-automated way of correctly displaying the image in the VFB. We are not sure how exactly this will be done, but we will do it in the usual Corona style so that you don't have to worry about it. :)

Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2024-03-30, 19:54:57
Reply #4

Salvatore CDA

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • CDA3DLive
thanks for the answer. I will stay with the Gamma 2.2 workflow until the next updates of the Corona Render

2024-04-05, 18:07:49
Reply #5

CharlyRT

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Here is the short answer:

This applies to both 3ds Max 2024 and 2025 with Corona 11 Hotfix 1:

Hi Maru is there ready a 3ds Max 2025 version?
Or is it only the one from the daily build

2024-04-05, 18:15:18
Reply #6

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
The HF for Max 2025 is due out next Wed if all goes according to plan.
Tom Grimes | chaos-corona.com
Product Manager | contact us

2024-04-05, 20:33:55
Reply #7

CharlyRT

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ohhh thanks Tom!!!

2024-04-05, 20:51:55
Reply #8

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Most welcome! Keep your fingers crossed with us that all goes to plan lol :)

2024-04-15, 21:51:44
Reply #9

TomG

• Administrator
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
We got delayed from last Wed, but the HF for 2025 is out now. https://corona-renderer.com/download

2024-04-17, 08:44:13
Reply #10

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Please note that the below is not yet fully decided, so I cannot provide you with very specific details:
We will soon release a Corona 11 Hotfix 2 which will support 3ds Max 2025 and will assume the ACES/OCIO workflow as the new default with some kind of automated or semi-automated way of correctly displaying the image in the VFB. We are not sure how exactly this will be done, but we will do it in the usual Corona style so that you don't have to worry about it. :)

the changelog of hotfix 2 is a bit vague about it - does display transform from 3ds' ocio setup works with Corona or not yet?
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube

2024-04-17, 09:41:12
Reply #11

Aram Avetisyan

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
    • View Profile

the changelog of hotfix 2 is a bit vague about it - does display transform from 3ds' ocio setup works with Corona or not yet?

It does not, just yet, but it is planned. Actually it is the missing piece from 3ds Max Color management support.

As display transform is a bit technical (to find, to understand, to use etc.), we just went with general "OCIO is not fully supported" way, to encourage users use Gamma workflow for now, for consistent and expected results.
Aram Avetisyan | chaos-corona.com
Chaos Corona Support Representative | contact us

2024-04-17, 10:23:12
Reply #12

piotrus3333

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thank you.
Marcin Piotrowski
youtube