Author Topic: Nurbs to quad mesh conversion?  (Read 4884 times)

2014-11-25, 17:50:09

GestaltDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Has anyone a method to do this, I have been around in circles trying to find a good solution to get Rhino Nurbs data into a high quality quad mesh for UVW unwrapping in Max.
There are always trimmed surfaces so T-Splines as an intermediate is out of the question, closest solution I have is to convert to N-gons mesh in MOI from Rhino and then to Max as obj, far from perfect though. Would love to know if anyone has a solution??

Cheers...

2014-11-25, 22:12:05
Reply #1

pokoy

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Something like this doesn't exist. The NPower plugins have a quad output option when importing a NURBS surface but it is not the quads we usually want, it's really something else and really far from what you'd want.
Actually, the only solution is to re-topo over your nurbs, there's no automatic way to do that (yet...)

2014-11-26, 08:06:35
Reply #2

GestaltDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Thanks pokoy, I was thinking as much :( Great product opportunity here for someone though!
I am guessing that trimmed surface edge resolution must have been solved for FEA quad model translation so it can 
not be that far away!

2014-12-09, 01:59:51
Reply #3

Benjamin_F

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Maybe Modo's CAD loader plugin(now Power Traslators) can do a better job. Unfortunately there is now trial, or at least I couldn't find it.

2014-12-10, 10:54:41
Reply #4

GestaltDesign

• Active Users
    • View Profile
Looks promising!!