Author Topic: Bug with Physical Materials and the Asset Browser  (Read 3859 times)

2024-01-10, 17:32:27

d4l1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi!

I'm experiencing a strange bug with C4D 2024.2 and Corona 11. If I create a Physical Material and define a color, apply that to a default cube and add that cube into the Asset Browser, the material will turn grey after I load the asset out of the Asset Browser again. Does not happen with a Legacy Material. Somehow it felt like a Cinema bug and therefore I've created a bug ticket on their support site as well. But maybe it is something Corona specific? It is really really strange. We're on Windows 10. Attached is a simple test scene where I can reproduce the error.

2024-01-11, 09:32:27
Reply #1

tuami

• Active Users
    • View Profile
having the same problem, already wrote with the support team, they have created a bug report
the problem exists if the material is assigned to a geometry and open it from the assets browser.
if you save only the material, it does not happen. it should definitely be checked.

2024-01-11, 09:42:46
Reply #2

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Yep, it was me you were speaking with. We definitely have it reported on file. :)
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2024-01-11, 09:44:21
Reply #3

d4l1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Ah, nice to know! Already existing bug report gives me hope for a quick fix. Unfortunately that is some really nasty little bug.

2024-01-11, 09:52:30
Reply #4

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Unfortunately, I'm not able to reproduce this here as they load back in as expected. Maybe you can try creating a null and copy all the materials to that as well when saving it with your asset? At least then if the materials on the object load white, you can copy back the originals from the null.
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2024-01-18, 11:55:02
Reply #5

tuami

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi, I'll be in touch again today, this error is really preventing us from storing data in the library (which is currently absolutely necessary for us). The problem is, you think everything is working because the preview etc. looks correct, but as soon as you render, you see that the material has reset, you can also see it when you check the data set for the material. I hope the error can be solved quickly, I think many users are not at all aware that this error exists and only notice it when they really need the data from the Asset Browser.

sorry for putting a bit of pressure here.
greeting
tuami

2024-01-18, 13:06:44
Reply #6

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Hi, I'll be in touch again today, this error is really preventing us from storing data in the library (which is currently absolutely necessary for us). The problem is, you think everything is working because the preview etc. looks correct, but as soon as you render, you see that the material has reset, you can also see it when you check the data set for the material. I hope the error can be solved quickly, I think many users are not at all aware that this error exists and only notice it when they really need the data from the Asset Browser.

sorry for putting a bit of pressure here.
greeting
tuami

Hi there, as far as I can figure out, storing the materials to a null when saving your asset should fix them loading back in grey. If you can test this and let me know, that would be great! :)

Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2024-01-18, 13:34:33
Reply #7

d4l1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Not for me, unfortunately. Tried it with a simple cube and a Corona Physical material.

2024-01-18, 14:21:43
Reply #8

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Ok, interesting. Strangely enough, it works here :/ What version of C4D are you using?

Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2024-01-18, 14:37:11
Reply #9

d4l1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
2024.2.0 and Corona 11. Also tried it with a local Asset Browser Database (previously Database was stored on a NAS)

2024-01-19, 09:23:02
Reply #10

tuami

• Active Users
    • View Profile
we have textured this fire extinguisher with corona materials, then placed it in the asset browser. as you can see, the materials are not transferred correctly when you open the fire extinguisher from the assets browser. however, the preview shows that the materials are on it.the nullobject does not work for us either

« Last Edit: 2024-01-19, 09:31:43 by tuami »

2024-02-06, 10:56:56
Reply #11

tuami

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hello is there any news on this, the bug is there and we can't save assets that have corona materials in the assets browser. thanks

2024-02-26, 11:03:24
Reply #12

tuami

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hello we have updated cienma 4d to 2024.3.1 today in the hope that the problem will no longer occur (it could have been that the problem is caused by cinema 4d) unfortunately the error still exists and we can no longer place assets in the library as the materials seem to be reset. (The bad thing is that you think it's fine, because the previews of the materials are displayed correctly, only after you put the objects from the asset browser back into a scene and look at the material properly, or render it, you see that it is basically just a simple physical standard material). The problem only exists with materials that are placed on objects, materials that are saved directly to the library - without geometry are recognized correctly)

We urgently need help with this problem!

win 11, last Corona version, c4d 2024.3.1

The data is on a network drive, everything else has already been explained a few times above
« Last Edit: 2024-02-26, 11:49:30 by tuami »

2024-02-26, 13:16:53
Reply #13

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Hi there, unfortunately, we are still investigating this issue. We have not forgotten about it.
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2024-03-04, 11:22:18
Reply #14

metanerd

• Active Users
    • View Profile
hello we have updated cienma 4d to 2024.3.1 today in the hope that the problem will no longer occur (it could have been that the problem is caused by cinema 4d) unfortunately the error still exists and we can no longer place assets in the library as the materials seem to be reset. (The bad thing is that you think it's fine, because the previews of the materials are displayed correctly, only after you put the objects from the asset browser back into a scene and look at the material properly, or render it, you see that it is basically just a simple physical standard material). The problem only exists with materials that are placed on objects, materials that are saved directly to the library - without geometry are recognized correctly)

We urgently need help with this problem!

win 11, last Corona version, c4d 2024.3.1

The data is on a network drive, everything else has already been explained a few times above

Same problem here. It's an absolutely annoying thing…
Asset Browser Database is on a Synology Drive.

MacOS Sonoma 14.3.1 / Mac Studio / C4D 2024.3.1 / Corona 11

2024-03-18, 10:47:38
Reply #15

tuami

• Active Users
    • View Profile
we have downgraded c4d and the problem does not occur with 2024.1.0.

2024-03-18, 11:04:07
Reply #16

Beanzvision

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Bengamin
    • View Profile
    • Cormats
Thanks for letting us know, this is also the build I use and so far, have had no issues. It seems something broke along the way.
Bengamin Jerrems l
Portfolio l Click me!

2024-03-27, 16:10:47
Reply #17

John_Do

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Hi,

The bug happens on my side with 2024.3.2, but not with 2023.2.2. Corona 11h1 in both cases. All the material values are reset to default.

So does the issue come from Corona or Cinema ?

Also the generated Asset Browser preview is empty (black square) if the saved asset has Corona dependencies and Corona the active render engine (both conditions have to be met).

« Last Edit: 2024-03-27, 18:04:57 by John_Do »

2024-03-28, 10:10:10
Reply #18

d4l1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
We're waiting to upgrade to 2024 as long as we can't use the Asset Browser and until today it didn't bother us that much. :) But it seems that at least another problem we have with 2023 would be fixed in 2024 and this really would improve our workflow. For now, if we use Corona Bitmaps with the Asset Browser, a problem occurs where the Corona Bitmap is completely blank after re-importing the Asset out of the Asset Browser. The node really loses every 'content' (text, information, ...) and is useless. After re-importing the Texture with a new Corona Bitmap node everything works fine again. (or after switching back to a C4D Bitmap node) At least it seems this is working in 2024 and that would be really nice to have. :)

Are there any updates if that problem could be fixed in the near future? Only with Corona 12 or is there maybe a chance for another Hotfix? 

2024-04-11, 09:51:02
Reply #19

d4l1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Just wondering, if there is any chance that the newer versions of C4D 2024 (.4 , since yesterday) would solve the Asset Browser problem somehow?

2024-04-19, 12:48:12
Reply #20

d4l1

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Since there was a Hotfix to Corona 11 and also the new 2024.4 had some promising new feature, I've installed both and tried out our beloved little bugs. Seems like the bug somehow changed . Now, the color stays after re-loading it from the Asset Browser (most of the time), but the Bump value still is replaced with the full 100%, instead of the previously set value before loading it into the database. Just for a quick update on the topic from my side.

2024-04-23, 12:19:25
Reply #21

John_Do

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Since there was a Hotfix to Corona 11 and also the new 2024.4 had some promising new feature, I've installed both and tried out our beloved little bugs. Seems like the bug somehow changed . Now, the color stays after re-loading it from the Asset Browser (most of the time), but the Bump value still is replaced with the full 100%, instead of the previously set value before loading it into the database. Just for a quick update on the topic from my side.

Ufff, I guess I will keep 2024.1 installed just to save assets 💀 Really a shitty era for software reliability