Author Topic: "Colored Coating Absorption"  (Read 7200 times)

2015-08-21, 01:23:11

JeffPatton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jeffpatton.net
Saw this new feature outlined in a thea render video:
https://youtu.be/AM6FE5Egrqc?t=2m20s

I still use hacks like falloff maps/gradient ramps, so something like this would be helpful for things like the pearl paints.
Workstation: AMD Threadripper 3970x with 128gb RAM and 2x Titan RTX GPUs (win10 pro)

2015-08-21, 11:35:34
Reply #1

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
It looks very cool with its physical correctness and friendly UI, but I suppose it is possible to create the same effect using some really easy material setup in Corona. Also the guy in the tutorial did not touch the main color's value, which I guess would be essential here, and said that it is probably impossible to recreate it. I'm gonna check this. :)
Marcin Miodek | chaos-corona.com
3D Support Team Lead - Corona | contact us

2015-08-21, 15:46:07
Reply #2

JeffPatton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jeffpatton.net
Hopefully there's an easy method to do this in Corona that I've missed or just haven't thought of.  Naturally the gradient ramps & falloff maps I've had to use for some of the pearl paint materials don't react to HDR/EXR lighting properly.  Those methods also require a bit of fine tuning for each camera angle.  So I'm all for something that will simplify that process while producing realistic and consistent results.
Workstation: AMD Threadripper 3970x with 128gb RAM and 2x Titan RTX GPUs (win10 pro)

2015-08-21, 15:53:11
Reply #3

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
I was about to give you this link https://download.corona-renderer.com/materials/Jeff_Patton_Car_Paints.zip , but then I looked at your username. :)

2015-08-21, 18:02:20
Reply #4

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
These are the results of my crazy experiments. I'm not posting anything other than images yet, because it's really crazy and maybe doesn't make sense. There was only one color involved in this material and it wasn't changed in any of these images. This has to simulate something like the thickness of the absorptive layer they are showing.

2015-11-14, 13:04:17
Reply #5

Duron

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
These are the results of my crazy experiments. I'm not posting anything other than images yet, because it's really crazy and maybe doesn't make sense. There was only one color involved in this material and it wasn't changed in any of these images. This has to simulate something like the thickness of the absorptive layer they are showing.

Maru, can you please show me the material setup of this. Its a really weird but interesting appraoch.
Thanks!

2015-11-15, 18:00:53
Reply #6

JeffPatton

• Active Users
    • View Profile
    • jeffpatton.net
Maru, can you please show me the material setup of this. Its a really weird but interesting appraoch.
+1

FWIW, I recently tried a BerconGradient map set to normal and assigned a dummy object linked to the corona sun as the distance object.  If I assigned the corona sun directly it crashed frequently.  Anyway, it's just another flawed approach obviously but with the sun in the right place it can produce some interesting effects.

2015-11-17, 16:54:30
Reply #7

maru

• Corona Team
  • Active Users
  • Marcin
    • View Profile
Sorry, this topic got forgotten. ;)
Here is the file without the car. Now I realized this is something completely different. I was trying to simulate the thickness of the transparent top layer.

2015-11-17, 19:10:07
Reply #8

Nekrobul

• Primary Certified Instructor
  • Active Users
    • View Profile
Sorry, this topic got forgotten. ;)
Here is the file without the car. Now I realized this is something completely different. I was trying to simulate the thickness of the transparent top layer.

Maru wich 3ds is this?

By the way i do not know if i got the idea right but here is my solution.
« Last Edit: 2015-11-17, 20:05:23 by Nekrobul »
---------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.blackbellstudio.com/
https://www.behance.net/blackbell3d
CEO at "Blackbell Studio"

2022-01-14, 20:19:33
Reply #9

Ondra

• Administrator
  • Active Users
  • Turning coffee to features since 2009
    • View Profile
Coat now part of PBR material
Rendering is magic.How to get minidumps for crashed/frozen 3ds Max | Sorry for short replies, brief responses = more time to develop Corona ;)